Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westin Cape Town - Rental car needed?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2013, 7:38 pm

Programs: ,BW Rewards, Skymiles, Aeroplan, SPG, IHG, Marriott, Club Carlson, Alaska Airlines
Visit this site http://www.citysightseeing.co.za/compare-tours
It will help you in planning your trip. It stops at many attractions.
Buy the Red line and Blue Line Pass, good for 2 days.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 8:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat
DW and I spent a week at the Westin Cape Town without a car in November and never once felt the need for it. You'll be fine without one - not worth the hassle.

You can do a guided tour to get you out to the Winelands (who wants to worry about drinking & driving anyway?). I'd also recommend a guided tour for Cape Pointe and the drive along the coast - gorgeous.

DW & I are walkers - if you don't mind a few mile walk you'll be within an easy distance of the V&A Waterfront, Sea Pointe Promenade, and a walk through downtown to check out some of the shops / food on Long Street. We even walked from the Westin to Lion's Head base and then did the hike up & down. In retrospect we probably should have cabbed that one

As mgn2000 pointed out the Red & Blue bus passes are great. You can get around and see most of "must sees" in Cape Town on those 2 bus lines (Table Mountain, Kirstenbosch Gardens, etc). Definitely worth picking up the pass there - we really enjoyed that and found it invaluable to get out to some of the sites. The busses have pickups right outside the Westin. The 2 day pass can also include a Sunset Ride up to Signal Hill - we caught that on a perfect day and had a gorgeous sunset - if the weather cooperates consider that as well.

We also rented bikes one day from the V&A to help get around. We used the bikes to get the ~5 miles out to Camps Bay, spend some time at the beach, and eat lunch / happy hour at some of the restaurants with great views there. Make sure to make it around Camps Bay & Clifton.

Hope you enjoy your time in Cape Town! Very gorgeous city - one of my favorites
Old Mar 11, 2013, 11:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, UA Silver, HHDmd, MBvLTPLT, PCAmb/Dmd, HYT Dis
I was at the Westin for 5 days in January. We arrived by car from Stellenbosch after 2 days there (and had the car for more than a week driving from Port Elizabeth). When we arrived I dropped my family off and returned the car to Hertz which was a 10 minute walk (safe during daylight).

We did fine without the car for a couple days, but did end renting a car for 2 of our days there (this time from Avis - same 10 minute walk). We were able to get to the V&A Waterfront several times using the hotel shuttle (and walked back once, again during daylight). So first day was mainly spent down there at the aquarium and shopping. And second day we saw most of the main city sites on the Hop On/Hop Off bus mentioned above - which was great. Was not missing a car.

But after that we wanted to drive around the Cape including visiting the penguins in Boulder's Beach and driving Chapman's Peak and it just seemed easiest to have our own car. Plus on the day we did the bus, Table Mountain was closed - so having the car to go there first thing in the next morning vs. having to buy another pass or hire a taxi (especially if getting the car anyways) fit our needs. Then on the last day we used the car to go back to Camps Bay for beach time and then head out to World of Birds and Kirstenbosch Gardens. This would have been doable on the blue bus line, but having the car let us go the opposite direction and be on our own time.

For ease would have preferred to use the Europecar in the hotel, but could not get anywhere close to my corporate rate at Avis so made the walk up the hill. In general I think you can do fine without a car, but I found driving around Cape Town quite easy and having one for a few days can enhance your experience as well.

Last edited by dbuckho; Mar 11, 2013 at 11:30 pm
Old Mar 12, 2013, 1:47 am

Programs: DL Plat, Marriott Gold
You don't NEED a car per se, but it will make your experience better. I spent one week at the hotel and did the hop-on/hop off bus the first couple of days without a car. That helped me tick off all the city sights (District 6, Camps Bay, Table Mountain, etc.). Then, I rented a car for a few days and drove around Constantia, back to Camp's bay, and to the Cape Peninsula. I thought this was a good mix of driving when it was easy/necessary and not having a car when I didn't need it.

Driving is pretty easy in Cape Town as the city is small, and the Westin is right at the end of the highway into town. Good signage everywhere too.
Old Mar 12, 2013, 6:18 am

Programs: TK Miles&Smiles Elite, IB Plus Plata
Originally Posted by DCF
Do you understand the level of crime, even in and around Cape Town?

The Cape is a gorgeous, idyllic place with lovely, warm people of all colours and creeds.

But it also has the most appalling economic inequality as a legacy of Apartheid, and the fact that the government went down the lines of reconciliation and forgiveness rather than justice and retribution has if anything made the crime problem even worse, as desperate people have interpreted the lesson as "help yourself, crime does pay, and if you don't take it they will keep what they weren't entitled to in the first place".

You need to think twice about walking anywhere other than V+A Waterfront. Anywhere.

And I am always much keener to get a driver then to travel independently.
That is absolute rubbish. There is no problem walking around the city centre even the train station is fine during daylight, as well as it is no problem walking around in the Atlantic Seaboard, the Southern and Northern Sububrs and many other areas.

I have lived 1.5 years in Green Point and never have I ever felt unsafe. Just don't walk around with your camera hanging around your neck or similar stuff that immediately identifies you as a tourist. Don't walk around in the city centre at night and be careful at Long street. Never take your whole wallet with when you go clubbing. Just enough cash for drinks and the taxi back home. And I would advise you not to go to Woodstock and Observatory at night unless you go there by taxi or rental car and you know exactly where the restaurant or place is where you need to be.

It is definitely much nicer to have a rental car in Cape Town. The MyCiti bus is still in its early stages although most of the new bus stations are almost finished. For most of the activities one does not need a guide in my opinion. And without a car it is difficult and very time consuming to get to places such as the Cape of Good Hope, Clifton, Camps Bay, Kirstenbosch and the Winelands.

Driving is easy even for people who are used to drive on the right side. Most South Africans cannot drive so you will be fine.
After 2 hours you will be used to drive on the left and if not there will mostly be a car in front of you at least in the city.
Old Mar 24, 2013, 11:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat, LUV A-List, Hilton Gold, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Diamond!
Hello. Does anyone have a private driver they could pm me the info for? Thanks and much appreciated!
Old Mar 24, 2013, 2:08 pm

Programs: All Accor Plat, 1865 Voyager, AE E35K, HH Gold,Hyatt, Hrtz Gold, Marriott Gold, NEXUS
Originally Posted by MrNagy
Hello. Does anyone have a private driver they could pm me the info for? Thanks and much appreciated!
Sent you a pm.
Old May 16, 2013, 4:48 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3 MM+, BA (very) Blue, CO nobody
Originally Posted by allbrosca
Sent you a pm.
We are going there next February and would appreciate a private driver's name as well in a PM.
TIA
Old May 16, 2013, 5:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K (2MM), Marriott Lifetime Titanium (UGH), Uber Diamond
Originally Posted by allbrosca
Sent you a pm.
May I be so bold as to ask for the information as well? If you are not comfortable sharing with so many people, I totally understand.

My husband and I are heading to CPT in Sept for 4 days and are looking into options for a day trip to wine country. I would prefer a driver for all the obvious reasons.

Thank you in advance.
Chad
Old May 16, 2013, 5:24 pm

Programs: All Accor Plat, 1865 Voyager, AE E35K, HH Gold,Hyatt, Hrtz Gold, Marriott Gold, NEXUS
Originally Posted by SFO_Chad
May I be so bold as to ask for the information as well? If you are not comfortable sharing with so many people, I totally understand.

My husband and I are heading to CPT in Sept for 4 days and are looking into options for a day trip to wine country. I would prefer a driver for all the obvious reasons.

Thank you in advance.
Chad
No problem. Sent you a pm. I hope he works out for everyone!
Old Dec 10, 2017, 7:30 pm

Programs: United Member, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Gold
Any recommendations for Cape Town drivers?

Hello everyone,

Curious if someone can recommend a driver to take me + 2 for a day trip for wine tasting. Please PM me.

We’re planning (hoping) to wine taste this coming Saturday (12/16), assuming wineries are open during the Day of Reconciliation.

Thanks!

Last edited by WaterLilinyc; Dec 10, 2017 at 7:44 pm
Old Dec 11, 2017, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Would definitely recommend Luhambo Tours.

i think for most practical purposes Uber Black is much easier than attempting to drive given how cheap it is. We took tours to further afield places (Cape of good hope, penguins, Hermanus, Stellenbosch, Paarl etc.) and uber to camps bay and more locally.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.