Wiki Posts
Search

Hotel TV Remote Controls - All Horrible

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2011, 8:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: MR LT Titanium, SPG LT Plat & Plat 100, SWA A+ & CP
Hotel TV Remote Controls - All Horrible

Is it me or does nearly EVERY hotel TV remote control either have nearly dead batteries or works so slowly that you feel like throwing it out the window?

Someone do something!
Old Aug 14, 2011, 10:36 pm
Used to be bulldoggolfer05

Programs: HGP DMD, HHonors DMD, SPG PLT, MR PLT
The slowness of the hotel remote is often times the result of the system the hotel is using to provide television service, and not the television/remote itself. Next time you're in a hotel with a slow remote, look at the back of the television. Chances are there is a box connected to the back with a phone line plugging into it. This is the culprit for the slow response time as the remote sends the signal to the television, which must then relay the command to the system box, which then deciphers the command, performs the action, and relays it back to the television. If you unplug that cord, it will often times render much of the remote functions useless, but will allow you to utilize the televisions built in controls to change menu settings like aspect ratio.
Old Aug 15, 2011, 12:17 am

I've seen signs up in rooms asking to allow up to 11 seconds for the TV to turn on after you've hit the power button.
Old Aug 15, 2011, 3:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by Astrophsx
I've seen signs up in rooms asking to allow up to 11 seconds for the TV to turn on after you've hit the power button.
Old Aug 15, 2011, 8:11 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Astrophsx
In the day and age of plasma, LCD, and LED TVs, this is not uncommon. None of my TVs turn on instantly these days (three large Samsung LCD or LED and one large Sony LCD) and take approximately 3-8 seconds to power on each. There's some time related to the LodgeNet connection, of course.

LodgeNet is connected via coax not telephone line. There is a telephone line, but it is used for processing VOD and other services unrelated to standard channels. I have not had any recent stays where the coax connectors were unprotected (meaning you cannot unscrew/unplug them). I have had TVs where I could bypass the LodgeNet connection by unplugging the power to it (and then plugging the TV power to a wall outlet), but I'm not entirely sure if this is only for alternate inputs (for my iPad, for example) or if cable would still work.
Old Aug 15, 2011, 9:56 am
Used to be bulldoggolfer05

Programs: HGP DMD, HHonors DMD, SPG PLT, MR PLT
Originally Posted by jibi
LodgeNet is connected via coax not telephone line. There is a telephone line, but it is used for processing VOD and other services unrelated to standard channels. I have not had any recent stays where the coax connectors were unprotected (meaning you cannot unscrew/unplug them).
And this is not what I said , I simply said look for the box with the telephone line sticking out of it. The box itself is the culprit for the slow response times. When I mentioned unplugging the telephone line, I mentioned this for purposes of accessing the television's built in menu functions (via the menu button on the television itself), not for correcting response times.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.