Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Received Platinum re-qualification gift (Sep 2017)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2017, 9:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Titanium & LTP, NEXUS

Similar to this thread about receiving chocolates, I received a delivery yesterday from SPG for re-qualifying for Platinum in early August. It was a box from Navarino Icons - olive oil, honey & fig marmalade.

Anyone else receive one? Was not expecting this at all. Thanks SPG!
Old Sep 15, 2017, 12:51 pm

Programs: UA Gold,Delta Gold Bonvoy Titanium Elite, HH Diamond , AA Platinum, EENational, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by JordanYVR
Similar to this thread about receiving chocolates, I received a delivery yesterday from SPG for re-qualifying for Platinum in early August. It was a box from Navarino Icons - olive oil, honey & fig marmalade.

Anyone else receive one? Was not expecting this at all. Thanks SPG!
Now I can't wait to check the mail when I get back home 🤠
Old Sep 15, 2017, 11:09 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott - Platinum/LTG | KF *G QPPS (working on TPPS) | OZ - Diamond Plus
This is incredible! I'm not expecting anything for requalifying recently.... but it would be nice
Old Sep 16, 2017, 12:24 pm

Programs: SPG lifetime Platinum, Air Canada Super Elite, Priority Club Platinum Elite,
Wow!

I am a lifetime platinum with 13 years (soon 14 years) of platinum and have NEVER received anything. Not a single thing - not a box of chocolates, not a bathrobe, not a luggage tag, NADA. A few times at certain hotels I would find a piece of cake or a glass of wine in my room thanking me for my business - but have never received anything from SPG. Even getting my SPG lifetime card was a pain in the a** that required me to make 3-4 phone calls.

This kind of thing actually bums me out, especially when I do the math on how much money I've spent on SPG properties throughout the years. Zero recognition.
Old Sep 16, 2017, 12:28 pm

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
Originally Posted by Dubosc
Wow!

I am a lifetime platinum with 13 years (soon 14 years) of platinum and have NEVER received anything. Not a single thing - not a box of chocolates, not a bathrobe, not a luggage tag, NADA. A few times at certain hotels I would find a piece of cake or a glass of wine in my room thanking me for my business - but have never received anything from SPG. Even getting my SPG lifetime card was a pain in the a** that required me to make 3-4 phone calls.

This kind of thing actually bums me out, especially when I do the math on how much money I've spent on SPG properties throughout the years. Zero recognition.
SPG seems to pick favorites at random. Reading about stories from here makes me feel just as you with the associated blood pressure spike.
Old Sep 16, 2017, 12:52 pm

Location: 42.1% in PDX , 49.9% in PVG & 8% in the air somewhere
Programs: Marriott Ambassador Elite, UA 1K, AS MVP GLD 75K, DL Pt
Lucky, 185 nights and didn't get nothing special. Though my ambassador is great and always get a suite upgrade.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Sep 16, 2017, 3:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
There was a time when all Plats got a requalification gift. It's been a few years now (3-4?) since we've received anything. It was a very nice touch that made me feel appreciated.

If someone is so inclined, they can dig up the thread.
Old Sep 16, 2017, 4:53 pm

Programs: SPG lifetime Platinum, Air Canada Super Elite, Priority Club Platinum Elite,
Chipmaster,

I've had 3 or 4 years where I was at +240 nights a year - that's literally 5 night a week/every week except Christmas. Never received a thing. Don't hold your breath. When you think that that's over $50,000 (not even including the extras like parking and room service) it's pretty sad that they send or offer nothing. Even my credit card gives me 2% cash back - that's $1000!

IHG (Crowne Plaza) would give me bottles of wine for much lower spends.

It's not that I EXPECT anything it's just a bummer when you see that the treatment of plats isn't uniform Also, in many years, I find it hard to believe that a lot of people who did receive things spent more/were more brand loyal than me. I think this is a MAJOR ball drop for them - it's these little things that make all the difference.

Last edited by Dubosc; Sep 16, 2017 at 4:58 pm
Old Sep 16, 2017, 5:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
OK, did a bit of searching. Here are some of the prior gifts.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...rtificate.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...scription.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...ft-2011-a.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...ft-2010-a.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...-id-ygfwn.html

Would be nice if SPG brought these back.
Old Sep 16, 2017, 6:56 pm

Years ago I remember getting free Tumi stuff...I got two wallets and quite a nice bag. Pretty impressive.
Old Sep 17, 2017, 10:20 am

Programs: Delta Diamond, WOH Globalist, Marriott LT Titanium, MSC Dia, Nespresso Club, ZTL Queen in Italy
Originally Posted by MaxFlying
Years ago I remember getting free Tumi stuff...I got two wallets and quite a nice bag. Pretty impressive.
Free Tumi stuff?? I've been missing out... I've heard about cool SPG Mophie chargers. Would love one of those!

Lifetime Platinum here and the only things I remember receiving (as far as being mailed to my home) are:
  • Box of Vosgues chocolates - (just randomly arrived, no reason specified)
  • Kate Spade tote (I think sent from my Ambassador a couple yrs ago due to a promo)
  • Sheraton bathrobe w my first name embroidered (Not my favorite brand, but I do a lot of stays there)
  • Coffee table book w photos of various SPG properties (few yrs ago)
  • Well-worn plastic luggage tag
Old Sep 17, 2017, 4:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Titanium & LTP, NEXUS
Didn't mean to bum anyone out. Just wanted to say thanks for a nice surprise. It's a small touch but makes me want to remain loyal to SPG.

It also came on a day when I ran out of olive oil, so timing was great
Old Sep 18, 2017, 8:39 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Bonvoy LTE
I've received an SPG picture book once a few years back.

Curious - those who are receiving these gifts from SPG - is your home mailing address in the US? Do other members around the world receive gifts as well?
Old Sep 18, 2017, 4:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
USA address: I got the tote bag (although IIRC with different timing), the book, and the chocolate candy. I have the luggage tags, but I think I got them at a FT DO. No bathrobe for me, but I've never had an Amb, although I've always suspected that I was part of the control group at the beginning as I had a year with about 85 nights in StR and LC around then.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 7:59 pm

Ten years as a platinum and never received any mailed or courriered gift....now of course I live in Canada.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.