Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Get ready for SPG®’s newest promotion, SPG Triple Up

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Get ready for SPG®’s newest promotion, SPG Triple Up

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2011, 7:43 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by gfowler-ord-1k
I actually had some stays planned (but not booked yet) at some of the "Non-Participating Properties". Guess where I probably won't be staying. In every case there is a reasonable alternative property that is participating.
Originally Posted by bzz100
Wow, in the 10 years I have been an SPG Platinum member this is the first time I have ever seen a list that excludes every single SPG hotel in the South Bay area of Northern California.

Four Points San Jose Downtown - NOPE
Sheraton San Jose - NOPE
Sheraton Sunnyvale - NOPE
Westin Palo Alto - NOPE
Sheraton Palo Alto - NOPE
W Silicon Valley - NOPE

This is really surprising as I frequent both Sunnyvale and San Jose properties and they don't always seem to have a high occupancy rate.

Oh well, after 100+ SPG stays this year I think I am going to try and max out on the Hyatt promo at the Hyatt Regency Santa Clara (formerly Westin) and migrate over to the Hilton promo.
The very long list of non participating properties substantially waters down thie practical appeal of this promo.
Old Aug 28, 2011, 7:47 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
SPG pays the hotel for award bookings. It's not rack rate by any means, but it is revenue. From what I've read on FlyerTalk, the hotel must pay SPG for the points it awards (though I don't know if that's paid directly or through a management contract), including any points awarded in promos.
If the hotel is near full occupancy, SPG pays a full rate. If the hotel is not near full occupancy, SPG pays less, but then the room would be empty and the hotel would get nothing. So, SPG award stays are an attractive revenue benefit to the hotels.
Old Aug 28, 2011, 8:22 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by andy3fan
Understood, but what do you think the advantages or disadvantages are for a hotel to opt in/out? How much does it really cost them to award the double/triple points? Somehow I would have thought that the property would have lost out when I booked a points room (as they gave it up instead of revenue), not when they award the points.
The advantage for a property to opt out, apparently a contractual right at Starwood, is that the property doesn't pay SPG for the points awarded. The more points, the greater the cost. Points are effectively a discount against the rate the customer pays. They are effectively a discount although the customer doesn't see the discount as a dollar credit.

If you were the property owner and you could sell and fill a room for $350/night or $325/night, which rate would you pick? Well, it's the same thing here. If you can fill a room at $350/night with no promo or at $350/night with triple promo, which would you choose if you had the choice.

This represents a clear choice by the opt out hotels and I presume that they have undertaken the market research to determine that they will do just fine by opting out. Or put another way, the pittance they will lose from those who stay elsewhere is far made up for by those who want the rooms without the promo.
Old Aug 28, 2011, 8:24 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by margarita girl
3 nights coming up in Orlando and all properties are excluded.

So this is what I booked:

Sheraton MCO Downtown -- BRG approved at $59
WDW Swan -- BRG approved at $155
WDW Dolphin -- BRG approved at $138

6000 bonus points. Take that SPG!

(Could have also had the Sheraton Vistana at $79 and the Sheraton Safari at $66.)
If Starwood had to depend on folks paying $155/night, it would be in bankruptcy. People paying those kinds of rates are the ones they would just as soon shed so that they have room available for people paying in the $250-300/night.
Old Aug 28, 2011, 9:00 am

changing the topic from "my hotels aren't participating. I'm joining Hilton" to "I'm an ignorant noob help me out".... can someone explain what components of your points get doubled/tripled

The current promo-less breakdown of points is:

2 *p/$ + 1 *p/$ for SPG Platinum + 2 *p/$ for SPG Amex

Do all 3 of those areas double/triple, or just certain parts of those

The reason it's important to me is because I stay by Aloft's, and with the current promotion of 1000 Amex MR points per stay, whether those SPG Amex points also double/triple affects which credit card I should be paying for my stay with
Old Aug 28, 2011, 9:12 am

Originally Posted by Often1
The advantage for a property to opt out, apparently a contractual right at Starwood, is that the property doesn't pay SPG for the points awarded. The more points, the greater the cost. Points are effectively a discount against the rate the customer pays. They are effectively a discount although the customer doesn't see the discount as a dollar credit.

If you were the property owner and you could sell and fill a room for $350/night or $325/night, which rate would you pick? Well, it's the same thing here. If you can fill a room at $350/night with no promo or at $350/night with triple promo, which would you choose if you had the choice.

This represents a clear choice by the opt out hotels and I presume that they have undertaken the market research to determine that they will do just fine by opting out. Or put another way, the pittance they will lose from those who stay elsewhere is far made up for by those who want the rooms without the promo.
It's a weakness of the chain that Starwood doesn't require participation in these promos as part of its franchise agreement...it clearly has certain standards and an advertising allowance which are required of the properties...frankly, this is a form of advertising and marketing.

Anyway, let's say this promotion costs an average of 500 points per night, and the hotels pay SPG 2 cents per point (for the sake of easy math), so it would cost a hotel $10 per room. Assuming a property had 500 rooms and was running at 80% occupancy for the promotion period, this promo would cost a hotel $4,000 per night. Assuming the hotel has an average Profit per Room Night of $300 (including f&b profits and minus direct expenses such as laundry, room amenities, etc.), it would therefore need to feel that the promo would generate an average of about 13 additional room nights per day...maybe it would or maybe not?

In addition, this math does not consider the ill will, and lost future business, that a property might generate by not participating, and the lost ability to favorably influence a customer and generate future incremental revenue from that customer from future stays.

In general, I think properties that don't participate are short-sighted, and SPG is rather weak in its franchise relationships...or, this promo is ill conceived, as so many properties have determined that it just doesn't pay off.
Old Aug 28, 2011, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
If Starwood had to depend on folks paying $155/night, it would be in bankruptcy. People paying those kinds of rates are the ones they would just as soon shed so that they have room available for people paying in the $250-300/night.
Hmm, should I be apologizing for booking rates that are available on various other web sites? (By giving me the same price, the hotel doesn't have to pay a commission to the 3rd party web site.) Well, since I don't have a job, tough! Thankfully, those on expense accounts and/or gainfully employed can keep SPG hotels in the black.

BTW, resubmitted the Swan BRG because I found a lower rate there too. Expect to get that one down to $137 as well.
Old Aug 28, 2011, 9:38 am

Programs: UA, Marriott
Is it just the corporate hotels opting out?

Originally Posted by itsaboutthejourney
I agree that some of these hotels are doing very well and don't need to offer the promo, but if they are doing so well and don't want to agree to the basic terms of the SPG program then maybe they would be even better as independents or in another chain? Starwood is undercutting its own brands by letting hotels go 'rogue' ....with or without this promo.
I stay at the San Diego Marina, which is a corporate hotel. I think all the other San Diego Starwood properties on the 'non-participating' list are also corporate. Bummer...

There are other participating properties in the area; however, IMO the extra ~10K points I could get are not worth switching to the older hotels in the area with less quality comforts.
Old Aug 28, 2011, 9:57 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by nologic
this math does not consider the ill will, and lost future business, that a property might generate by not participating, and the lost ability to favorably influence a customer and generate future incremental revenue from that customer from future stays.
No logic ! ill will for not participating in a promo ? lost future business ? what about hotels which do not even participate in any loyalty programme ?
Old Aug 28, 2011, 10:03 am

Originally Posted by mario33
No logic ! ill will for not participating in a promo ? lost future business ? what about hotels which do not even participate in any loyalty programme ?
Yes, I am sure some peole will harbor ill will and not stay at a property in the future because they opted out of the promo at a time when someone w planning a potential stay or multiple stays. Many people don't like to feel nickeled and dimed or short changed...the cost of customer dissatisfaction is much higher than many people mint suspect.

As for hotels which don't participate in a loyalty program...that's a different kettle of fish and a different cost/benefit analysis.
Old Aug 28, 2011, 10:25 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by gexgirl
I stay at the San Diego Marina, which is a corporate hotel. I think all the other San Diego Starwood properties on the 'non-participating' list are also corporate. Bummer...

There are other participating properties in the area; however, IMO the extra ~10K points I could get are not worth switching to the older hotels in the area with less quality comforts.
The San Diego hotels may be managed by Starwood but as of June 30, 2011, no San Diego properties are owned by Starwood. At December 31, 2010, only the Westin Gaslamp was owned by Starwood but apparently has been sold since that time.
Old Aug 28, 2011, 11:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by wallaby
I can assure you, there are zero participating properties in Brisbane.
I think you totally missed yosithezet's point, as you're both right.
Old Aug 28, 2011, 11:30 am

Programs: AA EXP - 3.7MM, Bonv LIFETIME Titan, HH Dmd, Hyatt Glob., Priority Clb Dmd, Ntnl Exec El., Sixt PLT
Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker
Let me be the first to confirm news on SPG’s upcoming promotion. Kicking off September 6th, registered members will earn double or triple Starpoints® on every stay through December 18, 2011.
- Sorry, William, this promo does not excite me as none of the hotels I am usually staying are participating. Also, I have re-qualified for PLT already. Any special bonuses for us who already re-qualified?
Old Aug 28, 2011, 12:17 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, PC Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by Alex_I
- Sorry, William, this promo does not excite me as none of the hotels I am usually staying are participating. Also, I have re-qualified for PLT already. Any special bonuses for us who already re-qualified?
+1 for me. I will be staying at the Sheraton Frankfurt for the next 3 months (on and off) and it is not participating. The other sheraton in the area is not participating as well.
Old Aug 28, 2011, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
But instead it rewards them with more SPG bonus miles because they were able to find a lower rate. Kinda contradicts your thesis. Seems Starwood actually encourages us to seek out the lowest rates rather than pruning us from their elite ranks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.