Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Now resolved: Is this a fair offer? (a very old mattress)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2008, 11:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVPG, Hyatt Diamond

We stayed at the Westin La Quinta Marbella Spain last month on a 5 night cash & points stay. One of the reasons we choose Westin is to have a guaranteed good sleep on a comfortable Heavenly Bed. Upon laying down to bed the first night, we immediately noticed that the bed was unlike the familiar Heavenly Bed. It was lumpy in spots and only had one layer of sheets between the mattress.

I called down to explain my concern and ask to be moved. I was assured that the bed we had was a Heavenly Bed and that all rooms had the same bed and another room would not be any better.

One day we went to the spa and really enjoyed laying on the couches by the tub. Needless to say, our other sleeps were miserable and even left some discomfort in my back. No Heavenly bed experience here.....

Shouldn't customers expect a consistent bed when choosing a Westin that markets and advertises the Heavenly Bed? Our room documentation sure seemed to convey that consistency.

I followed up with corporate customer service after our return to convey my displeasure. I took pictures of our mattress condition during our stay and forwarded them:
http://s447.photobucket.com/albums/q...fanatic_photo/

I received a reply confirming that this bed should have been taken out of service long ago and that as a gesture of goodwill, 5,000 starpoints would be placed in my account.

I am interested in hearing what others think. Is this a fair offer (gesture) ?

Thanks in advance.
Old Dec 20, 2008, 11:48 pm

Good Evening:

You should ask for your money and points back "In Toto".

The pictures of the mattress as shown are unacceptable.

Is this an hotel or the salvation army?
Old Dec 20, 2008, 11:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Presidents club
You are kidding, right?

Those photos can't be real... HA!

If they are you must demand a full refund for everything you paid. They promised one thing and delivered something far less.

A partial refund just won't cut it.
Old Dec 21, 2008, 12:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
I agree. 5k is not reasonable. A full refund is not reasonable too. They delivered a hotel, a room, a bed, however not the bed being part of the contract. I would ask myself what portion of my holiday was ruined (do not say everything) and come up with a resonable "discount-proposal" plus some points for "pain and suffer".
Old Dec 21, 2008, 12:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
I've problems with beds before, at another chain. I really feel that you need to kick it up to management as soon as there is a problem. I think it's much easier to get the ball rolling when you're still at the property.

After a couple of bad experiences in Thailand this year (Hilton/Conrad), I wouldn't stay there if they didn't have better bedding.
Old Dec 21, 2008, 12:57 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, SPG LT Plat, AA 3MM EXP
Originally Posted by soonerfanatic
I am interested in hearing what others think. Is this a fair offer (gesture) ?
I think those pics were absolutely disgusting. How many years does it take to wear the edges of a germ-bag mattress like that? I would have pulled management up to my room to check it out, or shown the pics to the front desk. But, no, I don't think that is enough compensation, especially after your first complaint call went unresolved.
Old Dec 21, 2008, 1:02 am

Id like to know what the starwood lurker thinks about these pics
Old Dec 21, 2008, 2:52 am

Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer
I agree. 5k is not reasonable. A full refund is not reasonable too. They delivered a hotel, a room, a bed, however not the bed being part of the contract. I would ask myself what portion of my holiday was ruined (do not say everything) and come up with a resonable "discount-proposal" plus some points for "pain and suffer".
Yeah, that is crazy! I would demand a full refund and a reasonable compensation for the pain and suffering - ESPECIALLY since you let them know from day one of your stay. It was no surprise to them! I don't think they are in any position to bargine with you, you can threaten to sue and see how fast they compensate your. Such a joke!
Old Dec 21, 2008, 3:13 am

Programs: You name it 😉
I have never seen anything like before and I have stayed in some really "classy" hovels. I would not know how to enumerate an client for such a thing. 5000 points, heck no! Hell no! SPG comped me 5000 points just for finding a half eaten slim jim and a candy wrapper under my comforter. Sorry. I am too stunned.
Old Dec 21, 2008, 3:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Originally Posted by sushibum
Yeah, that is crazy! I would demand a full refund and a reasonable compensation for the pain and suffering - ESPECIALLY since you let them know from day one of your stay. It was no surprise to them! I don't think they are in any position to bargine with you, you can threaten to sue and see how fast they compensate your. Such a joke!
Come on, sue for what? Spain is not the US and a professional judge is not a jury. This would end up in a small claims court in Marbella. It is reasonable to ask for a (let me guess) 30% discount and he already got 5k points - I would ask for 40% disount plus 10k points. The OP staid in that hotel, enjoyed the stay and could have enjoyed it more. This hotel offers the Heavenly Bed for every room.

However: If you sue them a court will certainly ask what part of the vacation was affected (night only). At the end of the day the judge will rule that the bed was not as promissed, however it was a normal Spanish hotel bed. And I am pretty certain, the verdict will be less than 40% discount (at the utmost) but the OP will not get these 10k points for "pain and suffer" because there was no pain and suffer exceeding the portion already compensated by the discount.
Old Dec 21, 2008, 5:02 am

Programs: AS 100K, UA MM, AA MM, IC Plat Amb, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist
I can't speak for myself here, but if the OP specifically chose the hotel because of the bedding that Westin advertises, and the OP did not (and apparently could not) receive what was advertised, then a full refund doesn't sound unreasonable to me. After all, the OP didn't ge ta single night's good sleep.

It sounds as if the OP took all reasonable measures to inform the hotel of the issue, and the hotel could not deliver. I hope that Starwood compensates the OP far more than the 5K points!
Old Dec 21, 2008, 5:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: AA Plat / UA NOTHING / Alaska 75K / Hyatt Diamond / SPG LT Plat / Marriott Gold / Priority Club Plat / Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by mikew99
It sounds as if the OP took all reasonable measures to inform the hotel of the issue, and the hotel could not deliver. I hope that Starwood compensates the OP far more than the 5K points!
And more importantly, hopefully Starwood will force the hotel to either install Heavenly Beds or make it abundently clear on every reservation that the Heavenly Bed feature is not available at this hotel. I've been treated very well by Starwood and the very few times I've had issues they've really stepped up to the plate. But if this happened to me, 5,000 points wouldn't even start to cool me down. But that's just me.
Old Dec 21, 2008, 8:31 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Agreed. Call or write the GM including those pictures and state 5k points is not enough. Tell the GM EXACTLY what would make you happy.

This is an instance where you should also call customer service to find out if this property is using the standard bedding for the country they are in.

Originally Posted by tinkybelle
Id like to know what the starwood lurker thinks about these pics
Why target William? It's not like he put the mattress there. I would expect he would have a personal and professional opinion. BTW the mattress in a hotel has nothing to do with the SPG program. soonerfanatic, will need to call HOTEL customer service to report this.
Old Dec 21, 2008, 9:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVPG, Hyatt Diamond
Thanks to all for the replies.

I can assure you that the pictures are real and it was shocking to us when we pulled up the sheets to take a look. We were in room 242. Yes, it might have been a heavenly bed mattress at one point, maybe at hotel opening in 1986 !

I definitely did follow up while we were there, asked to have another room and spoke with the gentleman who checked us in and manager on duty. The language barrier did make it difficult and after being assured we were in a Heavenly Bed and that all other beds would be equivalent, I did not pursue it as I was dealing with another issue. Our rental car was broken into the first night while in valet. I took pictures of the hole near the drivers side door lock for evidence, thank goodness I purchased the insurance package and paid with Amex, also glad I took my golf clubs and gps into the room with us! We were also told we were in an upgraded room and it was one of the best. We really enjoyed the view and did not want to "lose" this perk.

I have checked again and sure enough on the Westin website for this property states "signature Westin Heavenly BedŽ". Sorry, but I would think this is a corporate issue and not a local hotel follow up since it seems that they might be violating a franchise requirement. Maybe I should follow up with the GM also?

I agree with Flying Lawyer that a full refund is not reasonable, I feel that I am a fair person when I am wronged and don't take advantage. In fact, in my correspondence with corporate customer service, I have hinted that I believe the equivalent of 2 nights in spg points would be fair (this was a 5 night cash & points stay). I received a reply from a supervisor, "Unfortunately, Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide will not be able to offer further compensation in this matter. "

The only reason this whole thing came up again after my initial contact is because I received a survey email inquiring on my service received from corporate customer service. I voiced my displeasure, and this prompted further communication on the matter.

I am saving all email communication on this matter. I will follow up if I hear back from corporate customer service and post the results. Hopefully, they will make this right. ^
Old Dec 21, 2008, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't think the offer is fair- that is certainly not a heavenly bed.
This hotel will be put on the avoid list for me... Next time stay at the Kempinski.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.