Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Pasadena Cancels My New Year's StarPoints Stay

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sheraton Pasadena Cancels My New Year's StarPoints Stay

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2013, 3:23 pm
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
Originally Posted by RAPC
Good luck to those who have been hit with cancellations. Hopefully SPG Corporate can act to resolve it. I certainly wouldn't be happy to be in the position of the OP. SPG Corporate come through more often than not, so hopefully this will be one of those times.
I agree. I too hope SPG corp come through. If this happened to me, I would be furious. Even more so for a special occasion stay like over New Years.
Old Mar 28, 2013, 5:22 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Nothing current
In addition to contacting SPG corp, I would also file a complaint with the FTC

http://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles...-complaint-ftc

I know that airlines file mistake fares all the time but must honor those fares and this is a parallel situation. Back when I was working for an airline, we did get contacted by the FTC a few times due a customer complaint regarding our handling of a mistake fare.

Good luck and keep on it until you get a satisfactory resolution! ^

-S
Old Mar 28, 2013, 8:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
They are 'claiming' this is a system 'glitch' - in order for such a claim to hold up in a court case, they would need to prove a technical error occurred. Loading availability (at a recognized price) is not a glitch, it's a mistake - and they can't get out of this one so easy.

I hope the OP has already opened a case with SW corporate and had reviewed the applicable CA Innskeeper laws as advised.

This is not the first time a hotel has tried the "shoot, we shouldn't have sold those rooms for $200 - now we can get $500 - just cancel the cheaper reservations" trick.

You made this booking in good faith and this was not a mistake rate.
Old Mar 28, 2013, 8:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by bocastephen
They are 'claiming' this is a system 'glitch' - in order for such a claim to hold up in a court case, they would need to prove a technical error occurred. Loading availability (at a recognized price) is not a glitch, it's a mistake - and they can't get out of this one so easy.

I hope the OP has already opened a case with SW corporate and had reviewed the applicable CA Innskeeper laws as advised.

This is not the first time a hotel has tried the "shoot, we shouldn't have sold those rooms for $200 - now we can get $500 - just cancel the cheaper reservations" trick.

You made this booking in good faith and this was not a mistake rate.

Exactly. This is a normal hotel rate, not something that in any way resembles a glitch, such as missing a decimal point.
Old Mar 28, 2013, 10:32 pm

Programs: DL Gold (2.5MM program miles), Airtran A+ Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
I'm impressed that Starwood has social media reps monitoring this thread. The fact that two of them have posted here advising you to contact Corporate should give you hope that they can force the property operator to honor your original reservation.

IMHO, you've been "walked" and, at a minimum, the property has an obligation to put you up elsewhere at their expense.

Best of luck!
Old Mar 29, 2013, 2:22 am

I could accept this sort of thing if it happened because of an act of God but not because of an act of Greed.
Old Mar 29, 2013, 4:35 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1k, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, CC Gold
Originally Posted by 3544quebec
I could accept this sort of thing if it happened because of an act of God but not because of an act of Greed.
Are they not approaching one and the same?
Old Mar 29, 2013, 5:24 am

Programs: Liftime Titanium Elite Marriott
This is really not a good situation. No one deserves to have to deal with crap like this.
Old Mar 29, 2013, 5:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by OldRoyal
I'm impressed that Starwood has social media reps monitoring this thread. The fact that two of them have posted here advising you to contact Corporate should give you hope that they can force the property operator to honor your original reservation.

IMHO, you've been "walked" and, at a minimum, the property has an obligation to put you up elsewhere at their expense.

Best of luck!
Starwood doesn't consider it a walk when the person is notified in advance. Of course, that doesn't make it acceptable. The OP should contact corporate ASAP since the hotel is unwilling to find an acceptable solution.
Old Mar 29, 2013, 6:12 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, Hertz Plat, Centurion, too many airlines
Between this, the Sheraton Maui, and my own personal experience at W FLL last week, I am really starting to have serious doubts about giving future business to SPG properties. Corporate gives the properties so much leeway to pull the rug out from under customers and it is starting to really sour me on the program. From not getting a suite upgrade in my last 28 stays, even when having a suite upgrade confirmation, to these blatant money grabs, corporate has basically let individual properties run amok and there is zero accountability. Funny, I NEVER experience these problems at Hyatt... if there were the number of Hyatts that there are SPG props, I would be done with SPG for good.
Old Mar 29, 2013, 7:01 am

Programs: AA EXPlt, SPG Plt, Nat EE
My advice to the OP and everyone else who had stays cancelled at the property is this. Don't stay there. They obviously don't want you, they may have resold your rooms (or maybe not) but the bottom line is if you force them to honor your reservation you will not be treated well or have a good stay.

Next step, find the nearest property you are comfortable with. It helps with part 3 if it's an SPG hotel.

The third step is to determine what will make you comfortable staying at the alternate property. Is it free nights, points, guaranteed suite, transportation to the parade? Whatever it is, sit down with your family and decide what will make you all as happy as if your original reservation had been honored.

Finally, negotiate with Starwood to get the compensation you need. No need to resort to threats, being nasty or yelling (not that you have). Treat is as a professional, businesslike negotiation.

You aren't going to end up with your original plans and you might not be as happy as you were when you originally booked the trip but there's a chance for you to come out whole or even ahead.
Old Mar 29, 2013, 7:10 am

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
Originally Posted by BigBopper
My advice to the OP and everyone else who had stays cancelled at the property is this. Don't stay there. They obviously don't want you, they may have resold your rooms (or maybe not) but the bottom line is if you force them to honor your reservation you will not be treated well or have a good stay.
Really? You think they will treat the customer badly if they do end up staying there?

I expect they may get the worst room in the category they reserved, but they aren't going to be denied points, they aren't going to be denied other benefits, and no one is going to insult them, ignore them, or otherwise mistreat them, unless they are predisposed to insult, ignore, or mistreat guests in the first place. Mainly because 98% of the staff won't know that "this is the guy who forced us to give him a room for a good price", but also because most people don't behave like that.
Old Mar 29, 2013, 7:34 am

Programs: AA EXPlt, SPG Plt, Nat EE
Originally Posted by Out of my Element
Really? You think they will treat the customer badly if they do end up staying there?

I expect they may get the worst room in the category they reserved, but they aren't going to be denied points, they aren't going to be denied other benefits, and no one is going to insult them, ignore them, or otherwise mistreat them, unless they are predisposed to insult, ignore, or mistreat guests in the first place. Mainly because 98% of the staff won't know that "this is the guy who forced us to give him a room for a good price", but also because most people don't behave like that.
Many of us here, including myself, consider getting the worst room in the category part of being treated poorly. I'd imagine SPG does as well since it directly contradicts their T&C's if you have any status.
Old Mar 29, 2013, 9:32 am
mlm

What kind of BS is this with Sheraton ?

We have a reservation I made January 2,2013 for one night 12/31/13 at the Pasadena,CA Sheraton using Starwood points, made on SPG website. We also purchased the best tickets to Rose Parade on the first day they went on sale and plan to go to the Rose Bowl as well.

Yesterday I received a phone call from the hotel front desk supervisor saying that our reservation is cancelled, there was a glitch in their computer system allowing the reservation to be made as they are oversold that night.

I have the printed confirmation, and the reservation was made 1 year before our stay. The caller was very nonchalant. I explained that I had a printed confirmation, had purchased Rose Parade tickets and that this was NOT acceptable. She basically was saying "that's tough". She said they could give us some compensation. I said that if there was a glitch in their computer that is their problem, not mine. She said they would buy our Rose Parade tickets. I said NO, I bought our tickets the first moment they went on sale and have best seats.

All near by Pasadena hotels are sold out or require a 3 night stay etc. so changing hotels is not an option.

What would you suggest ? Sold out when I made the reservation 1 year in advance ??? I am FURIOUS. Our reservation is still showing up on the SPG website today.
Old Mar 29, 2013, 10:03 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Nothing current
Yeah. You and a bunch of other people are all in the same boat, it seems...

Follow the Lurkers' advice and contact SPG corporate

Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker II
I would advise the OP to contact Corporate Customer Service by toll-free at 800-328-6242 or by email at [email protected].
Good luck!

-S

Originally Posted by mlm
We have a reservation I made January 2,2013 for one night 12/31/13 at the Pasadena,CA Sheraton using Starwood points, made on SPG website. We also purchased the best tickets to Rose Parade on the first day they went on sale and plan to go to the Rose Bowl as well.

Yesterday I received a phone call from the hotel front desk supervisor saying that our reservation is cancelled, there was a glitch in their computer system allowing the reservation to be made as they are oversold that night.

I have the printed confirmation, and the reservation was made 1 year before our stay. The caller was very nonchalant. I explained that I had a printed confirmation, had purchased Rose Parade tickets and that this was NOT acceptable. She basically was saying "that's tough". She said they could give us some compensation. I said that if there was a glitch in their computer that is their problem, not mine. She said they would buy our Rose Parade tickets. I said NO, I bought our tickets the first moment they went on sale and have best seats.

All near by Pasadena hotels are sold out or require a 3 night stay etc. so changing hotels is not an option.

What would you suggest ? Sold out when I made the reservation 1 year in advance ??? I am FURIOUS. Our reservation is still showing up on the SPG website today.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.