Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Miami: where should I stay? [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Miami: where should I stay? [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2009, 2:10 pm
Original Poster

Arrow Miami: where should I stay? [Master Thread]

I'm stuck choosing between the Meridien Sunny Isles or the Diplomat Resort/Spa not having stayed at either hotel. Any recommendations on which is better/nicer?
Old Jan 5, 2009, 4:00 pm

Programs: WOH (G)lobotimized, SPG Tarnished Gold
The Diplomat ^
Old Jan 5, 2009, 4:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by Somewhere Over the Atlantic
The Diplomat ^
I second this vote.
Old Jan 5, 2009, 5:00 pm
Original Poster

Thank you. Great advice!
Old Jan 5, 2009, 11:00 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Onepass, Lifemiles, SPG, Marriott. LANPASS s*cks.
Originally Posted by Somewhere Over the Atlantic
The Diplomat ^
+1
Old Jan 5, 2009, 11:06 pm

Now a little more detail... When I got to LM Sunny Isles; I got upgraded to a one-bedroom suite with separate living-room a full kitchen and laundy inside the room.

And when I say full kitchen, think about a BIG tall two-door fridge, microwave oven, regular oven, dishwasher, etc.

The outdoor pool is a lot smaller than the diplomat and there are not resort services.

It really depends on what you are going to do there and who you are traveling with.

Want to give more info?
Old Jan 6, 2009, 12:03 am

Programs: SPG P/Hyatt D/AC G/HU G
I just backed from Sunny Isles yesterday. I was there for 2 nights. There is more like a apartment not a resort. They did upgrade my room to a one bedroom suite with a kitchen too. But I did not get much resort feeling... At least, it is not nice as other Le Meridien I stayed before.

About the beach, sunshine there was good. for the beach... the sands there are not that soft and many seaweeds on the beach...

Maybe you can try diplomat, I would try diplomat next time.

Last edited by ferragamo; Jan 6, 2009 at 12:11 am
Old Jan 6, 2009, 7:23 am
Suspended

Despite the wonderful advice given here....providing the OP wants to stay in or even near to Miami its all pretty much useless.

Neither the Sunny Isles property or the Diplomat is anywhere close to Miami ( can you say 25 miles?)

The Westin Colonnade in Coral Gables which is much better than the Sunny Isles hotel however probably fits the bill.

mike
Old Jan 6, 2009, 12:27 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Gold Elite
I also think that LM charges a resort fee - the Diplomat doesn't. As well, Diplomat offers cheaper self parking - I believe that LM is valet only.
Old Jan 6, 2009, 10:08 pm

Originally Posted by CarNut
I also think that LM charges a resort fee - the Diplomat doesn't. As well, Diplomat offers cheaper self parking - I believe that LM is valet only.
Diplomat does charge. Not sure about LM.
Old Jan 7, 2009, 10:08 am

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Gold Elite
Originally Posted by leandrorar
Diplomat does charge. Not sure about LM.
The Diplomat absolutely does NOT charge a resort fee. I was there from December 28 - January 4 and did not pay anything other than the room rate and taxes.
Old Jan 16, 2009, 7:40 pm

Originally Posted by CarNut
The Diplomat absolutely does NOT charge a resort fee. I was there from December 28 - January 4 and did not pay anything other than the room rate and taxes.
Right. My mistake. I just checked the Folio and there's no Resort charge.

(Now I'm less dissapointed that they charge so much to rent pool toys, cabanas, etc hehe )
Old Aug 1, 2009, 9:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP (2.5MM), Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium
Recs on where to stay in Miami?

With the low fares a while back I booked a labor day weekend trip to MIA from the 5th to 8th. Now I'm looking for a good place to stay. Open to most of the SPG properties.

I already tried to cash in my free weekend night for the W South Beach but it's all booked.

Where are the best places to stay? My main intent is to just take it all in, relax on the beach, enjoy some good cuban food, and do as little as possible.
Old Aug 2, 2009, 5:53 am
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
The American labor day is in September, correct?

There are only 3 SPG properties in Miami. Each of them has a Master Thread here so I suggest you have a look at them. Only the 4P and the W are near the beach. The W still has plenty of availability for your time frame. Even for points which are normally only displayed when there are still standard rooms left.

There are more SPG properties in the are when you head north towards Fort Lauderdale.
Old Aug 2, 2009, 6:01 am

Location: AA Lifetime PLT , BA Silver , BD RIP , HH Gold, SPG / Marriott PLT , EF Subscriber
If you have a Car look at The Westin Diplomat Hollywood Beach..not sure if its also accessable from MIA by Shared Shuttle a Cab woud be $70-$80 each way I Guess. Or maybe you could change your flights to FLL.

Last edited by UncleDude; Aug 2, 2009 at 1:58 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.