Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Resort Fees : How are benefits that are already free handled at SPG properties ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 6, 2014, 7:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TravelinSperry
If no alternative amenity was offered by the FrontDesk for Platinum Members, please use the following template when writing in to Customer Service:

I recently stayed at XX.

The following problem occurred:

Resort fee charged by this property covered amenities already included in my Platinum status (free Internet). The property did not offer alternative amenities. Please advise.

Kind regards

If the Customer Care officer have no clue about this, please advise them to:

Access their intranet site and reference a document there entitled "Resorts: Resort Charge Alternate Replacement Item for Platinum/VIP Members".

They will find this document in the SPG Learning Center under the Resorts/Hawaii section. If after reading this document, the customer care person has difficulty filing a formal complaint on your behalf, please ask to speak to their supervisor.

North America

United States
California - Le Meridien Delfina Santa Monica - Fee: $18.00 daily; Replacement Amenity: Full breakfast
California - Westin Mission Hills & Resort - Fee $35 daily; Replacement Amenity: $5 credit off fee.
Florida - The Westin Cape Coral Resort at Marina Village - Fee: $15.00 daily (tax not included); Replacement Amenity: None offered
Florida - Sheraton Lake Buena Vista - Fee: $19.00 daily (tax not included); Replacement Amenity: Fee waived for Platinum guests
Georgia - The Westin Savannah Harbor Golf Resort & Spa: $22.47 (tax included); Replacement Amenity: None offered
Hawaii - Sheraton Kauai Resort - $31.25 daily (tax included); Replacement Amenity: Free valet parking
Hawaii - Sheraton Princess Kaiulani - $26.18 daily (tax included); Replacement Amenity: None offered
Hawaii - Moana Surfrider, A Westin Resort & Spa, Waikiki Beach - $31.41 daily (tax included); Replacement Amenity: 250 Starpoints
Hawaii - Sheraton Waikiki, Waikiki Beach - $31.41 daily (tax included); Replacement Amenity: 250 Starpoints per night
Nevada - SLS Las Vegas - $30.00 daily (plus $3.60 tax); Replacement Amenity: Two free drink tickets
Nevada - W Las Vegas - $32.00 daily (tax not included); Replacement Amenity: Two free drink tickets
New Mexico - La Posada de Santa Fe - $30.00 daily (tax not included); Replacement Amenity: None offered

No Longer Charging a Resort Fee
North America
United States
Hawaii - The Royal Hawaiian, a Luxury Collection Resort, Waikiki - Previously, $36.65 (tax included); Replacement Amenity: None offered. As confirmed on January 31, 2016 (online and in person), the Royal Hawaiian no longer has a resort fee. This is applicable to all guests.
Print Wikipost

Resort Fees : How are benefits that are already free handled at SPG properties ?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2010, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A family member stayed on 9/25 (or 26) at the Westin Monache Mammoth - usual $25 resort fee with no plat amenity alternative offered (plus a FD agent had absolutely no idea how to apply $25 cert he had from some previous promotion so that discount wasn't given either).
Is it worth emailing CS now of this is just a waste of time after the fact?
Old Oct 8, 2010, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker
I guess I have to respectfully disagree here. Yeah, I know...big surprise.

However, SPG is not able to force resorts to stop charging resort fees. SPG is a marketing program, not the brand or divisional authority for the resorts in question. They were more than happy to step in and work with those brand and divisional authorities to broker an alternative to Platinum members being charged for things they now get for free once they were made aware of the issue, but forcing resorts to waive resort charges altogether is something beyond their authority to make happen.
Not that it affects me personally as a lousy Preferred Plus member... but I do wonder how SPG is able to force properties to stop charging platinum members internet access fees (calling it a Platinum benefit), but not able to force properties to stop charging for internet access (and maybe a few other random "services") when it's labeled "resort fee".

Last edited by notquiteaff; Oct 8, 2010 at 3:56 pm Reason: Thanks, iPad, for "destroying" my post :)
Old Oct 8, 2010, 1:47 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: OneWorld Alliance

Programs: AA ExecPlat & 3MM; Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Not that it affects me personally as a lousy Preferred Plus member... but I do wonder how SPG is able to force properties to stop charging platinum members internet access fees (calling it a Platinum benefit), but not able to force properties to charge for internet access (and maybe a few other random "services") when it's labeled "resort fee".
One big difference (at least for me) is that the internet access fee (prior to the platinum benefit) was "voluntary" (I could choose not to use the internet and not pay the fee) the resort fee is mandatory (there is no way for me to decline the bundled services and avoid the fee).
Old Oct 8, 2010, 1:49 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium & Lifetime Platinum, United Platinum, Delta Silver
I emailed customer service and they simply advised that the Resort Fee is mandatory even for Plat guests and that they would forward my concerns to the hotel. Seems that they are also not aware of the new policy
Old Oct 8, 2010, 2:41 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
I'm sure none of us do, but since there was at least some kind of compromise that brought us this far, there must be some channel, official or otherwise.
Not for taking this any further. This is the compromise until brand and divisional authorities decide otherwise.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
Old Oct 8, 2010, 2:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker
This is the compromise until brand and divisional authorities decide otherwise.
Is there any direct line to these authorities that we can access to let them know our feelings? Or is Customer Care our only avenue?
Old Oct 8, 2010, 2:49 pm

Is there any direct line to these authorities that we can access to let them know our feelings? Or is Customer Care our only avenue?
They are already aware of yours, and others feelings. They have been aware for a very long time now and have not ended the practice. However, if you wish, you could write a snail mail letter to the corporate office and express your feelings and I'm sure that you will get a very courteous one-page reply in return.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]
Old Oct 8, 2010, 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by DCFlyer0306
I emailed customer service and they simply advised that the Resort Fee is mandatory even for Plat guests and that they would forward my concerns to the hotel. Seems that they are also not aware of the new policy
While there may be some internal work still to do as far as getting the word out, their job is to take your complaint and pass it along through the proper channels. It is not their job to decide what goes in the file and what does not and the person you emailed copied and pasted your complaint - verbatim - without any comments to the property, so - regardless of their personal understanding of the issue - they did their job exactly as they were supposed to do.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]
Old Oct 9, 2010, 3:45 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Bonvoy LT Titanium
Just got back from a week stay at the Moana Surfrider Westin in Honolulu, HI...resort fee was $20.94 per day which included internet and 2 bottles of water- duplicate of Platinum benefits. It also allowed unlimited in/out to self parking facilities which are usually $25/day...pretty that's all we got out of it, the parking..since as Platinum guests the water and internet are inclusive.
Old Oct 9, 2010, 3:46 am

Maybe I am missing something but could the Lurker explain as to why Starwood does not seem to be able to set and subsequently enforce the terms and conditions for their hotels which operate under the Starwood banner (e.g. a substitute amenity). Hilton, Marriott, Hyatt etc don't seem to have this issue of inconsistency across a brand (e.g. Westin, Sheraton, etc) whereas the most consistent thing about a Starwood hotel, and especially in North America, now appears to be the inconsistency of hotel quality, benefits, how a gold, plat etc is treated and so on. When I go to a MacDonalds I know exactly what the hamburger will taste like, regardless of where I am in the world - I dont like surprises... maybe Starwood should start operating along these same premises.
Old Oct 9, 2010, 6:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAPlat; *Gold; Hyatt Diam; SPG Plat; PWP goddess
You can't just assume that someone will waltz along and find your random post. Even the lurkers can't be everywhere. Just because you know which bathroom Starwood's president uses doesn't mean writing a message on the wall there will be read. If you want someone to listen to you, be proactive. Posting here instead of sending a PM or email is pure laziness and an indication that you don't care and just want to rant in public.

You can accept the status quo and rant about it, or you can take action to change it.
Plus1!^

It's clear that there is a difference between Starwood corporate & SPG corporate -- as highlighted by William. It's great that he will pass along incidents (to SPG corporate) that are have been proactively reported to Starwood corporate!^
Old Oct 9, 2010, 8:52 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by vg247
Just got back from a week stay at the Moana Surfrider Westin in Honolulu, HI...resort fee was $20.94 per day which included internet and 2 bottles of water- duplicate of Platinum benefits. It also allowed unlimited in/out to self parking facilities which are usually $25/day...pretty that's all we got out of it, the parking..since as Platinum guests the water and internet are inclusive.
Did you just not want to ask about substitute amenities or did you not know that you should have received/were entitled to substitute amenities?
Old Oct 9, 2010, 12:04 pm

Programs: Military Space-A, UA Plat, AS MVP Gold 75K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, HHonors Gold
I will be staying here (for a 4-day stay) in about 10 days -- Lurker, (or anyone else with an opinion -- think we'll find any here on FT?) do you recommend that I contact the property in advance to ensure that something alternative is planned for Platinums? If so, what should I say and what method of contact is best?
Originally Posted by azepine00
A family member stayed on 9/25 (or 26) at the Westin Monache Mammoth - usual $25 resort fee with no plat amenity alternative offered (plus a FD agent had absolutely no idea how to apply $25 cert he had from some previous promotion so that discount wasn't given either).
Is it worth emailing CS now of this is just a waste of time after the fact?
Old Oct 10, 2010, 2:42 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Bonvoy LT Titanium
Originally Posted by JFKSFOLAX_friend
Did you just not want to ask about substitute amenities or did you not know that you should have received/were entitled to substitute amenities?
I didn't know about being entitled to receive the substitute aminities...the hotel did not provide any leigh greeting or drinks as read on their forum here which is provided to platinum guests. There was no platinum guest check in area as well. There also seemed to be some disconnect with the hotel staff as whether we were platinum guests or not, everyone had to pay the resort fee which clearly stated water bottles each day were included..some housekeeping staff didn't even have a clue some days and we had to ask for the water..the free internet didnt even work but since I had a wireless card didnt deal with calling front desk to fix the issue..
Old Oct 10, 2010, 2:12 pm

I am currently at the Moana Surfrider and upon check-in did mention the substitute amenity for Platinum members. The front desk agent went to talk to a manager at the back and upon his return mentioned that the hotel has not decided what the substitute amenity will be. So pretty much, all I would receive this stay was what was already included in the resort charge. Since, for this stay, I am not using any of the amenities in the resort charge, it's pretty much an additional daily tax of $20.94 for me. Same as vg247, no leigh greetings or drinks at check-in.

My friend who is staying at the Sheraton Waikiki was told the same thing. No substitute PLAT amenity as management hasn't decided what to do. He asked about waiving the $15 valet parking charge but no luck. Looks like no substitute amenities will not be provided until later this month or until November.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.