Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

St. Regis Bal Harbour Resort, Miami Beach, FL [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

St. Regis Bal Harbour Resort, Miami Beach, FL [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2017, 11:58 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
Anyone know how the hotel fared? Opening pushed back to Saturday.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 8:38 pm

Update for those staying in the future: hotel has implemented a resort fee of $35 per night + tax. See this notice from their website:

Effective September 1, 2017, a resort fee of $35 plus tax per night will be charged to offer our guests access to the most commonly requested amenities and services around the resort.

This daily fee includes the following resort amenities:

One Fitness Class per day
Two Bicycle Rentals for up to two hours
High-Speed Internet with upgraded 15MB of connection
Daily Art Tour with Rosenbaum Gallery at The St. Regis Bal Harbour
Access to Remède Spa facilities, including showers, steam room, and sauna
Daily cocktail at The St. Regis Bar & Sushi Lounge
Old Oct 5, 2017, 9:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, DL Diamond, NK Gold, Mariott LT Plat/Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold
Still worth it. Great hotel. I get an upgrade to an Imperial Suite and amazing breakfast each stay.
Old Oct 8, 2017, 2:56 pm

Programs: BAEC, VS, Marriott, HH, Hertz PC
Could anyone offer some recent anecdotal evidence re Plat upgrades/treatment in general?

Based on this thread and other mentions it seems Plats are mostly treated well?It's taken a while but finally heading down there in the coming weeks...
Old Nov 2, 2017, 7:55 am

Programs: BAEC, VS, Marriott, HH, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Lawro
Could anyone offer some recent anecdotal evidence re Plat upgrades/treatment in general?

Based on this thread and other mentions it seems Plats are mostly treated well?It's taken a while but finally heading down there in the coming weeks...
Taking the opportunity to report back.

Excellent Plat upgrade to an Atlantic Suite, had booked a Grand Lux (2nd Cat). Fabulous suite and we really enjoyed our stay. I was thoroughly impressed with service across the property.

One thing to be aware of, as we were on the South side (?) of the building, the sun doesn't reach either of the balconies at any point during the day. Not a problem if you plan on spending all your time on the beach/at the pool but if you wanted to relax on the balcony, you'll be in the shade.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Nov 10, 2017, 11:28 am

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, DL PM, Bonvoy Titanium (Plat Life), HH G, Amtrak, B6, MR
I wanted to report on my recent stay. Spent 4 nights here with Mrs. sxpsxpsxp to celebrate a special occasion.

I booked via the Plat Concierge - redeemed points for 2 nights and did the SPG50 rate for the other two.

No upgrade. Booked the Grand Luxe Oceanfront room, floors 8-21, and got exactly that on floor 19. My understanding is that the hotel was completely sold out with a conference part of the time we were there, so that probably explains why.

The room was awesome. Spacious. Huge bathroom with separate bath & shower and a separate WC with its own sink. Water pressure in the shower was fantastic. The bed and pillows could've been a bit more comfortable, but hey, it's a hotel. The iOS AirPlay-enabled TV was cool, although it took us a while to figure out how to make it work and then it only worked once. Wouldn't work on subsequent tries. My biggest complaint (and it really isn't that big a deal in the grand scheme of things) is that they made a fuss about the smart TV in the bathroom that's integrated into the mirror. I thought I was being stupid because I couldn't figure out how to turn it on. Turns out it wasn't working in our room, and it took two calls to engineering to be told that it wasn't working and they couldn't fix it.

The staff was ridiculously helpful, bordering on obsequious. I'm not accustomed to being waited on quite at this level, so it was somewhat amusing. At one point I think I almost gave the pool attendant a heart attack as I put up my own umbrella.

At check-in I was advised that buffet breakfast was one of my options for my platinum amenity, so I chose that as I'd heard great things about it. Yet I still had to sign the check every day when leaving, and then had to have them manually remove the charges from my bill at check-out. That said, the buffet breakfast is awesome. I would expect as much, considering the $48/person charge.

We also had some munchies by the pool, had room service one night and got takeout from BH Burger Bar and a pastry from La Gourmandise. The food was excellent everywhere. And I have to say that it was often visually stunning as well. La Gourmandise is a feast for the eyes as well as the mouth, and the plate of sushi Mrs. sxpsxpsxp got from room service was so gorgeous to look at it that she had to take a picture.

The beach and pool were great as well.
controller1 and bhrubin like this.
Old Nov 11, 2017, 5:51 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by sxpsxpsxp
At check-in I was advised that buffet breakfast was one of my options for my platinum amenity, so I chose that as I'd heard great things about it. Yet I still had to sign the check every day when leaving, and then had to have them manually remove the charges from my bill at check-out. That said, the buffet breakfast is awesome. I would expect as much, considering the $48/person charge.
Hmmm... that is surprising/disappointing. My wife and I have grown fond of this property. She is Platinum and on our most recent stay, we did have to sign the check each day (which is not uncommon in my experience) but we never saw the charges on our bill. They were handled without intervention.

Regards
Old Jan 17, 2018, 3:07 pm

Programs: RA, UA MM 1k, AA EXP, Marriott LTP, Hyatt Plat, SPG100
I have an upcoming reservation at this property to celebrate a milestone birthday using my points. I've tried working with my Ambassador to line up an upgrade, since we will be 3 in a room. While she's made a good effort, doesn't appear she's been successful, as the hotel sent me a note directly offering me the opportunity to purchase a "discounted" upgrade for >$1,000 per night. This feels very off-putting and disingenuous to the platinum recognition program. Anyone else have this experience?

As SPG100, I never get suite upgrades, which is fine when I'm traveling on business and alone in the room. But it would be nice to actually reap some reward for my loyalty when traveling on vacation, and especially when it's a special occasion. I'm not a fussy traveler and don't have demanding requests. I'd just like to impress my mom once in a while when on a nice trip....show her that being a road warrior does have some perks. Intercontinental is very good at this, but Marriott and SPG....not so much.

I'm not going to get too worked up about it, as it sounds like a lovely resort no matter what room type we get. But I wonder if anyone thinks about the optics of programs like this? From the traveler's point of view, feels like SPG doesn't care so much about my 100+ nights per year as they do for short term revenue.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 3:13 pm

Programs: MR-Amb, Hyatt-Globalist, AA-EXP
Originally Posted by kit125
I have an upcoming reservation at this property to celebrate a milestone birthday using my points. I've tried working with my Ambassador to line up an upgrade, since we will be 3 in a room. While she's made a good effort, doesn't appear she's been successful, as the hotel sent me a note directly offering me the opportunity to purchase a "discounted" upgrade for >$1,000 per night. This feels very off-putting and disingenuous to the platinum recognition program. Anyone else have this experience?

As SPG100, I never get suite upgrades, which is fine when I'm traveling on business and alone in the room. But it would be nice to actually reap some reward for my loyalty when traveling on vacation, and especially when it's a special occasion. I'm not a fussy traveler and don't have demanding requests. I'd just like to impress my mom once in a while when on a nice trip....show her that being a road warrior does have some perks. Intercontinental is very good at this, but Marriott and SPG....not so much.

I'm not going to get too worked up about it, as it sounds like a lovely resort no matter what room type we get. But I wonder if anyone thinks about the optics of programs like this? From the traveler's point of view, feels like SPG doesn't care so much about my 100+ nights per year as they do for short term revenue.
What room types are available for those dates and did you put in an SNA request? The email you received may just be a general email that they send out to all guests, but even if it's not, it's not unusual for a hotel to only offer paid upgrades in advance and then still be willing to upgrade you when you check in if suites are still available.

I've stayed here a few times, and the base room is still likely to impress most travelers. Plus the hotel is usually pretty good about upgrades when there is availability so I wouldn't throw in the towel just yet.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 3:20 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold

If the hotel is sold out or has/expects very high occupancy for the dates of your stay, then this scenario is about unfortunate timing and not at all about poor elite recognition. If the hotel isn’t sold out or having high occupancy, then that’s a different story. So there’s nothing necessarily disingenuous or nefarious going on here.

FWIW, we will be staying here later this year on points, too. While I certainly hope for an upgrade, I also know that even the entry level rooms are a massive 650 square feet—and the standard suite junior suite upgrade is only 675 square feet. I’d think that even entry level rooms can accommodate 3 persons with that much space. So your concern about a “suite upgrade” here seems superfluous to me. That’s also why I am not bothering to waste 5 SNAs merely for an additional 25 square feet!

I almost always get upgraded, but I won’t be put out if I have to “settle” for a free 650 square feet room that ordinarily costs $1000.

Reaping the rewards on holiday is perfectly appropriate. But expecting to reap complimentary upgrades when a hotel is at high occupancy (as I expect it would be now and in the coming month) is unwise...and perhaps expecting too much.

That being said, you could be worried for naught: my Ambassador has on numerous occasions told me I couldn’t get an upgrade or couldn’t help get my SNAs to clear...only for me to arrive (even after SNAs were refunded) and still get a significant upgrade! There’s just no telling...
Old Jan 17, 2018, 3:24 pm

Programs: RA, UA MM 1k, AA EXP, Marriott LTP, Hyatt Plat, SPG100
Originally Posted by spgplat21
What room types are available for those dates and did you put in an SNA request? The email you received may just be a general email that they send out to all guests, but even if it's not, it's not unusual for a hotel to only offer paid upgrades in advance and then still be willing to upgrade you when you check in if suites are still available.

I've stayed here a few times, and the base room is still likely to impress most travelers. Plus the hotel is usually pretty good about upgrades when there is availability so I wouldn't throw in the towel just yet.

That's encouraging....a rollaway bed doesn't feel like a luxury experience, but I hope I'm wrong. There are no base level rooms available or junior suites for booking. But there are non-standard suites available. I did not use an SNA, as I don't select those anymore. I've never had one clear in 5 years. Maybe I'll be lucky and they oversold base rooms and get an upgrade based on that.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 4:24 pm

That's encouraging....a rollaway bed doesn't feel like a luxury experience, but I hope I'm wrong. There are no base level rooms available or junior suites for booking. But there are non-standard suites available. I did not use an SNA, as I don't select those anymore. I've never had one clear in 5 years. Maybe I'll be lucky and they oversold base rooms and get an upgrade based on that.
That stinks about availability. Given that, sadly, I think you may have a roll-away in your future unless they move you to a 2 queen standard room. But trust me, it is a very nice roll-away I think only the top end suites have two beds and in all my stays I don't think I've been upgraded to one of those without paying for at least an Imperial Suite to start with.

Let us know how the stay goes, and good luck on the upgrade.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 11:45 pm

Does the upgrade email from the hotel seem like an automated email? Perhaps it's just a generic email sent to maximize possible revenue. If it is indeed a generic email, I would try reaching out to the property directly and maybe ask to speak with a manager about your upcoming stay as you are celebrating a special occasion. Regardless, suite upgrades here can be a bit hit or miss, unfortunately. I had upgraded suites confirmed for several weeks prior to arrival, and then the morning of our stay, we were put back in standard rooms. So, try to keep expectations low, but reaching out to the property directly might be your best bet. Good luck, I'm sure you will enjoy your stay regardless!

(Side note about suite types: the 'standard' junior suite really doesn't add much. You get a small kitchenette, but you lose some of the closet space and the two-section bathroom setup. I typically find that they try to upgrade to higher level suites, and those have blown me away each time. The next two levels (grand lux and imperial suites) do only have one king bed, but there is plenty of room for a roll-away. The deluxe oceanfront suites (lower floors, but bigger, and thus, more expensive) have a den/media room with a sofa bed which could sleep three in total. The two-bedroom royal suites have two kings (connecting suites) and could thus sleep 4 without rollaways/sleeper sofas, but the chance of an upgrade to this is likely pretty slim!)
Old Feb 28, 2018, 1:04 pm

I have an upcoming stay here (still over 3 months away), and I just got an email from the hotel saying they have options for a guaranteed, 'discounted' suite upgrade. We booked a room on points, and they said they would give us a 'credit' for the best available rate of the standard room if we wanted to upgrade to a suite. So it seems like the same price as what a regular/cash upgrade would be, although they are allowing it on a points booking. The offer was about $600 a night for an upgrade to a one bedroom suite.

Has anyone else received a similar email or have an experience like this?

I'm also curious to know how the situation above panned out, but it definitely seems like the hotel is making a push to maximize revenue from paid upgrades.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by svo242
I have an upcoming stay here (still over 3 months away), and I just got an email from the hotel saying they have options for a guaranteed, 'discounted' suite upgrade. We booked a room on points, and they said they would give us a 'credit' for the best available rate of the standard room if we wanted to upgrade to a suite. So it seems like the same price as what a regular/cash upgrade would be, although they are allowing it on a points booking. The offer was about $600 a night for an upgrade to a one bedroom suite.

Has anyone else received a similar email or have an experience like this?

I'm also curious to know how the situation above panned out, but it definitely seems like the hotel is making a push to maximize revenue from paid upgrades.
Yes, I've received this offer before. If you need the suite for the space, go for it. The one bedroom suites here are all amazing, but if you don't need the extra space, I would save the cash and spend it on other things. Or I might check again at check-in to see if they make a better cash upgrade offer at that time.

The one bedroom suites are all specialty suites, so they are not included in the upgrade pool anyway. On a super slow night, it's possible you'd get upgraded to one, but the typical platinum upgrade, if available, is to a junior suite, which is basically a regular room with a tiny kitchenette included in the hall between the bedroom and the bathroom.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.