Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The Westin Colonnade, Coral Gables, (Near Miami) Florida [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Westin Colonnade, Coral Gables, (Near Miami) Florida [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2009, 7:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage, Onepass, Lifemiles, SPG, Marriott. LANPASS s*cks.
Arrow The Westin Colonnade, Coral Gables, (Near Miami) Florida [Master Thread]

Is thare a master thread for this hotel? Couldn't find it. Edit: There is one now!

Was wondering which is better: Executive Suite or Two-floor suite?

As per the two-floor suite photos in the website, the room seems to be too small.

Last edited by leandrorar; Jan 18, 2009 at 7:21 pm
Old Jan 16, 2009, 8:49 pm

Programs: AA Exp, Starwood Platinum, Priority Club Platinum RA, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
I did not like the two floor suite. I was there in the summer and the bedroom is on the top level and the air conditioner just couldn't keep up. Even with the curtains pulled closed during the day it was very hot up top. The staff wasn't rude but they weren't overly friendly either.
Old Jan 17, 2009, 5:25 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum / Titanium, AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by studio253
I did not like the two floor suite. I was there in the summer and the bedroom is on the top level and the air conditioner just couldn't keep up. Even with the curtains pulled closed during the day it was very hot up top. The staff wasn't rude but they weren't overly friendly either.
I was not so fortunate to get a suite upgrade when there. I agree with your assessment of the staff.
Old Jan 17, 2009, 12:24 pm

Programs: AA Exp, Starwood Platinum, Priority Club Platinum RA, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by quinella66
I was not so fortunate to get a suite upgrade when there. I agree with your assessment of the staff.

I booked the suite upgrade on a points stay. My boss was getting married in the area and it was also our five year anniversary so I wanted it to be special. I'm treated nicer by my local staff at the aLoft and 4points back home. Again, they weren't rude but they were not overly friendly either. I had booked through Plat concierge and made sure it was notated that it was our 5th anniversary. My wife, who usually doesn't travel with me or complain, even commented that the staff seemed cold and she thought they would be friendlier at a Westin. The last time she traveled with me was on business to the "dreaded" Westin LAX and we were treated great. I was Gold then and we had some issues with the room that were taken care of and on the way out the GM happened to be in the lobby and asked us how our stay was. I told him it was good after the issues were resolved and that the staff was very happy to help us. He apologized profusely and credited me with 10k points for the troubles and asked us to please come back there again when we're in LA. I told him that it wasn't necessary but he insisted.

Last edited by studio253; Jan 17, 2009 at 12:30 pm
Old Jan 17, 2009, 3:29 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL Plat, Marriott Bonvoy LIfetime Titanium/SPG refugee, Hertz Prez, Amtrak Select
Jan, 2009 Trip Report

I was there earlier this week. I booked the room on-line but not pre-pay internet rate. I called Plat line and asked them what kind of upgrades were available for points (why waste points just to get some higher floor?). They put me on hold and came back and said they spoke with the hotel directly who were happy to upgrade as a plat for no points--and this was five days in advance.

The hotel is about 15 minutes from the airport in a rather unexciting neighborhood nowhere particularly near water or sand. There are a number of good restaurants in walking distance. You enter from the street level and take an escalator up one level to check in and meeting rooms, etc. Check-in was very friendly and hospitable and my upgrade was confirmed and (yet-to-be-posted) points given for the ammenity.

I was in room 214, which is actually on the 7th floor of the building (unsure what's between floors 2 and 6) but the first floor of guest rooms. This was a large-room style suite. There's a the bed on one end with a sofa in between and the desk and tv on dresser against the very far wall. There's a HUGE balcony that could host 20 people for a cocktail party. Unfortunately it overlooked nothing at all, never is directly in the sun for tanning, and was completely covered in bird poop, including the two lounge chairs and cushions. You really didn't even want to walk out there. From my vantage this was the only floor with balconies and the rest were all much smaller, only really enough room for two to sit.

There's a huge pool deck with lots of tables at which to sit as well as lounge chairs, a pool, and a whirlpool. There's no attendant or any bar or food service. There are a stack of towels. This pool deck area is on the opposite side of the second floor from my suite and looks like all the rooms on this side have french doors that open onto the pool deck. I would NOT one of those rooms--no privacy at all! While not covered in bird poop, the pool deck was not terribly clean with a few cigarette butts floating in the pool and all the furniture in need of staining and sealing. Again, no view other than the alley and buildings across the street although this one of the highest buildings so there's nothing blocking the sun.

Good little workout room overlooking the pool deck and gift shop down on the first floor but not associated with the hotel so can't charge to your room. Room service was the friendliest of their employees and the food quite good (for room service).
Old Jan 17, 2009, 3:55 pm

EnvoyBoy,

Thanks for the nice review. I booked this hotel for my parents to spend a 2 nights before they will go on their cruise. Now I am thinking maybe I should book something else for them.
Old Jan 18, 2009, 5:29 am

Programs: UA GS, DL Plat, Marriott Bonvoy LIfetime Titanium/SPG refugee, Hertz Prez, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by Cheap Elite
Pictures? You knew I was going to ask. he he he
Not until they put a camera on the World Edition Blackberry!

It is a historic hotel but in very nice condition. I found my room modern with furniture not looking worn. Heavenly bed and bath, including some relatively new and still fluffy towels. Public areas were attractive and a small restaurant looked cute. The workout room was small but had nice, newer equipment.
Old Jan 18, 2009, 6:10 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Titanium
Exclamation Award Stay Warning

I urge caution if booking an award stay here. They have been known to list all room categories available at the standard redemption rate on spg.com, but then charge higher rates for any non-standard rooms selected upon reservation completion.

I mistakenly booked a non-standard room for a relative last month at what I thought was the standard redemption rate. After making the reservation I noticed that more points were deducted than had been advertised. Then began a circular comedy worthy of Monty Python: I called Plat Concierge to reduce to standard rate, then the hotel changed it back, then PC changed it back again and so on until PC finally managed to "lock" the lower redemption rate.

Anyway, it was a big hassle and I never would have attempted to book a non-standard room had it not been erroneously advertised.
Old Jan 18, 2009, 11:25 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: SPG
Originally Posted by AKronin
I urge caution if booking an award stay here. They have been known to list all room categories available at the standard redemption rate on spg.com, but then charge higher rates for any non-standard rooms selected upon reservation completion.

I mistakenly booked a non-standard room for a relative last month at what I thought was the standard redemption rate. After making the reservation I noticed that more points were deducted than had been advertised. Then began a circular comedy worthy of Monty Python: I called Plat Concierge to reduce to standard rate, then the hotel changed it back, then PC changed it back again and so on until PC finally managed to "lock" the lower redemption rate.

Anyway, it was a big hassle and I never would have attempted to book a non-standard room had it not been erroneously advertised.
It would be good if you can provide more details on this as I am not able to duplicate the same problem you have described. All I see is a list of standard rooms for award redemption on spg.com.

In any case, if a member encounters similar problems with this or another property, do not hesitate to contact Customer care or Platinum Concierge to bring this up.

[email protected]
Old Jan 20, 2009, 3:38 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Titanium
Hopefully this issue has been resolved in the past month or so. I only brought it up because I remember reading another post (in another thread; cannot remember) where somebody else had the exact same issue with this property.

Thanks, Theytus. I did in fact follow your recommended course of action, and the result was resolved to my satisfaction via Platinum Concierge.
Old Jan 20, 2009, 4:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Originally Posted by TAHKUCT
I booked this hotel for my parents to spend a 2 nights before they will go on their cruise. Now I am thinking maybe I should book something else for them.
There is sometimes confusion about The Gables' location because a small sliver of the town DOES touch the bay - sometimes overzealous Visitors Bureau-types might give a skewed impression of the exact geographical position of CG.

Beyond that, I think a lot depends on what your parents will want to do during their pre-cruise time.

Many people on pre-cruise stays want to have a low-key time, anticipating well-filled days and nights and elaborate meals on-board.

The Gables is a very suitable area for people who would enjoy shopping, casual-to-fine dining. and historical sites (using "history" in context, remembering that Miami didn't exist before about 1895). For example. from the Westin, it's a very short walk to arguably the best bookstore in the state, Books and Books, perfect for some last-minute reading material for those lazy hours to be spent on the deck chairs. There are some good restaurants serving cuisine that is not wdely found elsewhere - one example being Ortanique on the Mile:

http://www.cindyhutsoncuisine.com/dsp_miami_main.cfm

The Gables is NOT the place for a couple that is seeking sandy beaches, chi-chi expense-account dining, and/or ultra-hip nightlife - there's a well-known district a few miles to the East that welcomes pre-cruise visitors seeking those kinds of diversions.

Last edited by Non-NonRev; Jan 20, 2009 at 4:06 am
Old Jan 20, 2009, 7:14 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, HH Diam, MR Plat, AA Plat, CO Elite Plat., Hertz Gold
Pics of CG Westin

Originally Posted by Cheap Elite
Pictures? You knew I was going to ask. he he he
Hi Cheap Elite,

I had the same exact room that EnvoyBoy described. My stay was in June of last year. I have lots of pics of the room and enormous balcony. If you would like a few, send a private message with your email address and I will send a few over to you.

Regarding other rooms, I think this may be the "standard" room they use for plat upgrades. From what the bellman was explaining to me, many of the rooms are quite small and this one is much larger in comparison. The hotel is a colonial style hotel. The room fixtures may be typical of a Westin property but the structure is not. The room size is not your standard oversized room that is normally found at a Westin. You could request a room by the pool, I believe they were all 2 story rooms that faced south.

One of the great things about this property are the large number of restaurants and shops that are close by. Most are within a block or two of the hotel. It's about a 10 minute drive into downtown Miami and about 20 minutes to South Beach.
Old Jan 21, 2009, 9:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage, Onepass, Lifemiles, SPG, Marriott. LANPASS s*cks.
So far...

Valet-parking $22; self-parking $20.
In-room internet $12.99
Free internet in the (small) lobby
Old May 11, 2009, 6:31 pm

Programs: YOW-AC*SE,SPG Plat, Hertz #1 Club
Executive Lounge?

Is there an Executive Lounge? What about comp breakfasts? Thanks in advance for any info.
Old May 11, 2009, 9:56 pm

When we were there they did not comp any breakfasts and there was no lounge.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.