Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Westin Fort Lauderdale Beach Resort opens spring 09 on site of Sheraton Yankee Trader

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westin Fort Lauderdale Beach Resort opens spring 09 on site of Sheraton Yankee Trader

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2008, 3:14 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

If some else posted this I missed it, but SPG.com lists a new Westin Fort Lauderdale Beach as opening Jan 2009?? Oddly enough the address and even the phone number is the same as the existing Sheraton Yankee Trader so I presume the change-over will be after some (extensive) refurbishment of the Yankee Trader.

Would have thought the best and most economical thing would be to blow up that awful old dump and start anew
But then it certainly wouldnt be open in early 2009.

Seems we getting some pretty crappy Westins via makeovers lately.
The Casauarina in Las Vegas and Harbour Island, Tampa, comes readily to
mind.

mike
Old Mar 23, 2008, 4:19 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by MIKESILV
Seems we getting some pretty crappy Westins via makeovers lately.
The Casauarina in Las Vegas and Harbour Island, Tampa, comes readily to
mind.
were the makeovers on those properties "lately"? haven't they both been westins for a while, at this point?

i won't indict westin for two poor conversions over the past few years.
Old Mar 23, 2008, 7:02 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum 1mm, Hilton Gold, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
The Westin is an all new property currently under construction
Old Mar 23, 2008, 7:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by MIFlyer

Where??
Old Mar 23, 2008, 7:56 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MIFlyer
Really? Are you trying to tell me ( or rather convince me ) that the Westin is currently under construction on the same site as the current Sheraton Yankee Trader, a hotel one can still book rooms until May 31, 2008.???

I doubt that site can accomodate two full sized properties and I rather doubt they could demolish the Trader and have a similar sized newly constructed hotel ready for occupancy in 8 months.

mike
Old Mar 23, 2008, 9:16 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hertz Gold
The only property under construction in that area is the W hotel.
Old Mar 24, 2008, 12:45 am
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: SPG
Hi everyone,

Let me clarify the details.

The address of the new Westin Fort Lauderdale Beach Resort is the address of the Sheraton Yankee Trader hotel, not W Fort Lauderdale.

However, whether it will be a refurnish work or rebuilt project, I do not have any confirmed details.

Sheraton Yankee Trader is still open for reservations as far as I know.

Thank you and have a nice day!

[email protected]
Old Mar 24, 2008, 1:26 am

Programs: SPG Platinum; Hyatt Platinum; UA 1K
Hopefully it is a rebuild if it is on the site of the yankee trader.

Its uninteresting structure to begin with (unlike the yankee clipper down-the street - which is charming in a route 66 kind of way), is run down and other than location, has few redeeming features.
Old Mar 24, 2008, 7:03 am
Suspended

Lurker II, thanks

I didn't think anything but the W was under construction.

I wonder what construction, MIFlyer, is talking about?
Old Mar 24, 2008, 10:18 am

I just stayed at the Yankee Trader last weekend. The W is being built right next door to the Hilton (not even a block north of the Yankee Trader) as is the Trump Towers building.

I had a couple complaints about the YT while I was there, so I voiced them to the manager on duty. She said she was aware of the typical complaints and that they are going through a major renovation project this year on the property.
Old Mar 24, 2008, 10:32 am

they need to plow the place down!
Old Mar 25, 2008, 7:40 am

The Sheraton Yankee Trader Hotel will close for a year and reopen as the Westin Fort Lauderdale Beach Resort in February 2009.

The hotel notified the state on Friday that it plans to lay off 218 employees on June 1, when the hotel will close for the $65 million renovation. A spokesman for the hotel said its sister property, the Sheraton Yankee Clipper Hotel, will stay open and that some employees may find jobs there.

The new Westin is to feature 433 guest rooms, 32,000 square feet of meeting space and a Heavenly Spa by Westin.

http://www.bizjournals.com/southflor...24/daily2.html
Old Mar 26, 2008, 9:50 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
According to the following link the hotel which is owned by Starwood Capital COULD also possibly be reflagged as a 1 Hotels and Residences which is Starwood Capital/Barry Sternlichts newest hotel brand. Blog report is purely speculative but anything is possible in the world of hotel branding!

http://passionsofazealot.wordpress.c...rt-lauderdale/

The 1 Hotels website lists Fort Lauderdale as a future location so this could be a quick and easy way to get a location there without too much effort and they own the building already.

http://www.1hotels.com/home.html

Starwood Hotels already lost two recent properties that were set to be Starwood Hotels to "new" Starwood Capital brands. The Renaissance Wailea Hotel which was rumored to become a W at first and then a St. Regis will now be the Baccarat Resort Wailea (http://www.baccaratwailea.com/) and the St. Regis Anguilla which is now also set to be a Baccarat Resort. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...light=anguilla

Last edited by christianj; Mar 26, 2008 at 10:02 am
Old Mar 26, 2008, 9:52 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by christianj
According to the following link the hotel which is owned by Starwood Capital COULD also possibly be reflagged as a 1 Hotels and Residences which is Starwood Capital/Barry Sternlichts newest hotel brand. Blog report is purely speculative but anything is possible in the world of hotel branding!

http://passionsofazealot.wordpress.c...rt-lauderdale/
But the "1 Hotel" brand is not affiliated with Starwood/SPG preferred guest program.
Old Mar 26, 2008, 10:04 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Originally Posted by Cheap Elite
But the "1 Hotel" brand is not affiliated with Starwood/SPG preferred guest program.
I realize that and what I was trying to point out is that the Fort Lauderdale property might not become a Westin after all. Pure speculation and yes...it would not be part of Starwood Hotels under the 1 Hotel & Residences and thus not part of the SPG program.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.