Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Which SPG hotel in Seoul for a 3 night tourist visit?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2013, 1:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold

DH and I will spend 3 nights in Seoul May 21-24 on a stopover on the way back to the US from a vacation in Borneo. I have 350K plus SPG points and would like to use some to cover the hotel stay in Seoul.

Which property has the best location for a tourist? We will use public transportation for our sightseeing. We also enjoy walking to sites and restaurants.

Which has the best free nights deal? The Westin Chosun is coming up 16K SPG points for that time for a regular room with no breakfast.

Do any of the Seoul SPG hotels let you book a basic room and then upgrade to executive floor when you get there by giving them some more SPG points when you check in? We did this in Shanghai at the LeMeridian.
Old Oct 25, 2013, 1:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by susiesan
DH and I will spend 3 nights in Seoul May 21-24 on a stopover on the way back to the US from a vacation in Borneo. I have 350K plus SPG points and would like to use some to cover the hotel stay in Seoul.

Which property has the best location for a tourist? We will use public transportation for our sightseeing. We also enjoy walking to sites and restaurants.

Which has the best free nights deal? The Westin Chosun is coming up 16K SPG points for that time for a regular room with no breakfast.

Do any of the Seoul SPG hotels let you book a basic room and then upgrade to executive floor when you get there by giving them some more SPG points when you check in? We did this in Shanghai at the LeMeridian.
This thread may be helpful
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...uth-korea.html
Old Oct 25, 2013, 1:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KENNECTED
Yes, it is. I didn't see that thread.

Looks like the Westin Chosun or Sheraton D Cube would be the best locations. neither one has an executive room available for SPG points. Don't lnow if either would let me buy an upgrade at check in.

Westin is 16K points, D Cube is 10K points for free nights for my needed dates.
Old Oct 25, 2013, 1:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Yes, it is. I didn't see that thread.

Looks like the Westin Chosun or Sheraton D Cube would be the best locations. neither one has an executive room available for SPG points. Don't lnow if either would let me buy an upgrade at check in.

Westin is 16K points, D Cube is 10K points for free nights for my needed dates.
Did you just look online or did you call SPG? Often times, you need to call SPG to book a room using points above a standard room. Try calling or using the chat feature and see if you can book an executive room using more points.
Old Oct 25, 2013, 3:35 pm

Programs: AC-E, SPG-Plat, GP-P, HH-G
For a first time tourist, would recommend the Westin

I like the Sheraton D-Cube and for my trip next week to Seoul, I will be staying at the D-Cube. While it is still convenient for the subway, the Westin is much more convenient for walking around the main (traditional) tourist spots.

The Westin is a solid hotel but it is no longer my SPG first choice.

The D-Cube, aside from the connected shopping centre is not within any tourist area that I am aware of. But I know the City quite well and not involved in any tourist activity.
Old Oct 25, 2013, 3:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, AS MVPG, SPG PLAT 100
Chosun is in Central Seoul, north side of Han River. That's where you want to be. No other SPG properties are even remotely close. Great service, rooms only slightly dated.
Old Oct 25, 2013, 4:06 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

Originally Posted by paullevi
Chosun is in Central Seoul, north side of Han River. That's where you want to be. No other SPG properties are even remotely close. Great service, rooms only slightly dated.
But for 16k points per night, I'd think twice about staying here. No argument, it's the best location, but the Sheraton D-Cube is a comparable hotel (better, in some ways, including quality of rooms and elite treatment) and much better value.
Old Oct 25, 2013, 4:34 pm

Programs: Starwoods/ Marriott Life Time Platinum, Hilton-Diamond, and HP
Westin Chosen

I had a great 3 day stay at the Westin Chosen in April. Airport check-in and transportation, and excellent Platinum treatment, upgrade to a deluxe suite.
Old Oct 25, 2013, 9:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
We had a great, but brief, stay at the D cube last month. It might not be in a tourist area but getting around Seoul is relatively easy.

Apparently my choice to purchase a Dooson Bears baseball cap, rather than the LG Twins whom they were playing that night, didn't go over very well with the frontline staff.... or ICN security.
Old Oct 26, 2013, 2:16 am

Programs: SPG Plat
Sheraton D Cube would be my pick
Old Oct 26, 2013, 3:57 am

Programs: LH Sen, Starwood Amb, Hilton Diamond
If this is your first time and you need to do touristy stuff, then it's a no brainer - Stay at the Westin Chosun. The D-Cube is a very nice property, but totally out of the way, and it would make no sense to stay there unless you want to be in that area of town for some reason.
Old Oct 26, 2013, 9:32 am

Programs: UA, BAEC, HH Gold, PC Plat, Marriott Silver.
Stayed @ D Cube in May, as a family group of nine, we were in Seoul for my son's wedding. I was impressed with everything at the hotel. Cannot comment on alternatives.

It has a station under the complex, we did not find traveling to anywhere in the city a problem. Actually it was part of the holiday experience.

BTW... taxi fares are also very reasonable in the area, we moved hotels, to one by Gimpo airport, it was really cheap for the distance.
Old Oct 26, 2013, 12:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jpdx
But for 16k points per night, I'd think twice about staying here. No argument, it's the best location, but the Sheraton D-Cube is a comparable hotel (better, in some ways, including quality of rooms and elite treatment) and much better value.
Why would you think twice? 16K points for a hotel like this doesn't seem all that much.

Since I have no status with SPG I won't get any elite treatment or other perks. I'm just looking for the best value in a hotel for the SPG points I will use to cover the hotel stay.

How long is the subway ride from the D Cube to the tourist area of Seoul? How much time would I spend transporting around to get to places to see? The only other large Asian city with a subway system I can compare to is Tokyo. it cab take 30 minutes to get from one side of the city to the other.
Old Oct 26, 2013, 1:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KENNECTED
Did you just look online or did you call SPG? Often times, you need to call SPG to book a room using points above a standard room. Try calling or using the chat feature and see if you can book an executive room using more points.
I used the online chat to confirm a reservation with an upgrade from the business deluxe room to an executive club room. The nice lady on the chat made the reservation for me. It is 18,750 points per night. I didn't have to wait until 5 nights before arrival to ask for the upgrade since she took care of it for me now.

So Westin Chosun it is. I decided to go with the more convenient to sightseeing hotel.

I can always change my mind and cancel later if a new hotel opens in Seoul that is rated even better than this on FT and TA. But I know I do have a confirmed reservation for the dates I need.
Old Oct 26, 2013, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC

For location - Westin Chosun hands down. Walker Hill is not in the action.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.