Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Grand Central, NYC [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westin Grand Central, NYC [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2012, 9:55 am
Original Member

Just booked Dec 28 to Jan 2, 2013 for cash and points.
Old Jan 10, 2012, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by peccles
Just booked Dec 28 to Jan 2, 2013 for cash and points.
very nice....i wish they offered c&p for this may as well....
Old Feb 6, 2012, 6:55 am

Westin New York Helmsley Hotel

New York Helmsley Hotel Launches $65 Million Transformation in Preparation to Fly the Westin Flag in Spring 2012

New Landmark Westin Property will feature Redesigned Guestrooms, Lobby experience, Meeting Space and more...

STAMFORD, Conn., Feb 06, 2012 (BUSINESS WIRE) -- Today Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide, Inc. HOT +4.61% and Host Hotels & Resorts HST +3.87% announced the launch of a $65 million renovation of the historic New York Helmsley Hotel which will fly the Westin flag following the extensive re-branding initiative. Debuting in 2012, the new hotel will join its sister property, Westin New York at Times Square in the prime location of midtown Manhattan. Located just blocks away from both Grand Central Terminal and the United Nations, the hotel will continue to be an iconic New York City landmark while providing guests a premium, signature Westin experience.

The multi-million renovation includes a complete redesign of the hotel's 774 spacious guestrooms, each boasting over 300 square feet. The hotel will offer the full suite of Westin signature amenities and services designed to inspire wellbeing in a sophisticated and elegant setting including the iconic Westin Heavenly(R) Bed. The lobby bar/restaurant will be extended to 42nd street and the entire facade of the building will be completely transformed. More than 15,000 square feet of meeting space will also be renovated. The estimated six-month renovation is expected to take place from January 2012 to June 2012, and rooms will remain open to accommodate guests during the conversion.

"The transformation of the New York Helmsley Hotel into a flagship Westin hotel marks a new era for this historic hotel and its neighborhood," said Brian Povinelli, Global Brand Leader, Westin Hotels & Resorts. "From the Heavenly Bed, to WestinWORKOUT(R) and our in-room spa offerings, these signature Westin amenities at this iconic New York structure will better suit the needs of both business and leisure travelers and will provide our guests a bit of well-being in the center of bustling New York City."

New Flagship will feature Westin Eco-Friendly Classic Room Design

All 774, 300+ square-foot guestrooms, including 11 one-bedroom suites and one three-bedroom presidential suite, will be undergo a floor-to-ceiling renovation and feature the brand's eco-friendly Westin Classic design scheme. All rooms will utilize eco-friendly materials such as energy-conserving LED and CFL lights, water conserving low flow plumbing and recycle-able carpet pads, low VOC finishes for casegoods and GreenGuard certified solar shades. The brand's signature design scheme reflects a simple, refined elegance that provide guests with soothing environment that allows them to relax and be at their best, playing a pivotal role in reinforcing the brand's identity and wellness strategy.

Meeting Space with NYC Views

The hotel will feature more than 15,000 square feet of renovated meeting and event space featuring floor-to-ceiling windows and 12' ceilings that provide great New York City views. Five new break-out rooms will be added and the largest space can accommodate 450 guests. Teleconferencing capabilities, fiber optics, and some of the highest bandwidth in Manhattan are a few of the additional amenities.

The hotel's location in Midtown Manhattan provides stunning views of the Empire State Building, Chrysler Building, and East River. The new Westin New York will be the second Westin Hotel in New York City, accompanying the Westin Times Square.

SOURCE: Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide, Inc.
Old Feb 15, 2012, 7:01 pm

Programs: United GS, Starwood Platinum
any recent stay experiences, how do they treat plats?
Old Feb 15, 2012, 8:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP/CK, UA1K
Despite being NYC based, had to check in because of a long, long couple of days of work. Have stayed i two different rooms - one before I made plat (challenge) and one after.

As a plat, I got an upgrade to a standard but refurbished room. As a gold (checking in at 10:00 AM just to get two hours of sleep) I didn't.

The refurbished rooms are great. Everything but the mattress is Westin quality.

The old rooms are a disaster. Like staying in a tourist class hotel in Europe.
Old Mar 14, 2012, 10:22 am

Programs: UA1K MM, MI LTP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, BA Silver
Customer Service in NYC

Originally Posted by Seattlenerd
I hesitate to say this, but: I have never had a warm, caring staff at any Starwood Manhattan hotel: Westin, Sheraton, W, whatever. Even non-Starwood, to my recollection.

In Manhattan, they may be efficient, but not really all that into you.
Try the Parker Meridien. By far my favorite. They aim to please.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 7:37 am

Programs: FPC Plat, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, PC Plt Amb
Has real good potential

Just completed a stay.
Was put in a renovated room. Not large, but adequate in size. The renovation is quite nicely done. Noticed that beds are labeled Heavenly Beds, so I guess they have now taken care of mattresses.
Fast internet. Both wired and wireless.
Inroom safe.
Coffeemaker.
Air Con works. And yes, you can switch back and forth between air con and heat. Quiet too.
There's a minibar in the room, but was empty.
Noticed no alarm clock. But no matter.
Toilettries are nice. I think when they eventually switch to Westin standard issue, it will be a step down.
Bathroom was fine. Curved shower rod. But curtain a bit too short. Another 2-3 inches and it will do a better job preventing water from coming onto the floor.
Service was fine. Everyone we encountered was courteous and professional. Some more friendly and cheerful than others, but all was good.
Only thing that wasn't so great was the fact that our room (xx23) was directly across from the staff/service elevator and storage room (or something like that). Didn't know at first, but in the mornings around 8:30-9, it was like a trading floor out there. Made up for lack of alarm clock, I guess.
Parking is $60 (incl, tax). Valet only.
All in all, a good stay. Once all the renovations are done, this will likely be my hotel of choice for NYC.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 8:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I stayed here in October 2011 - I won't stay here again.

No upgrade for Plat - no real recognition of the status at all to be honest. Low floow, dark room that obviously had not been renovated since the 1980's or so. One-night weekend stay...figured if they were *ever* going to upgrade a Plat, it would be this stay. But no...

Check-in was a zoo. Disinterested staff. It reminded me of a stay in Manhattan from about 10 years earlier when I was backpacking at a Ramada Inn over on the sleazy side of Times Square. Similar lobby decor, similar chaos, similar attitude from the staff.

Bar area was a little better. Slightly more upscale feel...most Four Points would have been proud, maybe even a low-end Sheraton.

The following day, I attempted to use the concierge to arrange a private car. It's a 23 to 25 mile ride I've done several times for which I know at least three NYC limo companies charge $90-110 plus tip. (I figured the concierge might be able to get a car to the hotel faster than I could by calling my usual contacts.) The concierge apparently thought I was a mark - tried to tell me it was a 50-60 mile ride and he'd try to find me a $175-200 deal. I thought that was a pretty low-rent move for a Starwood concierge. (I called for a limo myself.)

Anyway, if this place flies the Westin flag, I hope they've replaced nearly all of the staff in addition to throwing Heavenly Beds in the rooms. This place was nowhere near Westin standard this past fall. Ramada, perhaps...
Old Mar 19, 2012, 10:33 am

Programs: LAN, AA, SPG
I also found the staff to be sadly lacking even though I did get an upgraded room which I quite liked.
As far as the staff though --- I have noticed the same thing about several hotels in the city ----What do the bell men and door men actually do except stand around talking to each other? At this property it was particularly glaring.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 11:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by phlashba
What do the bell men and door men actually do except stand around talking to each other?
In addition to standing around talking to each other, they also collect tips.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 1:48 pm

To those that have stayed here lately, how are the lobby and general common area renovations going?
Old Mar 19, 2012, 3:12 pm
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
Originally Posted by choptliva
Just completed a stay.
Was put in a renovated room. Not large, but adequate in size. The renovation is quite nicely done. Noticed that beds are labeled Heavenly Beds, so I guess they have now taken care of mattresses.
Fast internet. Both wired and wireless.
Inroom safe.
Coffeemaker.
Air Con works. And yes, you can switch back and forth between air con and heat. Quiet too.
There's a minibar in the room, but was empty.
Noticed no alarm clock. But no matter.
Toilettries are nice. I think when they eventually switch to Westin standard issue, it will be a step down.
Bathroom was fine. Curved shower rod. But curtain a bit too short. Another 2-3 inches and it will do a better job preventing water from coming onto the floor.
Service was fine. Everyone we encountered was courteous and professional. Some more friendly and cheerful than others, but all was good.
Only thing that wasn't so great was the fact that our room (xx23) was directly across from the staff/service elevator and storage room (or something like that). Didn't know at first, but in the mornings around 8:30-9, it was like a trading floor out there. Made up for lack of alarm clock, I guess.
Parking is $60 (incl, tax). Valet only.
All in all, a good stay. Once all the renovations are done, this will likely be my hotel of choice for NYC.
Very similar to my experience. I too had a renovated high floor corner room. Great views of the Chysler building and down 42nd St.

Most respectably sized room, especially for NYC! Very good overall. ^

My room did not have a coffee maker though.
And I too loved the toiletries! Some Italian spa brand IIRC. But way superior to the Heavenly Westin stuff.

All the staff I interacted with were most pleasant and helpful. And the doormen held the door open, and even were pushing the heavy revolving doors every time. And they were never obvious about wanting a tip.

This will be my hotel of choice in NYC every time from now, unless I get the Parker Meridien at the same or a lower rate.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 4:49 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globlist, Hilton Silver, Amtrak Select Plus, UA Silver
Seems that some of us were here this past week/weekend. I had a similar experience with the newly renovated rooms - very nicely done. They said only 3 floors have been renovated (I think 21, 22, 23). They plan to add one new floor a week - there are over 40 floors according to the elevator buttons.

The entire room was redone - real Heavenly bed (not those home versions), new desk, chairs, lights, you name, is new - except the windows. They were not replaced so some street noise does come through. Even the door hardware is top notch as they were very quiet when you open and shut the door – especially the BR doors. The cool/heat unit worked very well.

Some things they can improve are:

Other things to be aware of - breakfast is ONLY for 2. Your name will show up on their list of Plat guest. Saturday was just coffee, juice, fruit, and a variety of breads. On Sunday they gave full breakfast - they said continental was not available on Sunday. They also mentioned they might start a buffet soon. The food was ok. A lounge would be better
              And if you need just a coffee in the morning or a light meal, go to Aroma across the street. Is pretty good.

The gym is being renovated but they'll give you a past to a nearby gym.

Of all the hotels I’ve stayed at on 42nd st (Hilton East side, Hilton TS, Westin TS, Andaz 5th, GHNY), this by far beats them all in terms of points redemption. It is only 12K/night for a very nice room (if you get it) compare to what is being asked for at those other properties. And if one compares this to other 12K spg hotels in NYC, this wins hands down. I do not doubt the redemption category for this property will increase in ’13 once all the rooms are renovated. So take advantage this year.

Last edited by hotelfanatic; Mar 19, 2012 at 4:56 pm
              Old Mar 21, 2012, 5:46 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, SPG Platinum, Amex Platinum, Delta Reserve
              Just stayed 1 night here. While thankfully got a renovated room, there was a nonstop alarm outside my door, beeping sporadically throughout the night, then like an alarm clock at 6:00 a.m. Called the operator who transferred me to the manager extension, where the phone rang and rang forever. Finally after 3 tries, I got a very nice front office manager, who offered me 5000 Starwood points for my sleepless night. I have received 654 points. No restaurant, roomservice, bar or health club during renovations.

Sadly the w union square is pretty much the same, only 1/3 of the rooms available, no restaurant, and small lobby bar. Stuck here again next week, Bringing earplugs, ambien and a bottle of wine this time.

I do agree, in person staff not very attentive, similar to every Starwood W hotel everywhere, but very atypical of Westin. They have a long way to go.
              Old Mar 21, 2012, 7:22 pm

I stayed there a few weeks ago since it was the only available Starwood property in Manhattan due to my very last minute trip. No wonder why it was available...

While my room was "renovated," it was "50% renovated" to me as so many details were still yet completed.

I had issues with housekeeping (she kept knocking the door in the morning to find out what time I was leaving in spite "Do not disturb" sign was on, and front desk personnel confirmed 4pm check-out at checking-in).

Upon checkout, the front desk agent (she was the only attendant) kept chatting with guests from South America in Spanish even after completing the guests' checkout process while a bunch of us waiting in the queue to be served. I understand Spanish and they were simply chatting on and on about the guests' plans/things to do after checkout.

I finally gave up and left my room keys with those guys standing in the lobby near the door (who I had no ideas what they were exactly doing) and left the hotel.

I wrote my review of the hotel under SPG's review page, however, it was never posted while my other comments (positive feedback) regarding other properties were posted and visible - interestingly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.