Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

What SPG property for a romantic spa/retreat getaway?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2012, 5:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United Lifetime Gold;SPG Gold (occasional platinum);SW;etc.

I'm exploring options for a June anniversary getaway for my husband and I. We're traveling from New Orleans and are looking for relaxing and "away from it all". I would love a bungalow or some sort of private feeling room. We don't want lots of activities or socializing just beautiful scenery and a relaxed, refreshing escape. We might also pamper ourselves with some spa time. The trip will be for 4-5 nights so I don't want to spend a lot of time traveling. I'm thinking in the US or Mexico or possibly somewhere in the Caribbean that is easy to get to. I'm open to beach, mountains and just about anything in between.

I can splurge a bit and also have about 150,000 SPG points so I might do some combination of points and $.

Any suggestions or reviews of SPG options will be greatly appreciated.
Old Mar 29, 2012, 6:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Haven't been there, but I read good things about St. Regis Punta Mita resort in Mexico.
Old Mar 29, 2012, 6:43 pm

Programs: Marriott AMB, Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by Thunderroad
Haven't been there, but I read good things about St. Regis Punta Mita resort in Mexico.
Been there last December, one of the best resorts in the region if not the best. The service was excellent.
Old Mar 29, 2012, 6:50 pm

Programs: Marriott LTT, Hilton Dia, Hyatt Expl, Avis Pres, Hertz Pres, National EE, AA Gold, UA Silver
I'm headed to the St. Regis Punta Mita next month with my wife. While trying to decide where to go (with parameters that were similar to yours), I had narrowed down my list to the St. Regis Punta Mita and the Hacienda properties. Since I was able to find award seats to PVR, I ended up picking the St. Regis.
Old Mar 29, 2012, 6:52 pm

Programs: HH Silver, MR Plat Prem & LT Plat, Hyatt Plat,SPG Plat, Hertz PC, National EE, UA 1K
Originally Posted by travelmom4
June anniversary ............. I'm thinking in the US or Mexico or possibly somewhere in the Caribbean that is easy to get to.

And free heat stroke in these locations!

What about the Equinox in VT? Has mountains, remoteness, and is beautiful. June will be perfect in VT!
Old Mar 29, 2012, 6:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MarshKing
I'm headed to the St. Regis Punta Mita next month with my wife. While trying to decide where to go (with parameters that were similar to yours), I had narrowed down my list to the St. Regis Punta Mita and the Hacienda properties. Since I was able to find award seats to PVR, I ended up picking the St. Regis.
It looks very interesting. I think it might be a good fit. I'm not familiar with the Hacienda properties. Did you research them?
Old Mar 29, 2012, 6:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PhillyPhlyer40

What about the Equinox in VT? Has mountains, remoteness, and is beautiful. June will be perfect in VT!
I wouldn't mind getting away from the heat. Thanks for the suggestions.
Old Mar 29, 2012, 10:21 pm

Programs: Marriott LTT, Hilton Dia, Hyatt Expl, Avis Pres, Hertz Pres, National EE, AA Gold, UA Silver
It looks very interesting. I think it might be a good fit. I'm not familiar with the Hacienda properties. Did you research them?
I did. They each have their own unique charm, but I was leaning towards Hacienda Uayamon.

PhillyPhlyer40 brings up a very good point about the heat. (If you can tolerate heat, then you can find some stellar deals at Arizona resorts that time of year.) I like the VT idea. You can learn some falconry while you are there.

FWIW, the Equinox has a master thread here, and the Hacienda (the entire group of properties) master thread is here.
Old Mar 29, 2012, 10:27 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum
I recommend the Thailand properties that everybody raves about here. look around on the forum for others
Old Mar 30, 2012, 9:12 am

Programs: AA EXP and CK, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Starwood Plat, Amex Plat, etc
The St. Regis Bahina Beach in PR is amazing. Great service, great food, great staff, just great.
Old Mar 30, 2012, 10:28 am

Programs: Bonvoy Amb LTT, HHonors Diamond, AA ExPlat, United Silver
I'm exploring options for a June anniversary getaway for my husband and I. We're traveling from New Orleans and are looking for relaxing and "away from it all". I would love a bungalow or some sort of private feeling room. We don't want lots of activities or socializing just beautiful scenery and a relaxed, refreshing escape. We might also pamper ourselves with some spa time. The trip will be for 4-5 nights so I don't want to spend a lot of time traveling. I'm thinking in the US or Mexico or possibly somewhere in the Caribbean that is easy to get to. I'm open to beach, mountains and just about anything in between.

I can splurge a bit and also have about 150,000 SPG points so I might do some combination of points and $.

Any suggestions or reviews of SPG options will be greatly appreciated.
Canyon Suites at the Phoenician is absolutely fabulous. Unbelievable service. Smallish property with additional amenities of the Phoenician a 2 minute walk away. Beautiful large cactus garden. Coffee and biscotti delivered daily to your door. Free wine tasting with snacks in the lobby daily. Outstanding spa and even when full, you feel like you are alone. Beautiful pool at the foot of Camelback Mtn. Great atmosphere and dining of Scottsdale.
Old Mar 30, 2012, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Originally Posted by PhillyPhlyer40

Very good points. It will indeed be very hot in Mexico in June, though being at the beach with a nice pool could ameliorate this.

The haciendas indeed sound wonderful, but none are beachfront so the heat would be even more of a factor. And you have to drive or put more effort into getting to them than to many other properties. For future reference, though:

http://www.thehaciendas.com/thehacie...haciendas.html
Old Mar 30, 2012, 12:52 pm

For our tenth anniversary we went to the Hacienda Puerta Campeche
and Hacienda Santa Rosa and they were both amazing properties. It was warm but both place have great pools with lots of shade. Campeche is in a cool old small city, where you can walk to different eating places and markets, while Santa Rosa is off on it's own in the Jungle and is very relaxing. While you are at dinner at Santa Rosa they fill the private tub in back of your "unit" (ours was half of an old machine shed about 15 by 40 with 15 foot cellings) - If you are looking for something unique I would highly recommend the Haciendas.
Old Mar 30, 2012, 4:03 pm

Programs: SPG Platnium, SWA A+, CP
Punta Mita, W Vicques, St. Regis Hi

In the last year, I have been to the St. Regis, Punta Mita, W Vicques and St. Regis HI.

I loved Punta Mita. Golf, Spa, Tennis. Its is a total get away and turn off the phone atmosphere. Great service. Beach is not so great. Recommend the car service from the airport. Worth every bit of the money.

I then went to W Vicques. Very nice resort, pain in the butt to get around the island via taxi. No complaints. Fly to San Juan and then Cape Air into the airport. Lovely.

St. Regis HI. Not so great. It was consistantly inconsistant in all of its services. Food sometimes was right...most of the time not. View was very nice. Not much in the way of amenties. Rent a car.

Enjoy. I am looking at the Cottages at Key West and the Phoenician in Arizona for my next get away.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.