Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Newfoundland (was Fairmount) (pre stay discussion)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2008, 6:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Gold Elite, Avis President's Club, National Executive

Over in the OTHER HOTEL PROGRAMS forum, it's been reported that as of Dec 31st, this hotel is to have been sold and will be converted into a Sheraton.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...php?p=10811735

If this is in fact true, what kind of time frame would we be talking with regards to conversion?

St John's has never had a Starwood hotel, so I am eagerly awating this. The hotel will be a great addition to the Spg line-up

http://www.fairmont.com/Newfoundland/
Old Nov 26, 2008, 9:50 am
formerly known as daveland

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTP, Delta Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Wyndham Diamond
That would be cool - if only because I've never been to NF and being able to use points might make it a destination
Old Nov 26, 2008, 11:31 am

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum & LFT Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Silver, Airmiles Onyx, Aeroplan, Avis President's Club
If this is indeed true, it's a nice addition to Atlantic Canada since we only have 2 Starwood properties. A complete revamp of this hotel is overly due however...
Old Nov 26, 2008, 11:41 am

Programs: AA, Delta, United, SPG plat, Hyatt dia
I bet it is just beautiful up there in nice weather.
One day I would love to visit-The Bay of Fundy sounds amazing.
Unfortunately I never make it past Montreal it seems
Old Nov 26, 2008, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by bigguyinpasadena
One day I would love to visit-The Bay of Fundy sounds amazing.
Big Guy: Have a long look at a map before you get your airline ticket. St. John's is nowhere close to the Bay of Fundy, not even close by 'it's a long drive' Newfoundland standards.

Good location, great city (in summer!), but agree with the need for full renovation before Starwood walks in.
Old Nov 26, 2008, 11:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Gold Elite, Avis President's Club, National Executive
I was gonna point that out. It is a bit of a drive plus a 6 hour ferry ride!
Old Nov 26, 2008, 11:53 am

Location: Any of the Following PDX SFO IAH YUL HPN CDG SYD WLG AKL
Programs: AA GLD 1MM, DL DM, UA 1K Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador , Hyatt Platinum
While St John may be near the Bay of Fundy, St John's is quite a ways away
Old Nov 26, 2008, 12:01 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum & LFT Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Silver, Airmiles Onyx, Aeroplan, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by kiwicanuck
While St John may be near the Bay of Fundy, St John's is quite a ways away
Saint John, New Brunswick is never called St John or St John's. Saint John or (Saint-Jean) New Brunswick and St. John's Newfoundland. Sorry but only locals gets this...

To everyone here; the Bay of Fundy in New Brunswick between (Moncton and Saint John) is really nice, if you like nature & a beautiful scenery. Newfoundland is something to see! I love it there, reminds me of Ireland, the natural scenery anyway, it's like nowhere else in North America. Enjoy!

Last edited by NBSPGMEMBER; Nov 28, 2008 at 8:56 am
Old Nov 26, 2008, 2:00 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, United, SPG plat, Hyatt dia
I would love to visit both of them
Old Nov 27, 2008, 1:06 pm

Location: somewhere Cl. III / III+, with green waves and friendly holes
Programs: *wood Platinum, HH Gold, OneWorld Emerald, QF GOLD, AP Premium, Mabuhay Elite, bunch o others...
Love to see more SPG in the Maritimes!

And yes folks, it is worth the visit - God's country! amazing scenery, both 'johns' '
Old Nov 27, 2008, 1:17 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, WS Gold, Hertz PC, National E Elite,
http://www.thetelegram.com/index.cfm?sid=187008&sc=82
Newfoundland-based Fortis Properties Corp. is acquiring a landmark hotel in the capital city.
Fortis confirmed Tuesday it is buying the Fairmont Newfoundland. The company declined to release financial terms.
“We just really believe that hotel is a great asset, and to be honest, we think it has tremendous potential,” said Nora Duke, president and chief executive officer of Fortis Properties.
“The fact that it’s in St. John’s, our home market — we have confidence in this market, we feel really good about it.”
The deal is scheduled to close Nov. 13. Fairmont will continue to operate the hotel for another 60 days after that.
Fortis is remaining mum on what happens then.
“We’re working through those details now, but I’m not at a point I can comment on that,” Duke said.
Duke said no layoffs are planned in the short term. “For the immediate future, it’s business as normal.” But she indicated that Fortis will look at the operation over time.
The company already owns two other major hotels in St. John’s — the Holiday Inn, with 252 rooms, and the Delta, with 403. The Fairmont has roughly 300 rooms.
After the deal closes, Fortis will hold in its portfolio roughly half of the hotel rooms in the capital city.
Fortis Properties also owns hotels in Corner Brook and Grand Falls-Windsor, and a large portfolio of commercial properties in downtown St. John’s — including Fortis Tower, Cabot Place, Fort William Building, TD Place and the Fortis Building.
Last week, Fortis Properties officials declined to comment when asked by The Telegram whether they were close to a deal.
At the time, Toronto-based Fairmont spokesman Mike Taylor dismissed questions about the pending sale as “rumours.”
On Tuesday, the rumours became reality.
The original Newfoundland Hotel opened in downtown St. John’s in 1926.
A new hotel was built at the site of the original building in 1982.
In 1999, owner Canadian Pacific Hotels completed a deal with Fairmont to combine operations.
The venerable St. John’s hotel officially changed its name to the Fairmont Newfoundland in 2000.
Duke said it’s too early to say what Fortis will call the newly acquired property.
“Again, we’re not ready to release details of that just yet,” she said.
But she said Fortis would keep in mind the “landmark nature” of the hotel.
Fortis Properties owns 20 hotels across the country.
Old Nov 27, 2008, 5:50 pm

Location: AC Million Miler & long time SE; StarwoodPlat for 10+ yrs & lifetime Gold; Hilton Honours Diamond; IC Ambassador; AMEX Plat;Avis Presidents Club; Airmiles GOLD; and just about everything else!
Programs: aeroplan & 25+year loyalty
That would be me that started this rumor on the other board. It is certainly a fact that the Fairmount is gone and it is speculated in the hotel industry that Starwood is kicking the tires on this property.

I actually prefer the Delta in St John's over the Fairmount or former Fairmount but as I have a convention booked at the Fairmount in 2010 I am concerned over the change of ownership and what that might mean to my convention.

Saint John NB is another great small city with amazing architecture and a great historic core. The city has been revitalized greatly over the last few years and is on the Bay of Fundy and well worth visiting.
Old Nov 27, 2008, 6:30 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: SPG
Originally Posted by seanburke
If this is in fact true, what kind of time frame would we be talking with regards to conversion?
Hi seanburke,

I have absolutely no idea how long it will take. In fact, I doubt there is a definite answer to every conversion.

There are so many factors to consider: the size of the property, the amenities, software, training, branding etc. For a property to complete the full scale conversion, it will definitely take more than 12 months.

[email protected]
Old Nov 27, 2008, 10:18 pm

Programs: AC-SE100K MM, BA-S HH-D, MB-G LT Sil, IHG-Plt, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by 100,000miler
Saint John NB is another great small city with amazing architecture and a great historic core. The city has been revitalized greatly over the last few years and is on the Bay of Fundy and well worth visiting.
Full disclosure please. Where did you grow up?
--
13F

PS I also think YSJ is a great city. I spent the first half of my life there.
Old Nov 27, 2008, 10:43 pm

Programs: SPG, AA: PLAT; Hilton: Diamon, UAL: Premier Exec; IC_PriClub; 308 hours flying Boeing 707's
Good potential, hope it works out

Originally Posted by bigguyinpasadena
I bet it is just beautiful up there in nice weather.
St. John's is a wonderful place, great in all weather! Even though it is a bit chilly!

Over the last 8 years I've stopped in St. John's for 14 or 15 days on 9 trips. Visited the Fairmont and thought it was a nice property for the area, but didn't feel like it fit the other Fairmont's I'd been (Banff, Lake Louise, Newport Beach or Boston). I would say the Sheraton brand is appropriate for the condition the hotel was in when I was there last (April, 2006).

I had some great ice hikes in the winter, enjoyed two days in Gros Morne National Park (simply stunning), met a moose on a trail about 25 miles outside of town, and hiked to the Eastern most point... The whole city was walkable and amiable. I liked their living eco-aquarium (the fluvarium)...

Great news, I will check it out if it does indeed convert to Starwood.

-- CaptainG

Last edited by CaptainG; Nov 27, 2008 at 10:52 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.