Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Two exciting new benefits added to the SPGŪ Credit Card from American Express (U. S.)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Two exciting new benefits added to the SPGŪ Credit Card from American Express (U. S.)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2010, 3:48 pm

Programs: Chase Million Miler, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Platinum
Count me in with the camp that says, "If the extra free night mimics the Z3R code, then count me out." Maybe it's just me, but the times I've tried to look for qualifying rates, I can't find any.

OTOH, if this is "buy 2 standard room nights at the lowest published rate, get the third one free" well, then, I'd actually be happy.
Old Jul 30, 2010, 4:16 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by DHAST
Count me in with the camp that says, "If the extra free night mimics the Z3R code, then count me out." Maybe it's just me, but the times I've tried to look for qualifying rates, I can't find any.

OTOH, if this is "buy 2 standard room nights at the lowest published rate, get the third one free" well, then, I'd actually be happy.
This is what will determine whether this is a benefit or a sham to try to justify a 44% increase in the annual fee.
Old Jul 30, 2010, 5:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond
While I appreciate that the stated new benefits of the card may be appealing to some customers, they are of no interest to me personally. Over the past year or so, I have already deemphasized my use of the SPG Amex card in favor of my Schwab Visa card.

Whereas I value SPG points as much as any other FTer, I also value the two percent cash back rebate afforded to me by that card. As an added bonus, my preferred card is also unencumbered by the extraneous foreign currency conversion fees associated with Amex.

These days, I have only been using my SPG Amex for domestic SPG hotel stays and nothing else. I have been fortunate that my annual fee has been waived for the last couple of years. That being said, I will under no circumstances pay an annual fee to use this card and will cancel it with no regrets once the annual charge shows up on my renewal date.

The bottom line is that I still have choices amongst credit cards and the SPG Amex will no longer work for me when considering its annual fee and my usage pattern.
Old Jul 30, 2010, 5:53 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Just got the notice in the mail and it is basically the same as the current Z3H/Z3R promo. Only valid for arrivals Thurs-Sat with the first two nights at the unrestricted rate. The only thing that changed is the code which is now ZHA, ZRA.
Old Jul 30, 2010, 5:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 2MM, SPG Platinum, Hilton Diamond
AMEX SPG T&C just arrived in the snail mail.

Offer valid at participating Sheraton Hotels and Resorts.

Offer is valid for reservations booked and completed by December 31, 2011.

Offer is only valid for a three-night minimum length of stay.

Only available for arrivals at Hotels on Thursday-Saturday using Promo Code ZHA.

At Resorts all days of arrival are available using Promo Code ZRA.

For every two nights paid receive one night free.

Advance reservations are required.

Promotion code ZHA or ZRA must be mentioned when making a reservation through the Customer Call Centers.

The complimentary third night must be used in conjunction with a full paid two night stay. There are no credits for any unused nights if the guest checks out early.

These offers are based on Starwood's best available unrestricted retail rates.

Advance purchase required.

Credit card will be charged at time of booking. Reservations cannot be changed, are pre-paid and non-refundable. If cancellation takes place, guests forfeit total room charge plus tax.

Rates are per room, per night, based on single/double occupancy and availability at time of reservation and do not include additional per room, per night charges that may be imposed or state/local taxes.

A limited number of rooms may be available at these rates. Blackout dates and other restrictions apply. Offer not applicable to groups. Not to be combined with other offers or promotions and subject to change.

Not responsible for omissions or typographical errors.

The bookies in Reno are giving 3-to-2 odds that the AAA rate will be a better deal.
Old Jul 30, 2010, 6:09 pm

Programs: FPC Plat, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, PC Plt Amb
Well, this being the case, it's really no benefit at all then. I'd have much preferred if Amex came right out and raised the fees, without pretending we're getting some benefits out of it. I am simple-minded, but not THAT simple-minded.
Old Jul 30, 2010, 6:17 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by BL1KITW
AMEX SPG T&C just arrived in the snail mail.
Yyyyaaaaa. 'Exciting' is exactly the word I would use to describe these benefits.
Old Jul 30, 2010, 7:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by BL1KITW
Advance purchase required.

Credit card will be charged at time of booking. Reservations cannot be changed, are pre-paid and non-refundable. If cancellation takes place, guests forfeit total room charge plus tax.
That kills the 3-for-2 for this Plat.

I like mahasamatman's 'as useless as the SPG50.' That defines worthless loyalty program perks for me.
Old Jul 30, 2010, 7:30 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG PLT, Hyatt Diamond
My husband and I will probably be canceling as well. Particularly once Hyatt comes out with a card. How hard would it have been to come up with some real benefit to offer? At least credit some stays as well as nights. Or, as someone mentioned, just offer nothing and refrain from insulting us.

If it weren't so annoying it would actually be embarrassing. Offering these worthless new "benefits" and sending someone out to present them to us as "exciting", as though this is our first day at this game and we're dim-witted enough to fall for it. I suppose that it is "exciting" in the sense that the result has been to "excite" us. To quote Webster.com: "to call to activity. to rouse an emotional response."
Old Jul 30, 2010, 7:37 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Enhancements that would be nice would be to make the SPG Amex a true travel card and provide double SPG points for car rental and airline charges. That would be worth the extra $20.
Old Jul 30, 2010, 8:23 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT, SPG Gold
Gotta love how the marketing gurus all sell it so well these days.

On October 14, 2010, the Starwood Preferred GuestŪ Credit Card from American Express gets even more rewarding with two new benefits. lol

While I too would love to have seen more benefits (for me at least) for the extra $20 a year, the card is still better than most at the same price point. At $30 and $45 it was a terrific value...and as someone who puts a decent bit on the card each year I'll still come out well ahead even at the new rate.
Old Jul 30, 2010, 8:23 pm

Programs: SPG Lifetime Plat, AA Gold, UA Gold, DL Silver, HH Gold, Vail Epic
I won't miss the SPG50. I've only used one once, and it was barely a benefit to me. I can still buy one for 1K Starpoints if I find the need for one. IMO, the "free" SPG50 from Amex was worth nothing more than 1K Starpoints with an expiration date. I'd rather they had just given me 1K Starpoints to spend as I saw fit.

Historically, I almost always qualify on stays before I reach the threshold on nights, so the bonus night credits are not a benefit to me. This will just increase the number of Platinum members, and down the road that could lead to an increase in the number of stays/nights required to requalify.

I'll probably keep my SPG Amex even with yet another fee increase, but I'm certain that my wife will cancel hers.

I really don't understand the point of the new ZHA and ZRA codes unless there's something different from what is already available with the Z3H and Z3R promo codes. And why only for Sheratons? Is something wrong with including the 500+ SPG properties which are NOT Sheratons?

Starwood Lurkers,
Is there going to be more inventory available with ZHA/ZRA than is currently offered with Z3H/Z3R? Or is there some notable difference that you are aware of?

Originally Posted by 3544quebec
The Z3H rate requires a Fri or Sat arrival so if this new benefit doesn't have this same restriction and books at the same rate as the Z3H rate then it is indeed a worthwhile benefit.
That might be true at the particular hotels you book, but officially, the T&Cs for Z3H are for Thurs - Sat arrivals -- the same as for the new ZHA promo code.

Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker
Cardmembers will continue to enjoy access to best-in-class benefits such as earning at least 4 Starpoints per dollar at participating hotels and resorts, and the ability to redeem Starpoints for stays at more than 940 participating hotels and resorts in more than 93 countries and for flights on more than 350 airlines -- both with no blackout dates. Visit SPG.com to book reservations or redeem Starpoints.
The rest of my comments here are just as a point of amusement and are not intended to be a response to Starwood Lurker's own words...

In the letter that came to me today, it says, "Redeem Starpoints for luxurious travel with no restrictions at over 940 distinctively designed Starwood properties and for hundreds of flights on SPGflights.com.

"No restrictions"? None whatsoever? Does this mean that SPG Amex cardholders will now get all resort fees waived on award redemptions? I loved the "no blackout dates" policy, but the "no restrictions" policy is a HUGE improvement that I never expected!

I love how they were able to quantify the number of flights! "Hundreds"?
Old Jul 30, 2010, 8:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by sc flier
This will just increase the number of Platinum members
I can't believe there are that many 45-night Golds. If someone is one, then they don't know the meaning or value of status anyway.

Originally Posted by sc flier
Does this mean that SPG Amex cardholders will now get all resort fees waived on award redemptions?
A resort fee is in no way a "restriction".
Old Jul 30, 2010, 8:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott/Lifetime Titanium Hyatt/Explorist, Hilton/Silver, IHG Spire,UA Gold
Originally Posted by BlissWorld
If it's the same as the current Z3H requiring you to book a special 2 night rate in order to get the 3rd off, then this isn't really a benefit whatsoever.
I'm guessing this is exactly what it's going to be...

Originally Posted by BlissWorld
Evidently, SPG is aligning themselves with Delta's best-in-class benefits!! Well, an annual fee increase right off the bet. It sure seems like Delta's strategy!

SPG is getting Stingier by the minute. Seriously, did they recently hire somebody from SkyPesos to run Starwood Preferred Guest?
SkyPesos...LOL!!!^
Old Jul 30, 2010, 8:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott/Lifetime Titanium Hyatt/Explorist, Hilton/Silver, IHG Spire,UA Gold
I think Lurker should have placed a bet on how quickly the first call/recognition of BS came in on these "new benefits"!
I'm guessing William was cringing as he typed it!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.