Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Disney Orlando: Dolphin or Swan? 2007-present [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2010, 6:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
My 5 night stay ended yesterday and I got my folio this morning - no resort fee. There was also no fee on the folio from Monday, for my 2 free weekend night stay, and I expect none tomorrow for my final FWN.

There is an $11 nightly parking charge that didn't exist last time I stayed though, quite surprising/unfortunate.
Old Oct 18, 2010, 7:56 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, UA 1K, AA Plat
I stayed at both the Dolphin and Swan this year. The rooms were not great. The Swan was out of suites so they only upgraded us to an "Alcove" room that was just a bigger regular room. The Swan did waive the resort fee and also didn't charge us for parking (not sure if this was intentional or not).

We also went to Universal and stayed at the nearby Westin Imagine. Much nicer and newer property, got upgraded to a suite.
Old Mar 4, 2012, 6:38 pm

Programs: OP Plat, SPG
Anyone with more recent feedback? The last one here is from 2010. Is Swan still the recommended destination?
Old Mar 4, 2012, 7:19 pm

Programs: Club Awesome
kids - dolphin
no kids - swan
kids but don't want to be surrounded by kids - swan
Old Mar 20, 2012, 5:30 am

We are staying at the Swan now with a convention. We are platinum, still had to pay resort fee, and get no platinum benefits because we paid convention rate!! This hotel is sold out, but I could still get room at dolphin for 7$ more than paying now, and get platinum benifits(free breakfast!)! Past the cancelation date, but I will not make this mistake again!! Not happy!
Old Mar 20, 2012, 6:02 am

Any recent experiences with the new breakfast benefit at the Swan or Dolphin?

PS - adgtravel: always beware convention rates. As you mention, often it's to your advantage to make your own arrangements directly.

Cheers,
Old Mar 20, 2012, 6:18 am

Originally Posted by Flews
Any recent experiences with the new breakfast benefit at the Swan or Dolphin?...,
We at the Dolphin & the Swan over the last few days. I tried to update the plat amenity breakfast info in this thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...enefit-16.html

Overall, breakfast was very good and we especially enjoyed the fresh juices at Fresh at the Dolphin. I've stayed at these properties on average a couple of times over the last 10+ years, but this was the first time we really did sit-down breakfasts. We ended up paying each day, including tip, about $30 (2 adults (comped but $5 upgrade) & 1 child) total for breakfast.
Old Mar 20, 2012, 4:31 pm

Programs: A few
Thanks BizNYC.

How do they handle continental vs full breakfast? As best I can tell they only seem to offer "buffet" breakfast which seems to be everything?

Also do they charge plats the $14 resort fee?
Old Mar 20, 2012, 6:36 pm

ma91pmh,

The resort fee was waived at both the Swan and the Dolphin. At check-in we were told this proactively by the front-desk person and it never showed up on the bill. I had to use the higher speed wifi at the Swan and that did show up (six times) on the bill, but was removed immediately when I brought it to the attention of the front desk.

We really liked the breakfast at Fresh. We skipped Garden Grove because it didn't seem as...fresh (the pancakes were not made to order at GG and in my quick peek I didn't see the freshly juiced drinks we really enjoyed at Fresh). When we sat down to breakfast our first day, the server explained that the complimentary continental breakfast included the cold items at the buffet (muffins, pastries, cut fruit, yogurt with granola, some cereals and the juices) plus oatmeal and grits. So the $5 upgrade was for the pancakes and waffles, made-to-order eggs and omelets, carved meats, pre-made scrambled eggs, potatoes and bacon. My husband and I happily did the $5 upgrade each day and my four-year old was charged $11.95 each day, which also included the orange juice & coffee and tea served by the waiter. I believe full price at Fresh for the buffet is $19.95 for adults. They also had an a la carte menu, but that was not offered to us on the comped breakfast and it seemed most people in the restaurant tended to go with the buffet.

It's definitely true that the staff is still getting a handle on how the plat breakfast is being implemented. I was told that by just about every front desk person who mentioned the topic, but it was, after all, only about two weeks after the perk was effective and I thought they did a great job with it.

Biz
Old Mar 26, 2012, 12:03 pm

Programs: HHonors, Delta
Originally Posted by BizNYC
ma91pmh,

The resort fee was waived at both the Swan and the Dolphin. At check-in we were told this proactively by the front-desk person and it never showed up on the bill. I had to use the higher speed wifi at the Swan and that did show up (six times) on the bill, but was removed immediately when I brought it to the attention of the front desk.
fthe perk was effective and I thought they did a great job with it.

Biz
We also had our resort fee waived at Dolphin this past weekend. An excellent amenity as far as I'm concerned. The desk clerk said he didn't know how long this practice would last, however.
Old Apr 14, 2013, 9:13 am

Programs: AA EXP/LT PLT
Thinking of staying at Swan or Dolphin for just 2 nights with my wife/kid(5 yo).

my plan is

1st evening/night : dinner at downtown Disney
2nd day: Magic Kingdom (9:00-15:00) + MGM( few hours in the evening)
3rd day: Magic Kingdom or MGM (until 3 PM)

We will take a taxi to/from airport as we may not use a car during our stay at WDW.

Taxi is ready in front of both hotels? or only Dolphin?
Old Apr 14, 2013, 11:16 am

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
For some reason, both hotels don't really use "taxis" but always says "it's going to be a bit of wait for a taxi but there is also a car service". There must be some kick-back but I didn't care as there didn't seem to be a $ difference between the car service and taxi.
Old Apr 14, 2013, 3:53 pm

Programs: Skywards Platinum

I just had from a 2-night stay at the Swan. Upgraded to a deluxe suite, which was a regular room connected to a huge living room/dining room, kitchen, and separate full bath/shower.

Was told resort few was waived, but it still ended up on the bill, which they removed when I checked out.

Buy-up to full buffet was $7/person.

Hotel was nice, but the next stay was at the Sheraton Vistana Villas which way wife preferred and the kids loved the pool area.

If the intent is to go to Disney, which was ours for the first 2-days, the Swan is very convenient.
Old Apr 15, 2013, 5:38 am

Programs: DL Gold; Bonvoy Gold; HHonors Diamond; Avis Preferred, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Braindrain
For some reason, both hotels don't really use "taxis" but always says "it's going to be a bit of wait for a taxi but there is also a car service". There must be some kick-back but I didn't care as there didn't seem to be a $ difference between the car service and taxi.
One of my pet peeves about these hotels. I ask for a taxi, I expect a taxi. Don't try to put me in a town car. Last trip I made it clear that I would wait for the taxi. One came in less than a minute.
Old Apr 15, 2013, 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by Braindrain
Originally Posted by jalves
One of my pet peeves about these hotels. I ask for a taxi, I expect a taxi. Don't try to put me in a town car. Last trip I made it clear that I would wait for the taxi. One came in less than a minute.
The S/D has its own, in-house car service. The price is only slightly higher than taxi, and WAY more comfortable. Unless you arrange for a taxi in advance, it's pure luck if you get one quickly. We always take the car service.

Cheers,

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.