Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Best rate guarantee (BRG) - success, failure & discussion 2012-on [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2014, 4:05 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Starwood Lurker
BRG Wiki on Flyertalk

• You cannot BRG against a rate on a Starwood Website/App (hot escapes, promos, Gov. Rate etc.). It has to be a 3rd party website/App.
• Cancellation policy has no bearing on a BRG claim
• There's no need to reserve with SPG first.
• If you find a rate lower than the advertised SPG.com rate, then submit a BRG claim form. If it is approved, you will then have 24 hours to book on a Starwood Branded Website (SPG.com, Westin.com etc.) and reply to your pending approval email from BRG with the confirmation number.
• Make sure to book a flexible rate on SPG.com. This will allow you to then cancel this booking if you find a lower Starwood rate later (like the hot escapes etc.) or if your travel plans change.
• To save time, you can also book a flexible rate first on SPG.com, and then submit your BRG claim. This saves effort when filling in the BRG form, as well as the need to book within 24 hours of receiving the email from SPG. If your claim is not approved, simply cancel the flexible reservation.
• If your comparable rate includes extras like breakfast or parking, make sure there is a room available on spg.com that includes the exact amenities. If there is the same room type with the same amenities on SPG.com, they will compare and if lower on third party, the claim may be approved for the room type and with the amenities. If there is the same room type available but no/different amenities offered, the claim may still be approved, but the rate will be room only.
• Room types must be the same for a BRG. If you are trying to submit a BRG against an existing reservation, you will need to select “I have a Starwood reservation” on the first page and then select “My BRG claim is against the rate on this reservation” on the second page of the claim form. If you are looking at a different room type and rate than what you have booked on the Starwood site, you will still select “I have a Starwood reservation” on the first page and then enter the room type and rate you are seeing on the Starwood Website/App in the fields provided on the claim form. If you do not have an existing reservation booked with Starwood, you will fill out the claim form by selecting “I do not have a Starwood reservation” and proceed as normal.
• If you have an approved and finalized claim and you find an even cheaper rate later, then you may submit a new BRG claim that is not connected to any existing reservation. If this BRG claim is approved, you will need to make a new flexible reservation on SPG.com. Once the process is completed, you will then email the BRG desk to cancel your first reservation (which is flexible, although you can't cancel online).
• If you find availability for the room type you want on a third party website/app but there is no availability for that room type or no availability for any room type on the Starwood Website, then this may be an approved claim if it meets all other terms and conditions. You will need to make sure that you specify the room type you actually want on the Starwood Website section and enter 0 in the rate and currency. This will ensure that the processing associates know that the room type you want is not available on the Starwood Website. You may also add additional comments near the end of the claim form indicating that there is no availability on the Starwood Website to help clarify.

Differing currencies

• "The Best Rate Guarantee department will approve a claim if there is a difference of 2.5% or greater where the currencies are different or a difference of 1% or greater if the currencies are the same."

Link to T&C
https://www.starwoodhotels.com/bestrate/terms.html

Should you take points or the discounted rate?
2,000 Starpoints is worth approximately $40-50. So take points unless the 10% discount is more than $40-$50.

Generally, for 1 or 2 night stays you'll take points, and for longer stays you'll want the discount.

How to add a SNA to a BRG reservation
• Click on your stays to view our your current reservation
• Look for your BRG reservation and click on "send confirmation" link for the BRG reservation
• reload the page and you should be able to now select "apply SNA to this stay" link
Print Wikipost

Best rate guarantee (BRG) - success, failure & discussion 2012-on [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2012, 5:20 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, SPG Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Fairmont Premier, DL, CO
Originally Posted by nickp7286
Has anyone ever had BRG declined because the competing rate is only available for purchase by residents of Canada, Puerto Rico, and the US Virgin Islands? I just had the following BRG declined for that reason?

Hotel Name: The Westin Casuarina Resort & Spa, Grand Cayman
Arrival Date : 06-30-2012
Departure Date : 07-07-2012
Number of Adults :2
Number of Children : 0
Number of Rooms : 1
Room Type : Island View
Starwood Brand Web Site Room Rate : 299.00
Company room provider : Other
Other Company room provider :AAvacations.com
Competing rate : 159.93
Are the currencies of the Starwood brand Web site and the competing rate the same? : Yes
Comments : AAvacations.com has an island view king bed non-smoking room available for $186.58 per night with one night free. With the one night free the rate averages $159.93 a night. This rate is refundable up until 1 day prior to check-in (the SPG.com rate provided is the best available rate). I can provide screenshots of the aavacations.com rate upon request. Thanks!
BRG Reward : tenPercent

This seems exteremly unreasonable to me. I intend to respond back, but any suggestions/advice would be helpful. Thanks!
UPDATE: SPG really came through! I received a call today from a manager in the BRG department. She politely explained this was a hole in the current T&C and that she was working with SPG legal to update the T&C for such instances. She also understood my point of view and honored the BRG claim! I was thoroughly impressed by her understanding, and not only the fact that she honored the rate, but that she spent time on the phone explaining how the current T&C. Thanks again SPG for exceeding my expectations!
Old Mar 22, 2012, 9:26 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LTG, IHG Platinum
Just a quick question;

I am about to book a three night stay at a certain property, probably using the Z3H code.

Now, my girlfriend and her friend wants to visit me but for only one night and they need a another room (for the friend of course). Can I book that one night in my name, under a BRG claim, and get the 2,000 points to credited to me? I am not expecting any benefits to extend to the 2nd room (and one night).
Old Mar 25, 2012, 5:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
BRG success in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Hotel Name: Westin Kuala Lumpur
Arrival Date: Sept 22, 2012
Departure Date: Sept 23, 2012
Number of Adults : 2
Room Type: Deluxe
Starwood Brand Web Site Room Rate : 500 MYR
Company room provider : Other Web Site
Other Company room provider :www.travelocity.com
Competing rate : US$124
Actual confirmed rate: 382.72 MYR plus service charges ($124)

I chose 2000 bonus pts.
Old Mar 25, 2012, 2:28 pm
cln

Programs: TK E+, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Dusit Gold
Originally Posted by alanslegal
Just a quick question;

I am about to book a three night stay at a certain property, probably using the Z3H code.

Now, my girlfriend and her friend wants to visit me but for only one night and they need a another room (for the friend of course). Can I book that one night in my name, under a BRG claim, and get the 2,000 points to credited to me? I am not expecting any benefits to extend to the 2nd room (and one night).
if you find out the answer please share.. i was thinking of booking a brg stay for my fiancee but i wont stay with here.. Will i be able to collect the points ?
Old Mar 25, 2012, 10:36 pm

Originally Posted by cln
if you find out the answer please share.. i was thinking of booking a brg stay for my fiancee but i wont stay with here.. Will i be able to collect the points ?
I think in your situation you won't be able to get the points in your account, as you will not be present.

I would assume in my case, that given I am already at the property, and that I am able to book up to three rooms in my name, therefore I should be able to earn points on up to three rooms.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 1:20 am

Programs: SPG Platinum
BRG just a joke?

Being a SPG member since 2000 with more than 350 nights, I never made a BRG claim before. I always knew that there was this kind of guarantee, but I always thought: well, it just means that the prices on their website really are the cheapest available. Stupid me, I know.

It's just a few days ago that I noticed there are really websites with rates lower than SPG, which should allow for a BRG claim. But, as I always am a sceptic, I thought: well, they will definitely find a way to deny my claim.

And: sure they did. They just said that the third party website does not list a price for my chosen room type, which was an Executive room. However, the third party website *does* *of course* list a price for an Executive room - you just have to click a link saying "... more room types available". They obviously never did that.

Well, I expected to be denied for some reason. I just did not expect to be denied for such a flimsy excuse. Is this really what is to be expected from SPG BRG?

Breston
Old Mar 28, 2012, 1:57 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Breston
Being a SPG member since 2000 with more than 350 nights, I never made a BRG claim before. I always knew that there was this kind of guarantee, but I always thought: well, it just means that the prices on their website really are the cheapest available. Stupid me, I know.

It's just a few days ago that I noticed there are really websites with rates lower than SPG, which should allow for a BRG claim. But, as I always am a sceptic, I thought: well, they will definitely find a way to deny my claim.

And: sure they did. They just said that the third party website does not list a price for my chosen room type, which was an Executive room. However, the third party website *does* *of course* list a price for an Executive room - you just have to click a link saying "... more room types available". They obviously never did that.

Well, I expected to be denied for some reason. I just did not expect to be denied for such a flimsy excuse. Is this really what is to be expected from SPG BRG?

Breston
I used to share your mindset, until I saved nearly $80 on a booking through the BRG.

I've found that SPG certainly makes things difficult (my first claim was similarly denied). But I submitted another claim and added notes in the "comments" section on how to search and find the exact room/rate I was quoting. That worked, and I've had two successful claims to date.

So unless you've given up completely, I would send another request until someone approves it. Good luck saving (and earning 2000 starpoints as the case may be)!
Old Mar 28, 2012, 5:03 am

Originally Posted by flyingeph12
But I submitted another claim and added notes in the "comments" section on how to search and find the exact room/rate I was quoting. That worked, and I've had two successful claims to date.

So unless you've given up completely, I would send another request until someone approves it.
That's what I will try to do. Unfortunately, as it takes so long to get an answer (the first one took about 20 hours), time might run out before I get through.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 10:57 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Breston:18287864
That's what I will try to do. Unfortunately, as it takes so long to get an answer (the first one took about 20 hours), time might run out before I get through.

It does seem to take them a substantial amount of time to process these claims. Two of my three claims took over 24 hours. Plus submission must be at least 24 hours before check in. Just another area where Hyatt customer service beats SPG's. With Hyatt you can get instant verification over the phone.

If it is really worth it, I've never tried this, but it wouldn't hurt to give customer service or the hotel itself a call. Idk, but since you seem to be a very loyal member, they might be able to do something.

Anyways best of luck.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 12:02 pm
uxb

Programs: AC, AS, BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (PLT/1,87MM), WN
Originally Posted by flyingeph12
It does seem to take them a substantial amount of time to process these claims. Two of my three claims took over 24 hours. Plus submission must be at least 24 hours before check in. Just another area where Hyatt customer service beats SPG's. With Hyatt you can get instant verification over the phone.

If it is really worth it, I've never tried this, but it wouldn't hurt to give customer service or the hotel itself a call. Idk, but since you seem to be a very loyal member, they might be able to do something.

Anyways best of luck.
I wish SPG did this sort of thing over the phone. BRG has a number to call in with queries, but you will be directed to fill out the form at the site. For now, I advise that people always check the sites listed in the posts above for deals because they do exist.
Old Mar 29, 2012, 4:25 am

Unfortunately, as it takes so long to get an answer (the first one took about 20 hours), time might run out before I get through.
Well - time did not run out. Received an email that my claim has been approved. They even apologized that they had at first denied it because of an error they had made.

In addition to that, I got a second claim approved, same city, same dates, but at another hotel, as I feared the first one would not go through. I will not use this one though.

Still can't believe it. Got a much lower rate, will get all the Plat benefits, and 2k points on top. Sounds quite good to me. Won't think about how often in the past I could have done this.
Old Mar 29, 2012, 1:14 pm
Suspended

Well - time did not run out. Received an email that my claim has been approved. They even apologized that they had at first denied it because of an error they had made.

In addition to that, I got a second claim approved, same city, same dates, but at another hotel, as I feared the first one would not go through. I will not use this one though.

Still can't believe it. Got a much lower rate, will get all the Plat benefits, and 2k points on top. Sounds quite good to me. Won't think about how often in the past I could have done this.
Did you post the names of the properties and rates, etc. for both claims? I didn't see anything...maybe I missed it. Thanks.
Old Mar 29, 2012, 4:46 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, CC Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold, DL PM
Hotel Name: Sheraton Lake Buena Vista Resort
Arrival Date : 04-21-12
Departure Date : 04-22-12
Number of Adults :2
Room Type : 2 Queen Beds
Starwood Brand Web Site Room Rate : 119
Company room provider : Other
Other Company room provider :www.olotels.com
Actual Confirmed Rate: 88
BRG Reward : points

Since both my Mother and I will be staying, we both put in claims for our rooms. Both of our claims were approved. This is also a resort that qualifies for the 1,000 Renovations Worth Celebrating Promotion. My Mother was also targeted for the SPG Bonus Beginnings, so she will earn another 4,000 points for her stay.

This was our first claim and we are thrilled that it worked out. Thank you to Margarita girl for answering my question!
Old Mar 31, 2012, 12:03 am

Received a BRG rejection even though the rate is lower

Usually I am more than satisfied with BRG claims and have had a good run, but this one takes the cake

PS. I opted for the 2,000 points !

Originally Posted by BRG Team
I have reviewed the rates for X hotel for the dates of your claim on our website and found a rate of 2,600 THB plus taxes and the rate of 2,576.42 THB plus taxes on Ratestogo.com. Since the default currency of the competing website is not the same as the currency used at this hotel, I used XE.com to convert the rate I found. Due to the minimal difference in these rates I am not able to approve your claim.
Old Mar 31, 2012, 10:04 am

Hotel Name: Four Points by Sheraton Chicago O'Hare Airport
Arrival Date : 03-31-2012
Departure Date : 04-01-2012
Number of Adults :1
Room Type : Standard
Starwood Brand Web Site Room Rate : 99
Company room provider : Hotels.com
Competing rate : 69

I took the points.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.