Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Royal Hawaiian vs. Moana Surfrider

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2014, 12:47 pm

Programs: MAR Lifetime Platinum, Delta Plat., IHG Spire Amb., Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by cruiser9999
The Royal Hawaiian is more 'old world', somewhat dark, quiet and dignified; the Moana is brighter inside, much more lively (because of the smaller lobby area) and fewer long 'bowling alley' corridors though they exist in both. The Royal is behind a shopping area and thus little noise from Kalakaua; the Westin is right on Kalakaua so more noisy but also more fun to sit on the rocking chairs on the front porch if you want to people watch. Both are equally good and platinum treatment has been the same for both.

Doesn't Moana now have a club lounge? Royal Hawaiian doesn't, right?
Old Mar 1, 2014, 5:05 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Not to hijack this thread (which means I'll attempt to do so) - for a honeymoon, would y'all go with Sheraton or Moana Surfrider? Right now I have a room reserved for us at Sheraton with cash & points, however second guessing myself. Sheraton seems rather massive, not intimate, no direct beach access, however pool seems pretty sweet. IIRC starwood guests get access to all the pools on waikiki - is that correct? Moana surfrider still has rooms at the cash&points rate avail on our dates - should I switch?
Old Mar 1, 2014, 5:53 pm

Programs: Skywards Platinum
Originally Posted by no1cub17
Not to hijack this thread (which means I'll attempt to do so) - for a honeymoon, would y'all go with Sheraton or Moana Surfrider? Right now I have a room reserved for us at Sheraton with cash & points, however second guessing myself. Sheraton seems rather massive, not intimate, no direct beach access, however pool seems pretty sweet. IIRC starwood guests get access to all the pools on waikiki - is that correct? Moana surfrider still has rooms at the cash&points rate avail on our dates - should I switch?
For a honeymoon I would kick down and do the Royal Hawaiian, but barring that, I would do the Westin. It just has more character, I think, and less just a big concrete block. Having said that, I like the Sheraton, but for a special occasion I think the other options are just a bit more special.
Old Mar 1, 2014, 5:57 pm

Originally Posted by whimike
For a honeymoon I would kick down and do the Royal Hawaiian, but barring that, I would do the Westin. It just has more character, I think, and less just a big concrete block. Having said that, I like the Sheraton, but for a special occasion I think the other options are just a bit more special.
Was thinking RH too but no cash & points rooms at the moment. May call SPG and ask about redemption options. Any experience at the Moana as far as upgrades for golds? Don't really want to splurge down 10K + $180 for a beautiful city view (as beautiful as Honolulu is I'm sure). Then again no guarantee of being able to upgrade at the Sheraton either. And do you know if the Sheraton will allow us to use the infinity pool if we're staying at the moana? or would we not even need to since we'd have direct beach access anyway?
Old Mar 1, 2014, 6:31 pm

Was thinking RH too but no cash & points rooms at the moment. May call SPG and ask about redemption options. Any experience at the Moana as far as upgrades for golds? Don't really want to splurge down 10K + $180 for a beautiful city view (as beautiful as Honolulu is I'm sure). Then again no guarantee of being able to upgrade at the Sheraton either. And do you know if the Sheraton will allow us to use the infinity pool if we're staying at the moana? or would we not even need to since we'd have direct beach access anyway?
I am afraid I don't know what the upgrades are for gold members. I also don't know the answer to using the Sheraton pool. The Westin pool is minimalistic, but I just love sitting at the tables at the Westin near the beach, having some drink/food, and listening to the live hawaiian music.
Old Mar 1, 2014, 6:40 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Ambassador/Lifetime Titanium, Accor Silver, Club Carlson Gold, BW Diamond
There are no shared pool privileges amongst the Starwood hotels in Waikiki. Wrist bands are provided at the Sheraton Waikiki.
Old Mar 1, 2014, 6:56 pm

Originally Posted by clublounger
There are no shared pool privileges amongst the Starwood hotels in Waikiki. Wrist bands are provided at the Sheraton Waikiki.
Good to know - thanks. Will probably just stick with Sheraton and hope for the best! The infinity pool looks amazing - hopefully as nice in real life as it looks in pictures.
Old Mar 2, 2014, 12:08 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
The infinity pool looks amazing - hopefully as nice in real life as it looks in pictures.
It is very nice - and no kids!
Old Mar 2, 2014, 1:00 pm

Programs: AA (850k miles), SPG Platinum
I have stayed at all 4 properties - RH, Sheraton, Moana Surfrider, and Sheraton Princess Kaiulani.

RH - the best. i like the breezy common grounds and the access to the beach. They usually have some chairs and stuff for RH guests. it's relatively quiet compared to the other properties and has a nice luxury feel to it.

Moana Surfrider - i like this 2nd best. it's a little busy and there are always a lot of people walking around in front of the hotel since it's right in the middle of the shopping part of town. but the lobby is nice and the grounds are nice. i like the bar and they have live music at night. beach access is nice but gets crowded.

Sheraton - they have the best pool. It has a nice slide. access to the beach is also nice since it's right next to RH.

Sheraton Princess Kaiulani - i try to avoid this hotel. the pool is nice but you have to walk a bit to get to the beach which is a pain. the lobby and common areas are always packed full of people (mostly tourist groups from Japan). the room feed dated.

For a honeymoon I would book the RH. if that fails, i'd go with the moana surfrider.
Old Mar 2, 2014, 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by clublounger
Has this changed recently? Last time I stayed at the RH they said I could use the Sheraton pool.
Old Mar 3, 2014, 6:58 pm

Programs: Starwood Platinum, AA Gold
Royal Hawaiin vs. Moana Surfrider

The large activity pool is shared between RH and Sheraton. Tho other pools are reserved for each hotel's guests only.
Old Mar 3, 2014, 7:05 pm
Formally known as reinmedia

Programs: AA EXP | EX UA 1K | Marriot Titanium
The Royal is a league above all others. You can in fact use both pools at the Sheraton, but you don't have the craziness that comes with staying at the Sheraton. It is the most crowded of all the Starwood properties usually catering towards families (waterslide) while RH is very quiet and relaxing.

If RH is out of the question, my second choice would be the Moana. I would ask to be put in the tower and not the historic wing. Rooms are a little better in the Tower.
Old Mar 3, 2014, 7:12 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by reinmedia
You can in fact use both pools at the Sheraton, but you don't have the craziness that comes with staying at the Sheraton.
I recently stayed there. You can't use the Edge pool at the Sheraton unless you sneak in - you can use the large shared pool (called the Helumoa Playground) - I suppose you could take your pool towels and sneak over but you aren't supposed as a RH guest use the Edge pool.
Old Apr 19, 2014, 8:55 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, SPG Gold. I share these affiliations so that you can ask me questions about the programs
I might be the lone voice that prefers the Moana Surfrider. This is probably because I always ask for and receive a good room in the historic wing (because I stay often and I only stay for one night). The rooms in the historic wing have very high ceilings on the 2nd floor, and terrific ocean views on floors 3/4/5/6. Request a room on the 6th floor as it has the best views and has corridors with windows on both sides and lanais with chairs to enjoy. They also recently added a great club lounge which I've toured but haven't enjoyed. The spa is also very good, better than the RH, as it is ocean front with an ocean view hot tub, sauna, steam room, and great showers. The staff are also very good, particularly Keith at the front desk, who seems to work 24/7 with the spirit of aloha.

Let me know if you have any questions about this hotel or area.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 11:44 am

Programs: United 1K 2MM / Marriott LTP
Originally Posted by Goodmorning2U
The staff are also very good, particularly Keith at the front desk, who seems to work 24/7 with the spirit of aloha.
Agree about Keith at the Moana. He has been there for as long as I have been staying at the Moana and has always been top notch!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.