Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

aloft North Charleston Airport, SC [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

aloft North Charleston Airport, SC [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2008, 11:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Lifetime Plat, AA Gold, UA Gold, DL Silver, HH Gold, Vail Epic
Arrow aloft North Charleston Airport, SC [Master Thread]

PR: http://www.marketwatch.com/news/stor...B%7D&dist=hppr

Hotel homepage:
http://www.starwoodhotels.com/alofth...ropertyID=1990

Participating in Z3H multi-night promo.
BAR for tonight is $169. AAA $160. AARP $135.

Location is in North Charleston near the airport and around the corner from the Tanger Outlet mall. Not far from the Sheraton North Charleston.
Old Oct 3, 2008, 7:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: AA Plat / UA NOTHING / Alaska 75K / Hyatt Diamond / SPG LT Plat / Marriott Gold / Priority Club Plat / Hertz Pres
Well, I've never called *wood to complain about front desk service but I did this morning. Checking out of the hotel at 5am and front desk was either incompetant or incoherant, I couldn't figure out which. I mean, it's possible the kid was under the influence although I didn't smell any alcohol. Kept yawning, fighting to keep his eyes open, said "good evening" (just out of the blue) four times in the 15 minutes while he tried to check me out. Suggested I just "leave my information" and someone would get back to me. I walked and figured I'd call and get a receipt later. UNACCEPTABLE behaviour from anyone who is dealing with guests.
I called *wood and made them aware.
My first time at an Aloft. Hotel itself was fine. Bed was ok. TV better than average. Room set up nice. Trying to be a little too funky for me but if I hadn't had such bad customer service, I'd have come back. Live and learn.
Old Oct 3, 2008, 7:54 am
In memoriam

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Starwood Platinum, a nothing in several others
Originally Posted by fireworksboy
... Kept yawning, fighting to keep his eyes open, said "good evening" (just out of the blue) four times in the 15 minutes while he tried to check me out....
Report him, he was supposed to say "Aloha" four times.
Old Nov 3, 2008, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Poor stay but good recovery

We arrived at the CHS Aloft on Friday night at 10:30 pm with a reservation for one night at $109. We weren't quite sure what to expect, although the Halloween party in the lobby was a bit of a surprise. "Loud" would not be an accurate description for the music. "Louder than a Vegas club" might be a better description. The party was going on right in the lobby next to the check-in desk. I felt really bad for the poor woman at the desk, since the music was at a level way above "unsafe." She checked us in and we spent a few minutes shouting at each other over the noise to establish that she was putting us in a room on the top floor, the 5th. We got to the room, but could still hear the music through the floor. We went back downstairs, got assigned to 501, which was at the other end of the hall. We could still hear the music a bit, but it wasn't too big a deal.

The room itself wasn't exactly "shabby chic." It was more "shabby with an attempt at chic." It's a small room with the bed in the middle and a wall separating the bedroom and the bathroom. The shower had frosted glass and faced into the living room. The door separating the toilet/shower and the bathroom did not close all the way, although that may have just been a problem in that room. The bed was kind of hard, but the television was quite nice. The clock looked like something out of the 1950's.

The next morning, 7:30 came and went without our requested wake-up call. Remember folks, if it's important, set your cell phone clock. We went downstairs to check out and the person at the desk asked about our stay. We mentioned the party and all the noise and she told us, "Oh, that's not us, it's the local radio station's party." Um, okay. I could tell she felt bad, though, and she mentioned that other guests had complained about the noise. She noted the missed wake-up call and party, and said she would have a manager call us.

When I got to work today, I found a message on my work phone from the manager, who had called on Saturday. I called back today, left a message, and a different manager called me back. He explained that they often have parties in the lobby and try to save rooms on the higher floors for guests not associated with the party. He was pretty upset that someone had let the music get so loud that we could hear it up on 5, and offered us a free night's stay worth of points for the inconvenience and the missed wake-up call.

Overall, we were not thrilled with the stay, but we thought that the manager made us a more than generous offer with the compensation and feel that the service levels (outside of the issues that we had) were good. We'd probably go back.

Mike
Old Nov 3, 2008, 12:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mikeef
We mentioned the party and all the noise and she told us, "Oh, that's not us, it's the local radio station's party." Um, okay.
MSN Cache of Starwood's website that promoted the party.

And I guess the hotel's not doing it again for NYE.
Old Aug 24, 2010, 10:21 am

Programs: Delta,SPG, Hyatt
scflier - I assume youre going to answer again - so a hearty thanks!

I also have a one night stay here as there arent many SPG options.

Anyone have anything to add to this hotel? Any good places to visit or eat?

Any more recent reviews?

-singtx
Old Aug 24, 2010, 11:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by singtx
scflier - I assume youre going to answer again - so a hearty thanks!
Only because I live in SC and because I stayed at this hotel one time. You're welcome!

I'm not much of an Aloft fan based on my one experience in one. (And it was at this one.) As sort of a local, I often stay at the nearby Sheraton. The Sheraton is a Cat2 property, so weekend awards are cheap. I often (but definitely not always) get a suite upgrade at the Sheraton. The lounge is closed on weekends, but they gave us breakfast coupons upon request last time we were there. It gets mixed reviews here on FT, but it suits me for the value.

One thing that I don't like about this Aloft is that it is directly in line with CHS airport runway 33. It was loud when landing jets flew overhead. Besides that, I didn't care much for the design and construction of the room -- including our broken bathroom door that would not slide all the way closed and the lack of a second sink despite plenty of counter space for two. (I reported minor repair problems to the front desk clerk at checkout after our 1-night stay.) I thought that the beds were too firm. I don't remember the pillows but see that Starwood is changing them out brand-wide soon. I thought the room had an unfinished look, but I think that's maybe what the designers were going for in this brand.

As I said in the Sheraton's Master Thread, "I would not recommend either the Sheraton or the aloft for out-of-state tourist visitors who really want a classic Charleston experience. For that, stay downtown. Why not try one of Charleston's B&B's?"

If the classic Charleston experience is not important, then the above comment does not apply. (After all, I almost never stay downtown. I'd usually rather spend Starpoints and use my cash for food and entertainment. And I always have my own car.)

Any good places to visit or eat?
There's an outlet mall across the street. Does that count?

If you're visiting for vacation, I'd recommend historic, downtown Charleston which is about 10 miles away. There are LOTS of good restaurants in Charleston. There are already other threads about that such as this one which only barely touches the surface...
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/south...endations.html

But there are also lots of good restaurants in the islands surrounding Charleston, too. For info on what to see and do, I'd recommend searching in the South forum. As it is, your question is too broad unless you are asking strictly about the immediate vicinity of the hotel.
Old Aug 24, 2010, 12:03 pm

Exactly why I love FT and SPG forum! One night stay on our way through to WAS. We wanted to stay downtown for the "charm" but no SPG options and the under 100 rate jiving with my per diem prompted me to stay here.

As far as eats were good to go anywhere - what exactly is low country food?

Let me review the Sheraton again - I didnt choose it because of the pet fee ($40).

I will review some of the downtown locations again - too many hotesl with $100 pet fees!

Thanks sc flier.
Old Aug 24, 2010, 12:45 pm
Original Poster

Exactly why I love FT and SPG forum! One night stay on our way through to WAS. We wanted to stay downtown for the "charm" but no SPG options and the under 100 rate jiving with my per diem prompted me to stay here.
Makes sense. (Except for CHS being on the way to WAS from SAT. That's a little unusual, though not unreasonable.)

As far as eats were good to go anywhere - what exactly is low country food?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lowcountry_cuisine

Anywhere? Rather than list a bunch, I think that most of my favorites are all found on opentable.com's Charleston page. Not mentioned on OpenTable are Rue de Jean and (for breakfast/brunch) Hominy Grill.

Let me review the Sheraton again - I didn't choose it because of the pet fee ($40).
I'm not saying that the Aloft is bad. Mainly, I think it's just not my style. I'm apparently not the brand's target audience. Plus the Cat3 Aloft costs me more points if I'm redeeming points and only gives 250 points as the Plat welcome amenity.
Old Aug 24, 2010, 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by sc flier
Makes sense. (Except for CHS being on the way to WAS from SAT. That's a little unusual, though not unreasonable.)
Ha! My travel pattern is based on visiting new cities, friends, and food (BBQ).

I was all over opentable...thanks for the suggestions - will check them out.

After crunching the numbers...the Aloft it is.

Actually the 5 nighter is all SPG.

Will post pics and review.

cheers!
Old Aug 24, 2010, 1:46 pm
Original Poster

Ha! My travel pattern is based on visiting new cities, friends, and food (BBQ).
If you have the opportunity, you may wish to try one of our mustard-based BBQ sauces.

Not far from downtown Charleston is Thomas Bessinger's BBQ. (Don't hold him accountable for his brother Maurice's history of racism; I continue to boycott Maurice's BBQ here in the Columbia area. Thomas' recipe is close enough to Maurice's to keep me happy.)
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/4204393-post127.html
Old Sep 7, 2010, 7:56 pm

Aloft Charleston - I was tempered by reviews. I liked it. No line. so check-in was quick - Was given a voucher for two free drinks and appetizer at XWY and free hot sandwich, coffee, and fruit for breakfast. Was given 5th floor corner room.

A jazz get together was going on at night. Went to downtown and had dinner and sweets at River Street Sweets. Pralines are sick....especially the hot samples...I bought two pounds and they gave me third for free. I am a sucker.

I would rather stay downtown...but too many hotels were expensive, didnt take dogs, or wanted $100 plus for one pet.

BED
http://twitpic.com/2kxtgd

RR (sink)
http://twitpic.com/2kxu3i

There is a empty fridge and microwave which was great. Actual HD channels to watch, and the bed was comfy. Old old school AC unit.

cheers
Old Sep 9, 2010, 8:54 am

Programs: SPG Platinum
Just finished a one-nighter here (and one night at the Sheraton North Charleston) on vacation to see the city. Much preferred the Aloft, since the Sheraton was a little bit worn. The hotel is pretty much the same as the other Alofts I've been to, so nothing interesting to report. If you stay here, be prepared for the planes taking off/landing-it can be plenty loud to give you a small scare. Luckily, there were only a few flights that we heard go over us while we were in the room, so we weren't woken up by them.

Both the Aloft and the Sheraton are fairly easy drives to the historic downtown (about 10 minutes or so). We loved Charleston, and strongly second the recommendation for the Hominy Grill. Outstanding chicken fried chicken and sweet tea. We also ate at 82 Queen, which is right in the middle of downtown, which was also quite good.
Old Apr 16, 2011, 7:03 pm

Programs: AA Plat, SPG Platinum 50+
Just finishing a 3 night C&P stay here with the wife. Our first child free vacation in 15 years.

Upon check-in received Plat recognition and:
  1. One (1) free breakfast
  2. (1) free drink at the XYZ bar
  3. (1) free snack and (1) free soft drink
  4. Platinum points amenity

Room? Exactly the same as every Afloft room I have ever stayed in, which is fine. Bliss bar the first day, but then something else the 2nd and 3rd days. No foaming face wash, which bummed out the wife since she is almost out of it from all of my other W and Aloft stays. Service at the XYZ bar horrendous the first night...bartender was on sitting outside texting and smoking the whole night, had to drag her inside to get service. The 2nd and 3rd nights service was great.

Nice location right at the Tanger outlet mall, very close to highways and airport. We had 3 or 4 planes take off right over the hotel during our entire stay here, no biggie.

EDIT: After I composed and posted the above, we spent our last night. At about 0145, a very large and extremely loud plane took off from the CHS aiport and we awoke immediately in one of those heart-pounding sweats that its really hard to get back to sleep from. This makes me think twice about this property for the future...though I doubt the Sheraton is much better for this problem considering its right around the corner from the Aloft.
I have a lot of business in Charleston coming up and will happily stay here again.

Last edited by adkrick; Apr 17, 2011 at 7:43 am Reason: Adding the bit about the 0145 plane noise...
Old May 31, 2011, 6:53 am

Programs: The Mac Daddy of Heimlich County (and low-ball status)
spent the extended weekend here and in Mt. Pleasant for a friend's wedding. Front and back in were at this property - Thursday and Sunday night.

Arrived around 8pm Thursday night and was given a free drink and free breakfast cert for myself and the gf. No bartender in site. Received 5th floor room (533) and the key didn't work for the door. When I say that, I mean NO key would work because the lock didn't work at all. No light to even let you know it didn't accept the card. Had to go back downstairs and get a new room. Pillows seemed rather small, and the hotel is indeed DIRECTLY underneath the flight path for takeoffs at CHS.

Next morning walked down to breakfast. Hot items included sausage, bacon, potatoes, and some fake egg folded over with a teaspoon full of some ham/pepper/cheese mixture inside. Free for gold/plat but $5 if not. We walked right up and were not questioned about having a ticket or having to pay.

Check-in/out kiosks were not working, and no one was at the desk when I went to return the key cards. I just tossed them on a keyboard.

Checked back in Sunday afternoon right around 2:50pm. Had called earlier to try and get a slightly early (2pm) check-in and was told they had been completely booked the night before and some big group was just now leaving and 3pm would be the earliest.. This was at 1pm when I called. I was asked if I had a preference as to which floor I'd like to be on :/ Received two drink certs and another breakfast pass. Agent said bar opened at 3:30pm but the bartender seems to have their own hours. Huh?!?!? Had to run to outlet mall quickly to get a belt for a suit I was wearing that evening, came back in at 4:15pm, and no bartender. Left again at 5pm and finally saw one. No time for free drink, of course.

The room that night needed some work. Thermostat didn't work. Had to control the a/c at the unit itself and it never turned off. Down comforter was at its end of life cycle. Patches of material clumped in 15-20 locations and no down in other areas of the comforter. The kicker for me was the pillows. I didn't expect king pillows even tho it was a king bed, but they weren't even STANDARD size! I put the two side by side on the bed and they literally covered only half of the bed. Completely ridiculous not to have a standard pillow. They were relatively fast in bringing us two standard sized ones once we requested, though.

Fortunately it's only a Cat2. Anything else is unwarranted. Check in took more than 5 minutes each time, also. I also noticed they put "Convention Center" in the title of the hotel, which would give them an out to not offer a late check out, I would assume. They have about 6-8 spots worth of parking in the front of the hotel for "hybrid vehicles" and was glad to see some others not paying attention to this when they parked their non-hybrids there.

It's worth a Cat 2 stay, but nothing more.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.