Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Resort Fees : How are benefits that are already free handled at SPG properties ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 6, 2014, 7:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TravelinSperry
If no alternative amenity was offered by the FrontDesk for Platinum Members, please use the following template when writing in to Customer Service:

I recently stayed at XX.

The following problem occurred:

Resort fee charged by this property covered amenities already included in my Platinum status (free Internet). The property did not offer alternative amenities. Please advise.

Kind regards

If the Customer Care officer have no clue about this, please advise them to:

Access their intranet site and reference a document there entitled "Resorts: Resort Charge Alternate Replacement Item for Platinum/VIP Members".

They will find this document in the SPG Learning Center under the Resorts/Hawaii section. If after reading this document, the customer care person has difficulty filing a formal complaint on your behalf, please ask to speak to their supervisor.

North America

United States
California - Le Meridien Delfina Santa Monica - Fee: $18.00 daily; Replacement Amenity: Full breakfast
California - Westin Mission Hills & Resort - Fee $35 daily; Replacement Amenity: $5 credit off fee.
Florida - The Westin Cape Coral Resort at Marina Village - Fee: $15.00 daily (tax not included); Replacement Amenity: None offered
Florida - Sheraton Lake Buena Vista - Fee: $19.00 daily (tax not included); Replacement Amenity: Fee waived for Platinum guests
Georgia - The Westin Savannah Harbor Golf Resort & Spa: $22.47 (tax included); Replacement Amenity: None offered
Hawaii - Sheraton Kauai Resort - $31.25 daily (tax included); Replacement Amenity: Free valet parking
Hawaii - Sheraton Princess Kaiulani - $26.18 daily (tax included); Replacement Amenity: None offered
Hawaii - Moana Surfrider, A Westin Resort & Spa, Waikiki Beach - $31.41 daily (tax included); Replacement Amenity: 250 Starpoints
Hawaii - Sheraton Waikiki, Waikiki Beach - $31.41 daily (tax included); Replacement Amenity: 250 Starpoints per night
Nevada - SLS Las Vegas - $30.00 daily (plus $3.60 tax); Replacement Amenity: Two free drink tickets
Nevada - W Las Vegas - $32.00 daily (tax not included); Replacement Amenity: Two free drink tickets
New Mexico - La Posada de Santa Fe - $30.00 daily (tax not included); Replacement Amenity: None offered

No Longer Charging a Resort Fee
North America
United States
Hawaii - The Royal Hawaiian, a Luxury Collection Resort, Waikiki - Previously, $36.65 (tax included); Replacement Amenity: None offered. As confirmed on January 31, 2016 (online and in person), the Royal Hawaiian no longer has a resort fee. This is applicable to all guests.
Print Wikipost

Resort Fees : How are benefits that are already free handled at SPG properties ?

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2016, 12:03 am
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

The wiki is incorrect for LM Delfina Santa Monica; they acted like they never heard of an alternative amenity.
Old May 2, 2016, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by jpdx
The wiki is incorrect for LM Delfina Santa Monica; they acted like they never heard of an alternative amenity.
Push back on it at get the GM involved - I did and they said "oh yeah, you get two free drinks at the bar". This was just a couple months ago.
Old May 31, 2016, 2:34 pm

Stayed for five nights at the Sheraton Maui, the front desk staff had never heard of an alternative amenity. After filing a ticket with corporate CS, the front office followed up and said that the alternative amenity is 250 pts/night and that they manually requested a credit. The manually requested credit and lack of training makes me think that you won't get it unless you file a ticket.
Old Jun 3, 2016, 10:11 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Plat Pro, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic 3, Amtrak Select
At the Westin Grand Cayman Islands, high speed internet is listed as an amenity.

Resort fee is $45/day and platinums receive coupons worth CI $8 for every night they are staying, which are redeemable at any of the restaurants or bars on the property.
Old Jun 15, 2016, 8:27 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Amb, Bonvoy Plat (+LTP), VS Silver
Anyone had the 250 points/day post from the Sheraton Waikiki recently? If so, how long after check-out did they post?

Edit - just read the wiki and see that it can take 2 weeks...
Old Jul 2, 2016, 12:23 pm

Programs: United 1k, SPG Plat & Ambassador, ClubCarlson Concierge
Any updates from the Equinox in Manchester VT?
Old Jul 16, 2016, 11:56 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold
Paying Resort Fee For Internet But Internet Is Supposed To Be Free

I really don't understand, why some locations are charging a resort fee for the internet, but as someone who books through the SPG site, or Gold or higher we are supposed to get internet for free. So as I see it, were getting screwed by booking directly or being a gold member since were being forced to pay the resort fee anyways. Anyone else see the problem here?
Old Jul 17, 2016, 12:06 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
"Resort fee" = license to sodomize

Basically resort fees enable false advertising and should be made illegal unless they are 100% optional.

Write your congressmen; it's the only way to change this.
Old Jul 17, 2016, 12:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
The resort fee usually is alleged to cover a number of things. You'll get nowhere trying to deconstruct it.
Old Jul 17, 2016, 1:00 am

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
The resort fee usually is alleged to cover a number of things. You'll get nowhere trying to deconstruct it.
Yup, but they are bundling internet in there for EVERYONE, when free internet is supposed to be a perk of booking directly and elites. What we really need is a extra perk for elites and people who booked directly who are getting screwed. I'll even settle for a free drink a day as a rebate.
Old Jul 17, 2016, 3:49 am

If I book via SPG website, I'm supposed to get internet for free so SPG or whoever does not have to pay a commission to the third party booking service. Also being a Gold member, free internet is one of the options as a welcome gift. What alternative do we get for booking via SPG and then getting charged a resort fee for internet AND water which is already listed as a member benefit.
Old Jul 17, 2016, 7:57 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by seat38a
Paying Resort Fee For Internet But Internet Is Supposed To Be Free
We already had a thread discussing how 'resort fee' properties were handling the free internet when it was just a benefit for Plats, and I've added your question to that thread. Now that internet is also free when you book on the spg site too, I've retitled the thread to reflect the change in scope, which is now :

"What happens when a property charges you a resort fee that includes stuff you get free as a benefit anyway ?".

/mod
Old Jul 17, 2016, 9:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Updated the Sheraton Kaua'i Resort - the alternative amenity is free valet parking, which as it turned out, is not a bad option, although the remaining features of the resort fee are essentially useless.
Old Aug 21, 2016, 3:59 pm

Westin Fort Lauderdale beach resort
No alternative offered even when escalated to front desk manager. Resort fee supposedly includes newspaper - none arrived today. Apparently this isn't offered on Sundays, even though the full fee is charged on Sundays

Eventually front desk agreed to remove the fee entirely; so a satisfactory resolution for me, but not for the next Plat staying here.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 1:49 pm

Programs: AA CK / Marriott Worthless Ambassador
Parker Palm Springs

They never heard of it. Thought I was crazy. Insisted the amenity is 500 points. No education here.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.