Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

SPG Eliminates Most Peak Season Award Pricing and Announces Hotel Categories for 2009

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SPG Eliminates Most Peak Season Award Pricing and Announces Hotel Categories for 2009

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2009, 2:42 pm
Company Representative - Starwood
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Exclamation SPG Eliminates Most Peak Season Award Pricing and Announces Hotel Categories for 2009

I’m very pleased to let you be the first to know that Starwood Preferred Guest is eliminating peak season awards for categories 5 – 7 for 2009 (except for 3 Luxury Collection resorts in Costa Smeralda, Italy). So, for all of 2009, you will be able to plan travel to your favorite category 5 – 7 hotel or resort for the same amount of Starpoints regardless of the season.

In addition, the legwork has just been completed to determine what categories participating properties will occupy this year. The category changes won’t take place until March 2nd, so to help you plan your travel, here’s a link to view the list:

http://www.spgpromos.com/categorychanges/index.cfm?

You’ll be very pleased to know that more hotels and resorts are moving down in category than up this year. That’s good news as, in select locations, you will need fewer Starpoints to redeem for a Free Night Award. Please note: Most hotels and resorts are remaining static, but if you are planning to redeem your Starpoints for a Free Night Award in 2009, and you notice on the list that your selected property is one of the few that is actually going up, you can make your reservation before the change is made. In addition, if you have an existing Free Night Award and your selected hotel is going down you can cancel and re-book on or after March 2nd.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
Old Feb 19, 2009, 2:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Upgrades (82)
1->2: 9
2->3: 27
2->4: 1
3->4: 22
4->6: 1
4->5: 14
5->6: 6
6->7: 2

Downgrades (156)
2->1: 11
3->2: 37
4->3: 46
4->2: 4
5->4: 41
6->5: 11
6->4: 1
7->6: 5

Overall
Category 1: +2
Category 2: +11
Category 3: +14
Category 4: 0
Category 5: -22
Category 6: -2
Category 7: -3

Last edited by soitgoes; Feb 19, 2009 at 5:56 pm Reason: can't count!
Old Feb 19, 2009, 2:59 pm

Programs: EX²-*wood platinum, EX-hyatt diamond, sixt platinum, hilton silver, leaders club, esselunga verde...
Talking The first known change...

William has forgotten something:

Featured property: Arion, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, Astir Palace, Athens | GREECE (category 5, down from category 6 as of March 2, 2009)

and the rest is on the list... ^
Old Feb 19, 2009, 3:02 pm

Programs: QF,VS,SQ,SPG,IC
Pleased to see The Four Points Darling Harbour going 4 to 3. It should not have been a 4 last year. Now fingers crossed is isn't leaving Starwood.
Old Feb 19, 2009, 3:10 pm

Programs: Starwood, AA
i'm surprised to see so many properties in Middle East going up in category. Dubai, seriously? it's becoming a ghost-town - how are the prices going UP?
Old Feb 19, 2009, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lerasp
i'm surprised to see so many properties in Middle East going up in category. Dubai, seriously? it's becoming a ghost-town - how are the prices going UP?
Average rates must have been higher in 2008 than in 2007.

A lot of the downturn occurred late in the year and may not show up in the 2008 figures.
Old Feb 19, 2009, 3:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by soitgoes
Upgrades (82)

Downgrades (115)
Actually, the number of hotels going down in category on March 2nd is 156.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]
Old Feb 19, 2009, 3:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Forstbetrieb
William has forgotten something:

Featured property: Arion, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, Astir Palace, Athens | GREECE (category 5, down from category 6 as of March 2, 2009)

and the rest is on the list... ^
They're there. Click on Category 6 (which they are currently), pick Europe as your search parameter and it notes they are going down to Category 5 from Category 6 on March 2nd.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]
Old Feb 19, 2009, 3:20 pm
Community Director Emerita

I'm doing a happy dance. LM Piccadilly moves down to category 5. And so does Parker Meridien in NYC. Westin Dublin moves down to category 4.

I really like how Starwood has presented this information - so clean and clear. And I really appreciate elimination of peak season in 2009.
Old Feb 19, 2009, 3:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker
Actually, the number of hotels going down in category on March 2nd is 156.
I blame Bill Gates. I had the numbers for each category change right, but the Windows calculator messed up.
Old Feb 19, 2009, 3:24 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
Thanks for the head's up.

This is very helpful news.
Old Feb 19, 2009, 3:24 pm

Programs: EX²-*wood platinum, EX-hyatt diamond, sixt platinum, hilton silver, leaders club, esselunga verde...
Wink

They're there. Click on Category 6 (which they are currently), pick Europe as your search parameter and it notes they are going down to Category 5 from Category 6 on March 2nd.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]
Yes I know, but I wanted to say that this was the first named hotel. Sorry it is a little bit late for me tonight and don't forget english is my fourth language...

BTW: in Italy more downs than ups, that makes me happy
Old Feb 19, 2009, 3:33 pm

Programs: SPG LT Plat, Hilton G,Priorty Club G, AC E
The biggest surprise was the Princess K in HNL going....

....up! From a 3 to a 4. HNL is a hurtin' right now I find it hard to justify that many points for that property.
Old Feb 19, 2009, 3:33 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, AA 2.0 MM, DL Plat, Hertz Plat, LY Gold
I’m very pleased to let you be the first to know that Starwood Preferred Guest is eliminating peak season awards for categories 5 – 7 for 2009 (except for 3 Luxury Collection resorts in Costa Smeralda, Italy). So, for all of 2009, you will be able to plan travel to your favorite category 5 – 7 hotel or resort for the same amount of Starpoints regardless of the season.

In addition, the legwork has just been completed to determine what categories participating properties will occupy this year. The category changes won’t take place until March 2nd, so to help you plan your travel, here’s a link to view the list:

http://www.spgpromos.com/categorychanges/index.cfm?

You’ll be very pleased to know that more hotels and resorts are moving down in category than up this year. That’s good news as, in select locations, you will need fewer Starpoints to redeem for a Free Night Award. Please note: Most hotels and resorts are remaining static, but if you are planning to redeem your Starpoints for a Free Night Award in 2009, and you notice on the list that your selected property is one of the few that is actually going up, you can make your reservation before the change is made. In addition, if you have an existing Free Night Award and your selected hotel is going down you can cancel and re-book on or after March 2nd.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]
William,

Thanks a lot for bearing the (mostly) good news! Looking at these lists has made me curious..Why are some hotels omitted completely from the lists? I'm not talking about ones changing categories, It just seems that some hotels are on the lists and others aren't... Any specific reasoning?
Old Feb 19, 2009, 3:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by damaxer91
William,

Thanks a lot for bearing the (mostly) good news! Looking at these lists has made me curious..Why are some hotels omitted completely from the lists? I'm not talking about ones changing categories, It just seems that some hotels are on the lists and others aren't... Any specific reasoning?
I guess you're going to have to tell me which ones you think are missing.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.