Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Waikiki vs Royal Hawaiian on Oahu, HI + comments on Sheraton Kauai?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2012, 2:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA-PLT,-EXEC 2.7MM + UA-Former1k

Hi,

Whenever I post to FT w/ questions, I always get the best advice - and try to offer what I have in return. This time I find myself in near analysis paralysis....I have done as much research as I reasonably can elsewhere on the 'Net, but this is where the Real Knowledge is....so......I'm planning to take my family of 4 (myself, wife + two teenagers 17 + 14) to Hawaii for Christmas. We will be on Oahu from 12/20 - 12/24, Kauai from 12/24 - 12/27.

I've been looking at rooms and rates at the Sheraton Princess (I just canceled some early reservations I had there), the Royal Hawaiian and just noticed decent rates at the Sheraton Waikiki.

I've stayed at the Sheraton Waikiki before about 4 years ago, and it was nice enough, and I've walked through the grounds of the Royal Hawaiian which is very nearby and while it is clearly a nice place, is it worth the extra $175/night in rate? Neither property has full water views remaining (at an "affordable" price), the Waikiki is offering "Mountain view - i.e. DiamondHead, and the Royal is currently holding a garden view suite - both are double bed reservations.

Does anyone have (recent) direct experience with either property and comments for/against either one? We're already committed and not planning to change our reservations for the Sheraton Kauai, but if anyone has comments or experience/advice there, please include.

Mahalo in advance,

-Bartonio
Old Dec 14, 2012, 3:28 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
The Royal Hawaiian also has a higher resort fee than the Sheraton - and you have to pay extra for the beachfront lounge chairs. You can do a lot of activities on Oahu for the $175/day you'll save by staying at the Sheraton.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 3:35 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Hilton Diamond
If the Garden View suite is in the old building of Royal Hawaiian ....there is no doubt that the Sheraton Waikiki is the first choice.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 4:20 pm

Programs: SPG Plt, HHonors Gold, UA Gold, PC Plat, Marriott Gold
stayed in both...

up till last year would have recommended the RH... but then they devalued the plat amenity for the resort fee (used to be free lunch!) and then charged a bunch for the chairs on the beach. so i'd give them the thumbs down, esp since most rooms DONT face the beach...

so really, i'd say the sheraton. just my IMO tho
Old Dec 15, 2012, 7:18 am

Programs: AA Gold; SPG: Gold:
I was torn between the Sheraton and the Moana but due to traveling with an 11 year old staying at Sheraton. I would very much appreciate a review when you get back so I know what to expect there. Have a great trip.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 5:41 pm

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Plat 100 (LT Gold), IHG Spire, Hyatt Diamond, HH Gold, National EE, Hertz Prez Circle
Originally Posted by Bartonio
Hi,

Whenever I post to FT w/ questions, I always get the best advice - and try to offer what I have in return. This time I find myself in near analysis paralysis....I have done as much research as I reasonably can elsewhere on the 'Net, but this is where the Real Knowledge is....so......I'm planning to take my family of 4 (myself, wife + two teenagers 17 + 14) to Hawaii for Christmas. We will be on Oahu from 12/20 - 12/24, Kauai from 12/24 - 12/27.

I've been looking at rooms and rates at the Sheraton Princess (I just canceled some early reservations I had there), the Royal Hawaiian and just noticed decent rates at the Sheraton Waikiki.

I've stayed at the Sheraton Waikiki before about 4 years ago, and it was nice enough, and I've walked through the grounds of the Royal Hawaiian which is very nearby and while it is clearly a nice place, is it worth the extra $175/night in rate? Neither property has full water views remaining (at an "affordable" price), the Waikiki is offering "Mountain view - i.e. DiamondHead, and the Royal is currently holding a garden view suite - both are double bed reservations.

Does anyone have (recent) direct experience with either property and comments for/against either one? We're already committed and not planning to change our reservations for the Sheraton Kauai, but if anyone has comments or experience/advice there, please include.

Mahalo in advance,

-Bartonio
Ciao, Bartonio. I hope this advice finds you in time.

I'd stayed in both, because I checked out of the Royal Hawaiian to move into the Sheraton by choice. I'm not sure what your SPG status is, but the hotel seems to take very good care of Gold + Plat. Diamondhead views are actually quite nice, especially if you're up early and on a high floor to catch sunrise over the mountain.

With kids, I think that they will appreciate the Sheraton's pools and amenities much more than the slower/older pace of the RH. About the only thing I liked at the RH were the edamame-spiced nuts at the beach bar and the banana bread upon arrival. Sheraton's infinity pool, Rumfire, and especially breakfast in the Leahi were great touches.

As billxmerideth said, there's a lot more you can do with that $175 a day on O'ahu. Don't forget to leave Waikiki's tourist-trappings. Lots of beautiful things to see and do up around Haleiwa, or get away from the crowds on Papailoa Beach. One thing - be careful if you plan to surf, as this is high-surf season. If you're looking for lessons with the best, I'd suggest you go to Buttons Kaluhiokalani's school. Local legend, and very chill and helpful team.

PM me if you'd like some other tips or suggestions even when you're on-island.

Malama pono, and mele kalikimaka!
Old Oct 19, 2014, 2:02 pm

Programs: spg
I'm planning a stay on points with a 4 and 1 year old. Both have availability. RH has the service & tranquility going for it, Sheraton has the free lounge - a huge deal with kids. Stay is for mid-November, before Thanksgiving. Which would you recommend based on experience?
Old Oct 19, 2014, 3:47 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold; LEGO VIP, Amex Platinum, HHonors Gold
Since I'll be at the RH at about the same time, it would be better for me if the kids were at the Sheraton!

More seriously, the individual RH and Sheraton threads here seem to indicate the Sheraton is better for families, which is partially why we chose the RH.
Old Oct 19, 2014, 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by CRAZ8
Since I'll be at the RH at about the same time, it would be better for me if the kids were at the Sheraton!
Old Oct 19, 2014, 4:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
We're already committed and not planning to change our reservations for the Sheraton Kauai, but if anyone has comments or experience/advice there, please include.
We've stayed there multiple times and really like it. It's walkable to a variety of food, and there's good access to the rum works and coffee plantations, as well as the canyon.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 11:58 am

Programs: UA Premier Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite (Lifetime Platinum), HHonors Gold
Hi,
...the Waikiki is offering "Mountain view - i.e. DiamondHead, and the Royal is currently holding a garden view suite - both are double bed reservations.
Note that "Mountain View" rooms are *not* rooms with views of Diamond Head. The rooms with views of DH are actually quite desirable, as they also overlook most of Waikiki beach.

The mountains to which the "Mountain View" moniker is referring are the inland mountains on the other side of the H1. Essentially, they're just higher-up city view rooms.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 1:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K; Hilton Honors Diamond; SPG Platinum
we've stayed at both properties and both are nice.

even if you're staying at the RH, with the kids, you're more than likely to use the pool at the Sheraton anyway. and if you're Platinum, you may have good fortune with upgrades upon checkin (you're going at a good time).

all things considered, with the family, free breakfast, and pool, i say Sheraton.
Old Sep 6, 2015, 4:32 pm

Programs: DL 360, Marriott Ambassador, AA Plat
Apologies for rekindling an old thread, but I am in a very similar dilemma to the OP - whether to book the Sheraton Waikiki or the Royal Hawaiian for my first trip to Hawaii in early/mid July 2016.

For reference, we will be a family of four - me, my sister and our parents. I was initially thinking of using my points, but if I can't use the points to guarantee an ocean view room with a balcony, then I'd pay cash. Any opinions/knowledge here on whether each of these properties allow booking upgraded rooms by using extra points?

If I did use cash, the rooms I'd get are either the Oceanfront rooms in the Mailani Tower or a Diamond Head view room in the Sheraton. The Sheraton is about $2k cheaper (over 5 days). So would appreciate thoughts on whether the rooms are that much better in the RH to be worth the price difference.

Appreciate your thoughts and suggestions. I don't often travel with my family, so would love to get this one right.
Old Sep 7, 2015, 5:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Check special offers at the RH. I have just completed a 4 night stay at the RH with an Amex FHR 4 night for 3 rate which cost me less in total than 4 nights at the Sheraton.

The Sheraton is a massive people factory with staff who try hard to overcome limitations. The typical rooms though are tiny and frankly unpleasant. The RH has a totally different vibe. The pool area at the Sheraton (the best feature) can be used by RH guests. For me it is a no brainer. Check the Moana vs RH thread where I have a very recent comparison of all 3 properties. My view is if you don't book a suite at the Sheraton then choose another property.
Old Sep 7, 2015, 5:55 am

Programs: Platinum SPG, Marriott Platinum, United 1K, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum,
Originally Posted by Astronomer
Apologies for rekindling an old thread, but I am in a very similar dilemma to the OP - whether to book the Sheraton Waikiki or the Royal Hawaiian for my first trip to Hawaii in early/mid July 2016.

For reference, we will be a family of four - me, my sister and our parents. I was initially thinking of using my points, but if I can't use the points to guarantee an ocean view room with a balcony, then I'd pay cash. Any opinions/knowledge here on whether each of these properties allow booking upgraded rooms by using extra points?

If I did use cash, the rooms I'd get are either the Oceanfront rooms in the Mailani Tower or a Diamond Head view room in the Sheraton. The Sheraton is about $2k cheaper (over 5 days). So would appreciate thoughts on whether the rooms are that much better in the RH to be worth the price difference.

Appreciate your thoughts and suggestions. I don't often travel with my family, so would love to get this one right.
Guess it all depends on the time of year you are traveling, hopefully avoiding holidays. I was just at the Moana Surfrider last week. If you have SPG Platinum status, there are benefits to both hotels; however, I prefer the Moana Surfrider Platinum Lounge. Just make sure you ask for a tower room---the ocean views are quite good. My second choice is the Royal Hawaiian. I like the Sheraton as well, yet IMHO the other two hotels are going to be more memorable for your family.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.