Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Can starwood employees file complaints against customers?!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2012, 7:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Flagship W for lots of HVC's. Almost a guarantee the suite was comped to some VIP type. Yes, chains do maintain PITA lists and this incident won't help OP the next time he needs something.

Real answer is that there are at least three nicer places within 100' of the front entrance (Loews, Waldorf, Benjamin) so why stay at pretentious place in the first place?
Old Aug 4, 2012, 8:14 pm
Tak

Programs:  UA 1MM, JAL JGC Diamond, SPG Lifetime PLT, AMEX PLT
If we see those kind of battle often, SPG would change the policy like PRIORITY UPGRADE SUBJECT TO THE STATUS OF PLATINUM MEMBERS(such as P-VIP, P-Ambassador, P75, P-50, P-bottom).
Actually, I believe this is what happens, and not availability upon check in.
If this becomes formal policy, nobody can argue for no-upgrade, and hotels can decide whatever they want since they never disclose guests's status to any other guests.

If I want UPGRADE, I just talk nicely and even I do not get Suite, leave front desk with THANK YOU and SMILE.
Sometimes, they release the pre-blocked suite to a bottom member like me(since I have seen there was a welcome card with different guest name in the suite).
Old Aug 4, 2012, 8:45 pm

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
If you want a suite just pay for it, nothing says you deserve the last room, and most properties do hold back a room for VIPs
Old Aug 4, 2012, 9:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM (FO soon), A3 Gold, TK Classic Plus, SPG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Diamond, National EE
Originally Posted by StevenSeagalFan
The nerve of some people.

Really? You didn't get your suite? POOR YOU, OH WHOA IS ME!

Seriously? Be happy with what they give you.
If a hotel doesn't want to abide by the terms and conditions of SPG, perhaps they should deflag and make their way as an independent.

2ndTOTY (and doubtless many others) likely booked his stay at the hotel in question specifically due to its association with SPG. If the hotel wants that business, then they should certainly abide by the terms of the program on their end.

No idea what room classes were left and what's in the upgrade pool here, but I do not consider asking for published benefits to be honored to be particularly whiny.
Old Aug 4, 2012, 10:19 pm

Programs: A loyal Amerisuites customer... oh wait
So, to get back to the thread topic:

I sure hope so. Whatever the OP's circumstances are, I hope that Starwood has a process to protect its staff, and the majority of its guests, from a few bad apples.
Old Aug 4, 2012, 10:21 pm

OP, was the suite in question a standard suite? You do realize that
  • the platinum benefit is an upgrade to a standard suite, and
  • the fact that you were able to book a suite online is not conclusive proof that you were denied your plat benefit,
right?

For the record, I do wish Starwood properties made clear on their websites which suites count as standard. If you're reading, Lurkers, please consider this a request (however vain) that this be added to the brand operating standards.
Old Aug 4, 2012, 10:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by beltway
  • the fact that you were able to book a suite online is not conclusive proof that you were denied your plat benefit,
right?

For the record, I do wish Starwood properties made clear on their websites which suites count as standard. If you're reading, Lurkers, please consider this a request (however vain) that this be added to the brand operating standards.
Fantastic suites are the standard suites at Ws--someone correct my if I'm wrong (weird places like South Beach excluded).
Old Aug 4, 2012, 10:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP(.96MM), AMEX Platinum, United Premier Silver, Delta Gold, SPG Platinum 50, Hilton Gold VIP
Originally Posted by 2ndTOTY
Fantastic suites are the standard suites at Ws--someone correct my if I'm wrong (weird places like South Beach excluded).
yup, Fantastic suites are the standard suites.. lowest category of a suite...

Fantastic Suite
Spectacular Suite
Mega Suite
Wow Suite
Extreme Wow
Old Aug 4, 2012, 10:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP(.96MM), AMEX Platinum, United Premier Silver, Delta Gold, SPG Platinum 50, Hilton Gold VIP
I would send off an email to Nicole, the Guest Services Talent Coach at the W New York Lexington, as she handled my complaint. The gist of her reponse to me was as follows:

"We hope you will give us another chance, and if so, please contact me at least 7 days prior to your return so that I may provide you a guaranteed upgrade to one of our Fantastic Suites as a gesture of our concern. Thank you again for bringing your concerns to our attention.

Many thanks,

Nicole Fondry "

If you need her e-mail , let me know ...... Needless to say, I will never stay at that hotel again even if she did guarantee an upgrade for me ...
Old Aug 5, 2012, 1:55 am

Programs: Marriott & SPG Plat, HH Diamond, Accor Plat, ex-Fairmont Plat, ex-Swissotel Eleva
Originally Posted by beltway
right?

OP can clarify if I understood wrongly.

I thought OP said:
1. The FDA at the said Hotel highlighted there are no standard suites available for upgrades (for the umpteen time as well... i have no idea if OP meant it was always at this property or across many different SPG properties) and gave a long list of crap excuses.
2. He finally have had enough and decided to call the FDA's bluff by getting his friend to book a standard suite directly (done within 5 mins and got the confirmation it was available), and within 20 mins, his friend had checked into the standard suite that was supposedly sold out!
3. With this as evidence, he called the FDA a liar, and the FDA wanted to counter report OP to corporate.

And so: OP proved
1. There was a standard suite available,
2. Not just it was available online, it was ready to be sold, 'cos it was sold to his friend 5 mins later, after the FDA said it was completely sold out.
(and what the FDA did was completely against SPG rules. )

But this is based on my reading of OP's replies, and OP pls correct me if I am wrong.

And if I read correctly, then I think OP needs to file a complaint against that particular FDA with OP's friend giving supporting evidences.
(How on earth such a person is allowed to carry out further threats if he was already in the wrong?)
Old Aug 5, 2012, 2:01 am
formerly fdemoulin

Programs: SPG Lifetime Platinum, BA Silver, Virgin Flying Club Red
No, had a friend staying with me so I had him book the suite--I understand that the guy thought I was "playing tricks on him" but I wasn't happy with the trick that the front desk pulled on me. Only ended up paying for one room (after a long call to corporate due to the FD being so unhelpful) on the original rate as I should have received the suite at checkin. To be clear, I didn't occupy the original room that they put me in.

The W Lex really needs to get its act together when it comes to suite upgrades. I've heard every excuse (huge convention, wedding, etc) and finally just got sick of getting lied to--really annoying to have to fight for these upgrades (not to mention getting yelled at for requesting a benefit that they consent to by virtue of their participation in SPG).
Try using some manners, don't you know you can't go on calling people liars! I never have problems with upgrades if available, just try being polite. I have seen pushy customers such as yourself being incredibly rude to staff, no need and it gives all plats a bad name!
Old Aug 5, 2012, 4:30 am

The W Lex really needs to get its act together when it comes to suite upgrades. I've heard every excuse (huge convention, wedding, etc) and finally just got sick of getting lied to--really annoying to have to fight for these upgrades (not to mention getting yelled at for requesting a benefit that they consent to by virtue of their participation in SPG).
Why in the world do you keep going back there?
Old Aug 5, 2012, 7:40 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by LIH Prem
Why in the world do you keep going back there?
The W @ Lex. is trendy and cool and people want to stay at such places. There are a stack of nicer (and less expensive) places within 1 block of the W, yet people stay there.

They get their jollies blowing off people they don't consider important. And, shiny plastic cards from corporate don't make you important in NYC. Drop a couple of thousand on Russian vodka at the Whiskey Bar downstairs and you'll find your comped suite quite nicely.

The FD guy probably got a good laugh out of this one and a cash bonus to boot !
Old Aug 5, 2012, 8:30 am

Programs: DL-MM/FC/FO AA-EXP/MM Starwood-Platinum Marriott-Platinum Hilton-Gold Hyatt-Diamond
For those that think that every available suite being pre-blocked for another Platinum that has not yet arrived means that an earlier arriving Platinum is out of lot, think again. Read this thread and see where William clearly states that the upgrade goes to the guest arriving first, regardless of what has been pre-assigned.

TW
Old Aug 5, 2012, 8:43 am

Programs: SPG Plat
Originally Posted by sbtinme
Anyone has the right to ask ANYTHING, but the hotel is well within their rights to refuse to do what you outline above.

If upgraded rooms have been pre-assigned to guests arriving later, then they are often (but not always) taken out of sellable inventory. At this point, they are not available to be assigned to any other guest.

Your statement is akin to advising me that I have the right to ask the police officer not to ticket me for driving 90 miles down Main St -- but, the cop surely has a right to ticket me nonetheless.
Pre-assigned rooms are usually not taken out of sellable inventory from my experience... but if you refer to the post above mine he has clearly pointed out what William has said.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.