Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

"Best available rate" for z3r purposes include prepaid rates?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2010, 12:26 am
Original Poster

I'm trying to book a room in Chiang Mai Meridien. They have a prepaid rate of 2,400 baht, I'm trying to book it for three nights using the z3r rate which they claim is best available rate.. but that brings up the price on the first two nights to 3,200, is that the way it works?

Thanks
Old Apr 19, 2010, 1:02 am

Programs: QF,VS,SQ,SPG,IC
Best Available Rate is not necessarily the cheapest rate, it is generally the best unrestricted (refundable) retail rate. Some hotels will actually show rates described as "Best Available Rate" but will also show cheaper non-refundable rates.

So you pay only 2 nights of the 3 based on BAR but the rate becomes non-refundable. Hope this makes sense.

So yes, this is the way it works, or always has for me.
Old Apr 19, 2010, 6:41 am

Programs: Affiliated with all, participate in some
Starwood's z3r rate is often the lowest available rate, but generally is not 33% off the lowest rate. As you have seen the third night free rate is 6,400 baht for three nights, while the lowest available rate may be 7,200 baht. Your actual savings is only about 11% off the otherwise lowest rate for three nights rather than a free night using the lowest rate.

Some hotels have a better discount than others so it is always good to check. Also take a look at special offers on the hotel's own website pages. There are sometimes even better discount rates in the special offers.
Old Apr 19, 2010, 9:13 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the reply... Funny thing is that when I put in the z3r the king bed price goes up and I can only book two doubles for 3200 otherwise king costs more..

Is it worth saving 30 dollars on the reservation and going with this, considering I'm plat and it shouldn't matter, or is it better playing safe and going for the regular rate of 2400 per night?

Also using coupons am I less likely to being upgraded or is that irrelevant?

Thanks

(p.s. I notice dates closer to now are cheaper, is it normally the case the prices go down closer to arrival date?)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.