Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Promotional Rates : Starpicks [Master Discussion Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2007, 12:07 pm
Company Representative - Starwood
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Employee Level

The marketing gurus have asked that I make everyone aware of this new intiative regarding last-minute booking availability.

• Starpicks brings consumers last-minute hotel rates that are at least 20% off regular rates at properties in the world's most exciting destinations. These rates apply across Starwood’s unique range of brands: Sheraton, Westin, Four Points by Sheraton, W Hotels, St. Regis, The Luxury Collection, and Le Méridien.

• Starpicks launches every Tuesday and is bookable until Friday.

• It can be found at the following URL:

http://www.starpicks.com

• Stays are for this upcoming weekend for hotels and the next two weeks for resorts.

• Starpicks would be comparable to Marriott’s eBreaks, except in the following areas:

o eBreaks is available for weekend stays only, at any property that participates. Starpicks is available for weekends at hotels and all days of the week at resorts.
o eBreaks is not available for Marriott in Asia or Africa (so, it’s not truly global, whereas Starpicks is).
o eBreaks is only available via email, whereas Starpicks is available on Starwood websites (westin.com, Sheraton.com, fourpoints.com, spg.com, lobby.com).

• A maximum of 75 properties participate each week. Participating properties change each week, so consumers should check back to see who is on sale.

• The discount is a MINIMUM of 20% off regular rates. Properties can discount more if they wish.

Enjoy!

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders
Customer Service Coordinator
Starwood Preferred Services

[email protected]

Last edited by Starwood Lurker; Jan 16, 2008 at 12:21 pm Reason: fix url for Starpicks
Old Mar 15, 2007, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, UA LT Plat, Mar LTT
Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker
The marketing gurus have asked that I make everyone aware of this new intiative regarding last-minute booking availability.
Accidently ran across this enhancement last week. Seems to be a very good way to keep some of those rooms from being "pilfered" by Hotels.com/Priceline, and so forth. Good idea @:-)

Best, Dave
Old Mar 15, 2007, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
William,

How about a place where we can go sign up for weekly e mail alerts? @:-)
Old Mar 15, 2007, 12:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dhammer53
William,

How about a place where we can go sign up for weekly e mail alerts? @:-)
Not sure there is such a thing currently regarding last-minute availability, but I can suggest it. I know that we are already sending weekly emails to select members in select markets, however.

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]
Old Mar 15, 2007, 12:53 pm

Programs: UA 1P MM, SPG Lifetime Gold
Thanks for the heads up. William, can you confirm that booking one of these rates provides full stay credit and points?
Old Mar 15, 2007, 12:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PCTraveler
Thanks for the heads up. William, can you confirm that booking one of these rates provides full stay credit and points?
Yes. Any paid rate booked on one of our proprietary web sites earns Starpoints and stay credit.

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]
Old Mar 15, 2007, 1:10 pm

Programs: Starwoods/ Marriott Life Time Platinum, Hilton-Diamond, and HP
Thanks

William
Thanks for the update. You are great.
Old Mar 15, 2007, 1:45 pm

Programs: BA GGL (LTG), Marriott LT Titanium, EK Plat, Amex Cent
Cool idea!!
Old Mar 15, 2007, 2:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP; UA 1K, AS 75K, LT Titanium, Globalist
I believe I receive email updates from Starwood, but they don't contain the list, so you have to go and check anyway. I didn't sign up for them (other than the general opt-in).

BTW- A quick check shows princeville rates of 332 per night, that's pretty good, esp. if you can use one of the free night offers in conjunction.
Old Mar 15, 2007, 2:07 pm

Programs: SPG Gold
This is a great idea, now I can cross reference with all of the weekly fare alerts I get from the airlines and try to put together a last minute trip at a discount.
Old Mar 15, 2007, 2:10 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, United, SPG plat, Hyatt dia
William please pass this on---

Right now the "marketing gurus"at Marriott are making their elites feel like the dogs dinner of the hospitality buisness.Starwood does not need to include Marriott in any sort of comparission.
Old Mar 15, 2007, 2:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bigguyinpasadena
Right now the "marketing gurus"at Marriott are making their elites feel like the dogs dinner of the hospitality buisness.Starwood does not need to include Marriott in any sort of comparission.
LOL. Okay. I thought about leaving that part out. Obviously, I don't know much about Marriott, having been kicked around somewhat here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...eferrerid=417I thought it was all roses over there.

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]
Old Mar 15, 2007, 3:40 pm
Suspended

William , I dont mean to make this pick on William day.

I for one feel that your original post would have been 1000% better , had you simply posted the details of SPGs new deals and not hae mentioned or compared it at all to MRs.

Im 100% sure that SPGs deal will be better then MRs in some ways and that MRs will beat SPGs in others. But it doesnt make sense to try and compare them.

I would have rather read your 1st post about this new concept w/o any mention to EBreaks, or why it is better then EBs cause its not better in every way
Old Mar 15, 2007, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
craz,

Give William a break. He's just posting an I'm better than you comparison. I think that's fair. SL is allowed to brag a little. It's in his job description.

From the Starwood website...Starwood Lurker has the responsibility to toot the *wood banner in any way-shape- or form. Failure to do so will result in a suspension of his internet communications.
Just kidding.

still room in the tour linked below.
Old Mar 15, 2007, 4:05 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by dhammer53
craz,

Give William a break. He's just posting an I'm better than you comparison. I think that's fair. SL is allowed to brag a little. It's in his job description.

From the Starwood website...Starwood Lurker has the responsibility to toot the *wood banner in any way-shape- or form. Failure to do so will result in a suspension of his internet communications.

still room in the tour linked below.
I understood that. This way it opens it up for others to take SPG to task (although they would probably do so anyway) where they feel its not the case.

IMHO each program just like the Airlines have their Pros and Cons and why this one is better then the other one. Yet its not too often that you will see where 1 program will try and shoot down the other, at least if they are smart they wont, why cause they too can be shot down when comparing it to some others.

I would have liked it if SPG simply will stand on its own 2 feet and not try to stand up by trying to knock the others down.

Personally Im a Plat with SPG, Diamond with Hilton and Plat with Marriott. There are Pros and Cons to each program, and 1 program really isnt that much different from the others. Except maybe with SPG not having a lower level in Hotels such as HGI,CY Hampton,FIs etc or Extened Stay Hotels as Yet.

there are Cities/Countries where you might find only 1 of the 3 Chains or 2 at most, thats why I try and maintain status in all 3.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.