Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

2009 Platinum Gift: $75 SPG Gift Cheque or Free Weekend Night (Award ID YGFWN)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2009, 4:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CO PLAT, SPG PLAT, AVIS PC, AMEX CENTURION

I just received a email to choose one of these two offers as a Platinum recognition gift.
I dont know if I will ever stay in an SPG property on a weekend at a rate less than $75 a night. I'm sure its possible but for me its not likely so it looks like I'm going to take the free weekend night.

/mod note:

If you failed to request your gift by the required date, read Starwood Lurker's helpful post:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/11666238-post284.html

Last edited by SanDiego1K; May 14, 2009 at 10:24 am
Old Feb 10, 2009, 4:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by JWConcierge
I just received a email to choose one of these two offers as a Platinum recognition gift.
I dont know if I will ever stay in an SPG property on a weekend at a rate less than $75 a night. I'm sure its possible but for me its not likely so it looks like I'm going to take the free weekend night.
Think about it, some weekend rates right now using the 50% off 2nd night offer can be quite attractive. Your total room bill may be something like $150 for 2 nights. Plus, you get 500 bonus points per night up to possibly, 1,000 more points if you make it part of the 10 nights for 5,000 bonus.

+ possible online booking bonus for another 500 points

That's 2,500 bonus points you otherwise wouldn't have earned + probably another 750 points so based on $ spent at the hotel when using a SPG AMEX.

Your total earning = over 3,000 SPG points if you choose the gift cheque for 2 weekend nights at a decent category 3 or 4 hotels while paying maybe $75 out of your pocket. Actually, if your stay is longer, you can tag alone some cash & points redemption at the same hotel and make the seperate bookings into a consecutive stay of redemption and paid nights, then your entire stay / night will count towards elite status and promotion. This is an old FT trick that works for ages.

The way I see it, unless the free weekend night is valid at a Cat. 6 or 7 hotel, the gift cheque seems to be a much better deal.
Old Feb 10, 2009, 4:47 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, Marriot LTG
what are the T&C as far as cat and expiration?
Old Feb 10, 2009, 4:56 pm

Programs: SPG
Originally Posted by richiezc
Cat 1-5 good till end of the year
Old Feb 10, 2009, 4:57 pm

Programs: AC MM SE, Marriott Titanium - Lifetime Plat 2nd Class, National Executive, Avis PP
Originally Posted by richiezc
Here are the details - pretty much what you would expect...

Once I select a gift, can I change it later?
No. Once a gift option is selected and confirmed, it cannot be changed at any time.

How much time do I have to select my gift?
You have until April 30, 2009, at midnight EST to select your gift.

If I choose an SPG Gift Cheque, how will I receive it and when will it arrive?
Your SPG Gift Cheque will arrive by mail at the address listed on your Starwood Preferred Guest® account within 4–6 weeks of when you confirm your selection.

What if I lose my SPG Gift Cheque?
SPG Gift Cheques will not be replaced if lost, stolen or expired.

What can I use my SPG Gift Cheque for?
You can use your SPG Gift Cheque toward any goods or services charged to your folio at any Starwood Preferred Guest participating hotel through December 31, 2009. Gift Cheques may only be used during a hotel stay.

Can I give my SPG Gift Cheque to someone else to use?
No, SPG Gift Cheques are non-transferable.

Is there an expiration date on my SPG Gift Cheque?
Yes, your SPG Gift Cheque will expire on December 31, 2009.

Can I use part of my SPG Gift Cheque on one visit and save the balance for a later visit?
No, each SPG Gift Cheque must be surrendered to the hotel at the time of use. No cash or credit will be given for any unused portion of the SPG Gift Cheque when it is surrendered.

If I use the SPG Gift Cheque outside the United States, how much is it worth in non-U.S. currency?
When an SPG Gift Cheque is used outside the United States, the hotel will use the currency conversion rates of the day.

Are SPG Gift Cheques redeemable for cash?
No.

Is there an expiration date for the Free Weekend Night Award?
Yes. The Free Weekend Night Award can be used through December 27, 2009.

How do I redeem a Free Weekend Night Award?
To redeem a Free Weekend Night Award, contact the SPG Customer Contact Center for your region; the phone number is listed on the back of your SPG member card. Advance reservations are required and member must ask for Award ID YGFWN.

Where and when can I use a Free Weekend Night Award?
A Free Weekend Night Award is redeemable for a single or double occupancy standard room for one Friday, Saturday or Sunday night at any Category 1–5 participating SPG hotel or resort. SPG participating properties can be found at SPG.com.

Is a Free Weekend Night Award valid for existing reservations?
No. To redeem a Free Weekend Night Award, you must mention Award ID YGFWN at the time you book the reservation through the SPG Customer Contact Center.
Old Feb 10, 2009, 5:39 pm

Got the email and chose the free weekend night... will use it on a CAT5 hotel... That's 12K points max. Not bad... of course... not as good as 50% off deal, but hey, better than nothing... and I think it's better than the 75 dollar check (When I was choosing, over 80% of people chose free weekend night )
Old Feb 10, 2009, 5:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I got the e-mail, but the formatting is screwed up and the link doesn't work. Would someone post the link? It shouldn't matter making it public, because it won't work if you aren't eligible.
Old Feb 10, 2009, 5:59 pm

Programs: UA and SPG are the two primary ones these days
Originally Posted by Guava
Actually, if your stay is longer, you can tag alone some cash & points redemption at the same hotel and make the seperate bookings into a consecutive stay of redemption and paid nights, then your entire stay / night will count towards elite status and promotion. This is an old FT trick that works for ages.
Pardon my confusion, but how exactly does this "old FT trick" work - you make one single booking and say you want to use both redemption and paid nights? I think I'm not quite getting it . . .
Old Feb 10, 2009, 6:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mwg25
Pardon my confusion, but how exactly does this "old FT trick" work - you make one single booking and say you want to use both redemption and paid nights? I think I'm not quite getting it . . .
Example: Monday-paid; Tuesday-points/C&P; Wednesday-paid; Thursday-points/C&P
This will often post as 2 qualifying nights/2 qualifying stays.
Old Feb 10, 2009, 6:05 pm

Programs: UA and SPG are the two primary ones these days
Aha - makes total sense! That IS a great trick. Thank you!
Old Feb 10, 2009, 6:18 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, SPG LTP
Originally Posted by soitgoes
Example: Monday-paid; Tuesday-points/C&P; Wednesday-paid; Thursday-points/C&P
This will often post as 2 qualifying nights/2 qualifying stays.
While it may work at times, that's not how it's supposed to work so YMMV.

Back on topic, I got my gift e-mail this afternoon and chose the free night. I know it's not the 50% off redemption some were hoping for, but I can't complain. It makes the extra money I spent to reach Plat this year seem even more worthwile. Thanks SPG. ^
Old Feb 10, 2009, 6:21 pm

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
Originally Posted by Captain Canuck
Here are the details - pretty much what you would expect...
Don't know about you but I certainly didn't expect Cat 5 properties to be included.
Old Feb 10, 2009, 6:35 pm

Link

Could someone please post the link? The formatting on my email is completely screwed up.

Thanks

Originally Posted by Braindrain
Don't know about you but I certainly didn't expect Cat 5 properties to be included.
Old Feb 10, 2009, 6:38 pm

Programs: HH, PC, SPG, MR, GP, US, UA, AA
Originally Posted by Braindrain
The 50 POR offer from last year also included cat 5.
Old Feb 10, 2009, 6:41 pm

First off, I'm a longtime starwood member but new to this site..wow, what a great resource.

I just received my platinum gift email and have considered using the free weekend night for an upcoming trip. Here's the deal...I am staying for 7 nights on points at a category 4 (6 x 10000 points plus the free night for staying at least 5 nights in a row on points.)

This would be a great opportunity to use this Platinum gift...however, I am staying Tuesday to Tuesday...the weekend falls right in the middle of that.

Any thoughts (Lurkers?), if on a 7 night stay, I can use both the free weekend night (platinum gift) and the free night for booking 5+ nights on points given the Tuesday - Tuesday stay?

Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.