Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Grand Central, NYC [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westin Grand Central, NYC [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2012, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by Vinodavid
Yes, our window latch is broken. I don't think I'll bother mentioning that to management--it doesn't seem like they would be all that fussed about making sure guests have a delightful experience...

Yikes...between the reviews of this place and Le Meridien is there a decent SPG option in NYC for under $600/night?
As the parent of a couple of curious kids, I'd implore you to mention the broken latch to them.

Under $600? Believe it or not, not too many right now. NYC is booked solid and they can charge pretty much whatever they want.

Mike
Old Oct 15, 2012, 12:19 pm

Programs: CO-plat, SPG-plat
Originally Posted by Antonio8069
I opted for breakfast (in lieu of points) for my SPG amenity. We had a full breakfast (for 4) in Leonardo and it was complimentary.
Was this a buffet style breakfast inclusive of beverages?

Another post in Platinum continental breakfast thread suggests a pre fixe continental breakfast that sounds very skimpy. I will probably opt for the Sheraton with rate inclusive of breakfast if this property does not offer a good Platinum breakfast option. I recall the Sheraton restaurant buffet being quite tasty.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/19033987-post753.html

Thank you!
Old Oct 15, 2012, 3:03 pm

Programs: BA GfL
Originally Posted by mikeef
As the parent of a couple of curious kids, I'd implore you to mention the broken latch to them.
The trouble with that is that the broken latch had nothing to do with the fact that the window opens fully--they ALL open fully. The broken latch just meant that the top sash on mine didn't close properly. In other words, it's a feature, not a bug. If the NY Buildings Dept. didn't catch this, I doubt the hotel is going to do anything about it. And this was probably a holdover from the previous hotel, too (I had never stayed there, and to be honest, I don't normally test windows in hotel rooms).
Old Oct 15, 2012, 8:32 pm

Originally Posted by travelmad478
If the NY Buildings Dept. didn't catch this, I doubt the hotel is going to do anything about it.
What did you want the buildings department to catch?

I don't know what the regulations are regarding NYC hotel windows. Does anybody have that info?

For NYC apartments, windows can open fully, but the landlord is required to provide child guards if there are children in the apartment (by tenant request/notification to landlord).

Maybe the hotel will provide some sort of child guards or lock the windows if you request it? I don't really know, but I don't think anybody else does either.

I left a hotel once after checking in with the toddler at the time because the window opened fully on the 4th or 5th floor, so I understand the issue when there are kids present. (it was a cheap disney outside the park property, and they couldn't do anything about the window, so we left because of our safety concerns).

But the people that stayed at this property haven't contacted the property or Starwood to even ask about it or tried to get them to do something about the non-closing windows, the latch issues and the guard issues if/when there are children present in the room.

If it's really a concern, I think you should check with property management, and hopefully the people that stayed there and had an issue with the windows will report it.

-David
Old Oct 28, 2012, 5:36 am

Yes, our window latch is broken. I don't think I'll bother mentioning that to management--it doesn't seem like they would be all that fussed about making sure guests have a delightful experience...

Yikes...between the reviews of this place and Le Meridien is there a decent SPG option in NYC for under $600/night?
Based on all the reviews I am reading this weekend, I am starting to wonder if thre is a decent SPG option in NYC for OVER $600/night?

Happy to pay through the nose for a great stay, but so many 'fails' being reported in so many of the reviews, for so many of the NYC SPG properties, is quite alarming.

I shall keep on researching...

Cheers,
Old Oct 28, 2012, 10:25 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globlist, Hilton Silver, Amtrak Select Plus, UA Silver

I did not find the reviews in this thread to be overly negative. In fact, most of it has been positve since the renovation. I do agree the breakfast is skimpy but other than that (and the borken lock in one room), this is a great spg NYC property which I have stayed a number of times and will be back soon. Not sure how the $600 was selected as a rate to compare against (maybe during extraordinary periods of high demand such as UN conference or Fashion week??). But this property can be had for much less if available.

Last edited by hotelfanatic; Oct 29, 2012 at 8:23 am
Old Oct 29, 2012, 9:16 am

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Plat Premier, SPG Plat
My stay was good and I think most others who have written up their stays have had positive experiences. The fun of the internet is that all the "little" things add up and negative reviews stand out. If you take a step back, this has been a positive thread (and even the LM one if you take out a few overactive conversations).
Old Oct 29, 2012, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Flews
Based on all the reviews I am reading this weekend, I am starting to wonder if thre is a decent SPG option in NYC for OVER $600/night?

Happy to pay through the nose for a great stay, but so many 'fails' being reported in so many of the reviews, for so many of the NYC SPG properties, is quite alarming.

I shall keep on researching...

Cheers,
If it makes you feel any better, there are no better options for Hilton, Marriott or Hyatt.

Mike
Old Oct 29, 2012, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mikeef
If it makes you feel any better, there are no better options for Hilton, Marriott or Hyatt.

Mike
I just received some offers from the Taj Pierre for 475 to 600 a night including breakfast. If the big chains are charging prices over 600 it is quite easy to decide where to stay.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG
I just received some offers from the Taj Pierre for 475 to 600 a night including breakfast. If the big chains are charging prices over 600 it is quite easy to decide where to stay.
^

Needless to say, I'd grab that one in a heartbeat.

Mike
Old Oct 31, 2012, 9:52 pm

I'm here right now. It's a decent hotel if you're willing to overlook the typical indifferent NYC service. I live about 10 blocks south and right now 'm just grateful to have power and water.
Old Nov 4, 2012, 12:37 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Thumbs up Excellent stay

I just completed a two-night weekend stay. Not having any idea what to expect in the wake of Hurricane Sandy, I was very pleasantly surprised.

I was upgraded to a two-room suite which was very nice. Pretty standard-issue Westin, but a nice amount of space and I liked the fact the living room was separated by door. The bathroom was accessible from either room, which would have made it nice had anyone been sleeping on the sofa sleeper in the living room.

I found the staff very helpful and pleasant in every interaction I had -- in spite of very difficult circumstances. The hotel was filled with angry marathoners (not all, of course) and locals with no idea when they'd be able to return to their homes. People were over-staying their reservations (with consent by the management) and they were trying to balance who was coming in with who was going out. It had to be a very trying situation for the staff. I thought they handled it gracefully.

Reports here thus far have seemed average-to-poor, so given the situation in NY right now, my expectations were quite low. The staff blew them away.

I would stay here again. Very convenient mid-town location and a solid Westin product.
Old Nov 4, 2012, 8:23 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globlist, Hilton Silver, Amtrak Select Plus, UA Silver
Originally Posted by AZ Travels the World
Reports here thus far have seemed average-to-poor, so given the situation in NY right now, my expectations were quite low. The staff blew them away.
Glade to hear the hotel is handling the difficult situation in NYC. I agree that this is a solid spg property and probably the best in its category in NYC.

You may want to review the earlier reports (in 2012) as they are very similar to yours.
Old Nov 4, 2012, 10:06 pm

Programs: CO-plat, SPG-plat
Originally Posted by AZ Travels the World
I just completed a two-night weekend stay. Not having any idea what to expect in the wake of Hurricane Sandy, I was very pleasantly surprised.
Was the Platinum continental breakfast a full buffet inclusive of beverages?

Another post in Platinum continental breakfast thread suggests a pre fixe continental breakfast that sounds very skimpy.

Thank you!
Old Nov 5, 2012, 10:15 am

Originally Posted by Totoro
Was the Platinum continental breakfast a full buffet inclusive of beverages?

Another post in Platinum continental breakfast thread suggests a pre fixe continental breakfast that sounds very skimpy.

Thank you!
Very Skimpy. I would even recommend going across the street to get ur breakfast.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.