Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

(No Longer Marriott) Tremont Chicago Hotel at Magnificent Mile, Chicago, IL

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

(No Longer Marriott) Tremont Chicago Hotel at Magnificent Mile, Chicago, IL

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2017, 6:11 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by lingua101
I am considering to stay here or the robby. Any comment?
What exactly do you wish to know? You mean the Robey Hotel?

One is a dated downtown hotel and the other a neighborhood reclaimed industrial chic property.
Old Apr 4, 2017, 7:32 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Qatar Airways, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, IHG
I'm sure this hotel is on Marriott's for-sale block as they dispose of Starwood's owned assets in favor of the former's asset light strategy, but are there any plans to fold this hotel into one of the brands? It has the bones to become a perfect Le Méridien or Tribute Portfolio with a little bit of renovating and touching up.

khabah
Old Apr 4, 2017, 8:08 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by khabah
I'm sure this hotel is on Marriott's for-sale block as they dispose of Starwood's owned assets in favor of the former's asset light strategy, but are there any plans to fold this hotel into one of the brands? It has the bones to become a perfect Le Méridien or Tribute Portfolio with a little bit of renovating and touching up.

khabah

This made me chuckle! This place needs a complete overhaul. Not just paint and soft goods.
Old Apr 4, 2017, 8:11 am

Originally Posted by KENNECTED
This made me chuckle! This place needs a complete overhaul. Not just paint and soft goods.
Nothing like a little Internet-masked cheekiness and cynicism to get others to chuckle.

khabah
Old Apr 4, 2017, 8:12 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by khabah
Nothing like a little Internet-masked cheekiness and cynicism to get others to chuckle.

khabah
Job well done!
Old Apr 4, 2017, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
I am considering to stay here or the robby. Any comment?
Unless you want the prime Michigan Ave location, go Robey
Old Apr 4, 2017, 9:08 pm

Programs: TK-G | Accor P | SQ-G | Marriott T
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Unless you want the prime Michigan Ave location, go Robey
ok. I will be staying 3 nights at Sofitel. So I guess Robey will be better as it seems closer to airport also. So it will be easier for me to catch my 11am flight the next day. thanks.
Old Apr 4, 2017, 9:11 pm

Programs: TK-G | Accor P | SQ-G | Marriott T
Originally Posted by KENNECTED
What exactly do you wish to know? You mean the Robey Hotel?

One is a dated downtown hotel and the other a neighborhood reclaimed industrial chic property.
any recommendation not to expensive hotel. i can get these 2 hotel for 10,000 or 12,000 points. I have a flight next day at 11am (domestic)
Old Apr 5, 2017, 6:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
ok. I will be staying 3 nights at Sofitel. So I guess Robey will be better as it seems closer to airport also. So it will be easier for me to catch my 11am flight the next day. thanks.
Right by the Blue line, can't get any easier & cheaper to get to ORD!

Make sure to go check out the Violet Hour a block away...mind blowing
Old May 26, 2017, 7:09 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Just completed a 4 night stay at the Tremont and wanted to just add my overall thoughts.

I picked the hotel because I needed some Starwood nights and also needed to be close to a business associate staying at the Sofitel. The location is great and probably the best/only reason to stay here. Staff is very friendly and really the bright spot other than the location. Rooms were ok and recently remodeled and I felt that the housekeeping actually did a very good job.

The condition of the bathrooms however is unacceptable! I haven't seen a bathroom in such dire need of renovation in a long time. The vanity cabinet had so many screws in it that it was probably being held together just by the screws. Toilet and all fixtures were ancient and you could see the painted over pealing paint on the ceiling in numerous areas. Honestly I am surprised Starwood (or now Marriott) has let them get away with not remodeling those bathrooms to avoid a deflagging!!

Others have commented about the elevator situation but I didn't ever have to wait too long.

Bellman wasn't big on working as I walked out one morning and he made no attempt to get me a cab and watched as I tried to wave one down. After being unsuccessful, I walked down to the Sofitel which has a cab line on the side of the hotel where they line up.

Would I stay again? Yes, if I needed to be in the area and if the price was right. The bathroom is unacceptable but you don't sleep in there and the room was ok and clean.
Old May 26, 2017, 7:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The good news is, once the merger is truly complete and we can earn nights jointly between the two programs, there are a host of more budget-focused Marriott properties when the Westin/W rates are through the roof (like they often are in the summer).

I stayed at the AC Hotel last year...night and day after the refurb post-Four Points. Actually a pretty cool hotel now for the price, like a more adult, Euro Aloft. And of course there are CYs and RIs and stuff like that.
Old May 26, 2017, 6:17 pm

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
Originally Posted by christianj
Just completed a 4 night stay at the Tremont and wanted to just add my overall thoughts.

I picked the hotel because I needed some Starwood nights and also needed to be close to a business associate staying at the Sofitel. The location is great and probably the best/only reason to stay here.
What? What about Ditka's, it's right there still, isn't it?

Actually only stayed there once and it was fine, especially for $90 a nt. You get what you pay for usually. I like that neighborhood. I had a car service pick me up in front for the ride to the airport as it's always tough getting a cab (plus too expensive to ORD) on these side streets, and I didn't see a doorman.

And, it's right there with Ditka's! Come on man!
Old May 31, 2017, 6:48 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Originally Posted by rbAA
What? What about Ditka's, it's right there still, isn't it?

And, it's right there with Ditka's! Come on man!
I guess you REALLY like Ditka's! I ate at the bar the first night because I arrived on a late flight and my coworkers had already had dinner. Food was actually pretty good but I wouldn't pick the hotel based on the fact that Ditka's is connected to it.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 7:02 am

Looks like any potential plans to do anything with this place might end with a wrecking ball: https://www.chicagobusiness.com/real...el-up-for-sale

khabah
Old Feb 14, 2018, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
The Tremont is still there, and still showing signs of wear. It does have its charms: my room had what seemed to be 11' ceilings with a full long wall of seven foot windows. The marble with contrasting in-lay in the bathroom, and marble vanity with dual sinks, make many a new build at this price point look depressingly cheap.

The Plat breakfast in Ditka's is a generous interpretation of continental to American standards, with eggs and hash browns plus the expected breads/bagels/Danish, whole fruit, cereals, coffee and juices.

I saw, on the web site but not the app, that I had been pre-assigned an upgraded room. At check-in I asked if Premier Corner rooms were part of the Plat upgrade inventory. I was told they were sold out in that category. Oddly, ten minutes later the app showed that room type available for booking...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.