Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Charged in US Dollars instead of local currency

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Charged in US Dollars instead of local currency

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2010, 4:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
I've had several hotels in EU ask, some more insinuated they were going to charge in USD unless I said otherwise, in each case I've never had a hard time getting them to charge in local currency. If they tried to do so against my wishes they'd end up not enjoying the hoops and cost I'd make them go through to get anything at all.
Old Apr 4, 2010, 4:47 pm

If you pay by Amex, then the chances of this happening are extremely low (but not impossible if the merchant for example is able to get a merchant account that charges in $US)
Old Apr 4, 2010, 5:09 pm

Programs: Free Agent
The Sheraton Saigon did this to me. I initially fought it until I noticed that the folio stated a conversion rate of 19,100 Dong to 1 USD, which was actually the prevailing exchange rate. So I shrugged and signed my AmEx slip.
Old Apr 4, 2010, 6:38 pm

Programs: SPG Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Ilove2fly
I am interested in your experience in having your credit card billed in US dollar instead of local currency. I am seeing this in more frequency. I found it a disturbing trend because the conversion rate by the local bank is really bad; usually equivalent to 3% conversion fee. On top of that credit card issuing company tacks on their own ForEx fees.
What is your experience? Should we as travelers tolerate this type of extra fees tacked on by foreign businesses. I don't what the SPG hotel gain by charging me in US dollars. I do know that it is the default way of settling the account by many hotels and restaurants. During my recent trip, I made the businesses cancel the charge and re-do the charge in local currency.
This is a scam. It is called Dynamic Currency Conversion.
Old Apr 4, 2010, 10:53 pm

Programs: spg-plat, aa-1mm and exp,hh-Diamond,hyatt-gld
credit card an us dollars

help me out-

thought bill submitted in foreign currency- convedrted at the "the then" ex change rate and processed on your US bill in dollars!
lately my hotel bill in brazil states on bill that all charges will be processed in US dollars!!

atty- what are your options if front desk refuses to allow your "note"?
Old Apr 4, 2010, 10:55 pm

Programs: SPG Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by lestismore
help me out-
thought bill submitted in foreign currency- convedrted at the "the then" ex change rate and processed on your US bill in dollars!
lately my hotel bill in brazil states on bill that all charges will be processed in US dollars!!
I'm not really sure what you are saying here.
Old Apr 4, 2010, 11:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Originally Posted by lestismore
How will they prevent me from making my note? Beat me up?
Old Apr 4, 2010, 11:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Isn't that the way of most legal terms?
This is one of the reasons I teach my associates that it is - in particular in international business - to make use of plain language and avoid legal language which can easisly become ambiguos (sometimes even between native English/American/Canadian/Australian speakers)
Old Apr 5, 2010, 1:03 am

Programs: QF,VS,SQ,SPG,IC
Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer
How will they prevent me from making my note? Beat me up?
hmmmm..I wonder how many points a black eye is worth.
Old Apr 6, 2010, 6:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM, AA almost MM
Good news

Just want to share my good news. After fighting this for a week, the hotel agreed to refund $15.00 to my credit card. The over charge actually occurred in October 2009. I called SPG customer service. The agent offered to contact the hotel for me but never did. With the holidays, work, and travel, I forgot about it until late March and called SPG again. This time the agent told me that previous agent did nothing and the hotel was never contacted. She started the process and contacted hotel.

According to the email from the hotel guest relations manager, I should get my $15 in 2-3 weeks!!! Here is a wish: you who have been over charged by hotel would flight to get your money back. Hopefully, hotels and foreign businesses would stop such a deceptive practice.
Old Apr 6, 2010, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
recently lost out on about $30 due to the conversion....never realised it at checkout but saw it when i saw my credit card statement....lesson for the future....
Old Apr 21, 2010, 8:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM, AA almost MM
Update

Although the hotel agreed to refund the $15. They did not. I won't bore you with the long story. I called SPG today. SPG told me to stop dealing with the hotel and will mail a check to me directly.

Good job SPG! I will report back when I have the check in my hands.

For those of you who have been cheated by the foreign SPG properties, please do take up the issue with SPG. It is possible that SPG will get tired of dealing with us and put some pressure on the foreign properties to stop this scam.
Old Apr 21, 2010, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by superflush
This is a scam. It is called Dynamic Currency Conversion.
+1
It is a deceptive practice which takes advantage of the customer.
Old Apr 21, 2010, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
I had only had this pulled on me a couple of time successfully. Once at the BKk Conrad, which they stayed they HAD to charge me in USD, the other at a restaurant in London, which they said they couldn't change since it had been printed already.

Never again, though. I have yet to see a rate that was good. It's always 2-4% hit, plus whatever forex fee your card charges.

Every hotel I've gone to in Bangkok this month, has asked what I want to pay in. Every time, I tell them Thai baht.
Old Apr 21, 2010, 4:41 pm

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
If you are charged in local currency then obviously the starpoints are calculated off US dollars. Thus I'm curious if the rate to convert to dollars in order to sum up starpoints is at the hotels rate.

Anyone know the answer to this as it could be a way to cheat one out of 5-10% of starpoints earned.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.