Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Two exciting new benefits added to the SPGŪ Credit Card from American Express (U. S.)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Two exciting new benefits added to the SPGŪ Credit Card from American Express (U. S.)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2010, 12:57 pm
Company Representative - Starwood
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by krazieman
I hope we get stay credits instead of night credits. I always qualify thru stays, not nights since my trips are usually 1 night, deposition, go home.
It will be night credits, not stay credits.

BTW.. I have 2 SPG AMEX business cards, would that still qualify?
I won't have an answer to this until next week.

Best regards,

William
Old Jul 30, 2010, 1:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
To me, these new "benefits" are just as useless as the SPG50. So it's just a fee hike with no additional benefits. But seeing fees go up on credit cards is certainly nothing new, and it's the basic cost/benefit calculation that will determine what happens. I still think the Starpoint earning is still worth it (and is the only reason I got the card in the first place), though probably just for me - we'll definitely cancel + 1's card when it comes up for renewal.
Old Jul 30, 2010, 1:08 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond, BW Diamond Select
Oh BOO!! I finally got the SPG Amex card and now they increase the annual fee on me?!?! UGH!!!!! Not happy!!!!! I'm going to see how this card turns out for me this year before I decide to keep it or not.
Old Jul 30, 2010, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
That should read "Amex is getting stingier by the minute".
No. SPG is, and we all know that. From upgrades, to annual Platinum "gift", to the promos, and then their CC. Truly, best-in-class!!

I know you came in to the game a little later, but trust me when I say SPG used to be far more generous.
Old Jul 30, 2010, 1:28 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by BlissWorld
I know you came in to the game a little later, but trust me when I say SPG used to be far more generous.
Fine, but in this case it's the partner, not SPG. Amex has total control of the CC. SPG has none (except how much they charge Amex for the points).
Old Jul 30, 2010, 1:38 pm

Programs: Delta, AA, BA, United, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond, SPG Marriott Gold, Sixt Platinum
$30 K spend

Originally Posted by Okto
If that's the case, then it's very deceitful and there's only one new "benefit" - achieving elite status a little faster. In my particular situation, I get zero new benefits because I achieve Gold through $30K spend, but I never rack up enough nights/stays for Plat.

The one thing I do get is the 44% increase in annual fees
Will $30,000 spend still earn Gold status?
Old Jul 30, 2010, 1:39 pm
Company Representative - Starwood
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by beachmiles
Will $30,000 spend still earn Gold status?
Yes.

Best regards,

William
Old Jul 30, 2010, 2:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP/LT Plat, SPG Plat/LT Plat, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, MR Silver
If you have both SPG Personal and Business cards, will you get 10 nights total credit or still only 5?
Old Jul 30, 2010, 2:21 pm

Originally Posted by ctownflyer
Neither benefit is exciting, and the $65 annual fee (over double what it was just a couple years ago) is
agreed.
Old Jul 30, 2010, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
William, -- preferring to see the glass as half full....

For me, the five nights' credit works out perfectly. I only just barely qualified for PLT for the first time last year using the multipliers at the end of the year, and could be in the same boat this year. After next week's trip, which could be my last for 2010, I'll be exactly six nights short of requalifying, so this is great for me.

As far as the 3 for 2 at participating Sheratons, the value determinative factors will obviously be which properties participate and what rate is applied to the two paid nights.

With regard to the fee increase, I don't care about a fee increase of just under US 39Ē per week.

Although promotions and specials are always attractive to some people but not others, I give Starwood credit for mixing things up and trying new ideas. Not all will be successful, but I've always believed that it's good to try them.

Thanks.
Old Jul 30, 2010, 3:08 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Bonvoy Plat, HHonors Diamond, DL Gold
William,
Thank You for apprising the FT Community of changes to the American Express Starwood card. It is better learning about the changes here sooner than reading the small print in changes to the terms and conditions, which AMEX might mail to card members some day.

With the increase in the annual fee to $65, it is a bit disappointing that there were not more benefit enhancements. A few months ago, I recall there being surveys of American Express Card members as to which benefits were preferred most. After enough research, I thought there would be a better result.

American Express currently offers a Hilton HHonors Surpass card, which has nice enhancements over the standard American Express Hilton card. For a higher annual membership fee, benefits such a Priority Pass membership for access to airport lounges is included. It would have been nice that if the Starwood card would have added features like that if the annual fee were to be increased.
Old Jul 30, 2010, 3:09 pm

I'm not complaining, as I've never considered getting yet another credit card. But I will mention that if this gave you 2 or more stay credits, I would get an SPG Amex. Maybe consider that for a future promotion!
Old Jul 30, 2010, 3:29 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT, Marriott LT PLT
4 thumbs down! I'm sure that for a select few on this forum, the 2 benefits are useful...but the rest of us will owe an add'l $24/yr for very little return. I'll be canceling at least one of my accounts b/c of this.
Old Jul 30, 2010, 3:41 pm

Programs: FPC Plat, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, PC Plt Amb
Wow. Percentage-wise a pretty hefty fee increase in return for.... Definitely not feeling any love at the moment.
Old Jul 30, 2010, 3:43 pm

Originally Posted by boxedlunch
the rest of us will owe an add'l $24/yr for very little return.
$65 - $45 = $20.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.