Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Best rate guarantee (BRG) - success, failure & discussion 2012-on [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2014, 4:05 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Starwood Lurker
BRG Wiki on Flyertalk

• You cannot BRG against a rate on a Starwood Website/App (hot escapes, promos, Gov. Rate etc.). It has to be a 3rd party website/App.
• Cancellation policy has no bearing on a BRG claim
• There's no need to reserve with SPG first.
• If you find a rate lower than the advertised SPG.com rate, then submit a BRG claim form. If it is approved, you will then have 24 hours to book on a Starwood Branded Website (SPG.com, Westin.com etc.) and reply to your pending approval email from BRG with the confirmation number.
• Make sure to book a flexible rate on SPG.com. This will allow you to then cancel this booking if you find a lower Starwood rate later (like the hot escapes etc.) or if your travel plans change.
• To save time, you can also book a flexible rate first on SPG.com, and then submit your BRG claim. This saves effort when filling in the BRG form, as well as the need to book within 24 hours of receiving the email from SPG. If your claim is not approved, simply cancel the flexible reservation.
• If your comparable rate includes extras like breakfast or parking, make sure there is a room available on spg.com that includes the exact amenities. If there is the same room type with the same amenities on SPG.com, they will compare and if lower on third party, the claim may be approved for the room type and with the amenities. If there is the same room type available but no/different amenities offered, the claim may still be approved, but the rate will be room only.
• Room types must be the same for a BRG. If you are trying to submit a BRG against an existing reservation, you will need to select “I have a Starwood reservation” on the first page and then select “My BRG claim is against the rate on this reservation” on the second page of the claim form. If you are looking at a different room type and rate than what you have booked on the Starwood site, you will still select “I have a Starwood reservation” on the first page and then enter the room type and rate you are seeing on the Starwood Website/App in the fields provided on the claim form. If you do not have an existing reservation booked with Starwood, you will fill out the claim form by selecting “I do not have a Starwood reservation” and proceed as normal.
• If you have an approved and finalized claim and you find an even cheaper rate later, then you may submit a new BRG claim that is not connected to any existing reservation. If this BRG claim is approved, you will need to make a new flexible reservation on SPG.com. Once the process is completed, you will then email the BRG desk to cancel your first reservation (which is flexible, although you can't cancel online).
• If you find availability for the room type you want on a third party website/app but there is no availability for that room type or no availability for any room type on the Starwood Website, then this may be an approved claim if it meets all other terms and conditions. You will need to make sure that you specify the room type you actually want on the Starwood Website section and enter 0 in the rate and currency. This will ensure that the processing associates know that the room type you want is not available on the Starwood Website. You may also add additional comments near the end of the claim form indicating that there is no availability on the Starwood Website to help clarify.

Differing currencies

• "The Best Rate Guarantee department will approve a claim if there is a difference of 2.5% or greater where the currencies are different or a difference of 1% or greater if the currencies are the same."

Link to T&C
https://www.starwoodhotels.com/bestrate/terms.html

Should you take points or the discounted rate?
2,000 Starpoints is worth approximately $40-50. So take points unless the 10% discount is more than $40-$50.

Generally, for 1 or 2 night stays you'll take points, and for longer stays you'll want the discount.

How to add a SNA to a BRG reservation
• Click on your stays to view our your current reservation
• Look for your BRG reservation and click on "send confirmation" link for the BRG reservation
• reload the page and you should be able to now select "apply SNA to this stay" link
Print Wikipost

Best rate guarantee (BRG) - success, failure & discussion 2012-on [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2014, 1:04 pm

Programs: SPG,HH,IHG
Question

Originally Posted by george_p12
Here is different experience.

Hotel Name: W Sentosa Cove
Competing Website: galahotels.com
Competing Room Type: Wonderful with breakfast

Reply received from BRG team:

“I have reviewed your claim and I am happy to inform you that your claim is approved, pending further response.

The rate offered on the competing website includes breakfast and there is not an identical room type with this amenity on the Starwood website. In order to finalize your claim at the approved Room Only rate, please do the following within 24 hours:

1. Please make your reservation online via a Starwood website for the dates submitted in your claim.
2. Return this email with your online confirmation number.

Guest Name: XXX
Arrival Date: January XX, 2014
Departure Date: January XX, 2014
Room Type: Wonderful
Actual confirmed rate: $340.11 SGD plus taxes and service charge, per night
Pending claim file number: XXXXXXXXXX

When your confirmation number is received, your reservation will be modified to reflect the new, lower rate and the same room type offered by the competing provider.”
In This situation at SPG site didn't have any rate that include BF ?
Sometime i check all rate that show it not include BF at any rate

Another question is
If i have successful BRG on Hotel A with 130 USD with BF for previous 2 month but today i check price again and now it drop to 100 USD with BF with OTA and price on SPG site are more than OTA
My question is Can i BRG it again ?
Old Apr 22, 2014, 1:14 pm

Programs: World of Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy LTP; IHG Plat
Originally Posted by nongsom
Another question is
If i have successful BRG on Hotel A with 130 USD with BF for previous 2 month but today i check price again and now it drop to 100 USD with BF with OTA and price on SPG site are more than OTA
My question is Can i BRG it again ?
Yes, of course.

If you can find a new lower competing rate, you can cancel the old BRG claim and submit a new one.

I suggest you keep the old BRG claim booking until they approved the new one.

Hope this help.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 12:04 pm

Programs: marriott platinum, intercontinental diamond
Hotel name: Sheraton Chengdu Lido Hotel
Arrival Date: 05-xx-2014
Departure Date: 05-xx-2014
Number of Adults: 2
Number of Children: 0
Number of Rooms: 1
Starwood Room Type: King Deluxe (advance purchase)
Starwood Rate: 946 CNY per night
Competing Website: Expedia
Competing Room Type: Same
Competing Site Language: English
Competing Room Rate: $122 per night
BRG Reward: 2000 pts
Actual Confirmed Rate: 762.51 CNY per night
Response Time: a few hours

Last edited by avja; Apr 23, 2014 at 12:10 pm Reason: Incomplete message
Old Apr 23, 2014, 6:55 pm

I have had a few BRG claims approved in the past month and one today. I just have to say that I personally have noticed a significant increase in timely responses...........which of course is fantastic! They sure seem to be on the ball this past month and I'm not sure if it is me but their communication seems to be friendlier or something? I have had a few challenges over the last couple of years with the odd one (more so being lied to etc., and just not very friendly ) but there sure seems to be an improvement on that end. Keep up the great work BRG team!!
Old Apr 23, 2014, 10:48 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Asiana Club Dmnd (*G), AA plat, Alitalia FA, SPG Plat, Accor Plat, HGP Dmnd, HH Dmnd
It's interesting - I've never once found the BRG team to be unfriendly. I guess part of the reasons is that 90% of what they write is from a standard text which contains extensive greetings and sign-offs - for successful and unsuccessful claims.

I tend not to argue the point with the BRG team if they do not approve - maybe this is where others have felt they're not friendly. I have found that if they don't approve, yet the lower rate is still clearly visible, it's better just to claim again.
Old Apr 25, 2014, 9:33 pm

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
Post The Westin Xiamen

Hotel Name: The Westin Xiamen
Arrival Date: 04-30-2014
Departure Date: 05-01-2014 (1 night)
Number of Adults: 1
Room Type: Deluxe room
Starwood Brand Web Site Room Rate: CNY 1000
Company room provider: Agoda.com.sg
Competing rate: SGD 195.43
BRG Reward: points

Actual confirmed rate: CNY 972.60 plus taxes
Old Apr 27, 2014, 8:18 am

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
Hotel Name: Le Meridien Khao Lak Beach & Spa Resort
Arrival Date: 05-xx-2014 (two nights)
Departure Date: 05-xx-2014
Number of Adults: 1
Room Type: Pool Villa w/ breakfast
Starwood Brand Web Site Room Rate: 10053.89 THB per night
Company room provider: opodo.de
Competing rate: 6608.95 THB per night
BRG Reward: 10% discount

Actual confirmed rate: 5948.07 THB per night
Old May 1, 2014, 11:38 am

Programs: World of Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy LTP; IHG Plat
I cant file any BRG claim.

Seems like a problem with the web page. the drop down menu not worked properly.

does anyone experience this?
Old May 1, 2014, 11:39 am

Programs: AS MVP/AC75K/AM Gold/UA*S/SPG-Marriott Lifetime Titanium/Accor-FPC Gold/HHDiamond/Hyatt Exp
Originally Posted by 3rdworldresident
I cant file any BRG claim.

Seems like a problem with the web page. the drop down menu not worked properly.

does anyone experience this?
I am using Google Chrome and over the past 24 hours have submitted 3 claims successfully and already received 2 approvals. ^
Old May 1, 2014, 7:09 pm

Programs: SPG,HH,IHG
็How long BRG Point post after check-out ?
Old May 2, 2014, 2:02 am

Programs: AC*Super Elite (100K) / PR*Elite / AY*Platinum (OWE) / SPG*Bonvoy Titanium (LTT)
ok, i have been noticing that this particular property that i have several successful brg claims with uses "virgin australia 2000 (lva) to award my 2000 brg pts, instead of the standard description of "best rate guarantee".

Should i report this? And what is virgin australia 2000? A promo? Something i have to be a member of? If so, did the property sign me up without my knowledge to bypass the best rate guarantee penalty?

Last edited by supatight80; May 2, 2014 at 3:10 am
Old May 2, 2014, 4:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by nongsom
็How long BRG Point post after check-out ?
If done properly, it should post at the same time as your regular points.
Old May 2, 2014, 4:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by supatight80
ok, i have been noticing that this particular property that i have several successful brg claims with uses "virgin australia 2000 (lva) to award my 2000 brg pts, instead of the standard description of "best rate guarantee".

Should i report this? And what is virgin australia 2000? A promo? Something i have to be a member of? If so, did the property sign me up without my knowledge to bypass the best rate guarantee penalty?
It's this promo. Are your stays for 2 consecutive nights? Are you sure you didn't sign up for this?

I wonder if you are getting the promo pts but not your BRG pts.
Old May 2, 2014, 4:58 am

Programs: AC*Super Elite (100K) / PR*Elite / AY*Platinum (OWE) / SPG*Bonvoy Titanium (LTT)
Originally Posted by margarita girl
It's this promo. Are your stays for 2 consecutive nights? Are you sure you didn't sign up for this?

I wonder if you are getting the promo pts but not your BRG pts.
Hi margarita girl,

They were all overnight stays (layover). Yes im positive i didnt sign up for the virgin atlantic stays as i put all spg promos/offers in a different email file.

I jsut checked the v.a. promo earlier and indeed it does require a 2 night min. stay.

At first i didnt mind my first brg claim in this property which posted as a virgin australia 2000 award as im quite new to brg claims (this year) and i thought they were one and the same....

But now im beginning to question this sort of way of posting the 2000 brg award points as all other properties shows up as best rate guarantee 2000 points as a description on latest activities.

Should i just leave it as it is as i am getting the 2k points anyways for the best rate guarantee? Or should i report this anomaly to the best rate guarantee desk? My account may be audited and starwood deduct the points as i dont qualify for this virgin atlantic promo and i am 110% positive i didnt sign up for it either.

Last edited by supatight80; May 2, 2014 at 6:33 am
Old May 2, 2014, 6:18 am

Programs: spirit elite, MRgold Hilton Gold
Has any one had any success for a getaroom "membership rate". Best I can tell you don't actually have to join anything

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.