Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Kansas City Sheraton Overland Park Hotel [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Kansas City Sheraton Overland Park Hotel [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2005, 9:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: CO-Plat, SPG-Gold, Hilton-Gold, Hertz-5 Star
Arrow Kansas City Sheraton Overland Park Hotel [Master Thread]

Anyone with experience with this property? What can I expect as a Gold?
Old Jul 12, 2005, 10:20 am

Programs: UA 1P; Starwood Gold; Hyatt Diamond
Overland Park

Excellent Sheraton, quite modern. As a gold you may be upgraded to a corner (junior suite) but don't bet on it. There are quite a few golds who stay there. The only down side to the hotel is that they get a lot of convention traffic and as such the hotel can get booked out quickly.

To sum it up, one of the nicer Sheratons in the US, especially considering the price.
Old Jul 13, 2005, 5:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Great property with low rates in a very affluent area. Overland Park is on the south side of the KC metro area (on the Kansas state side) and is far from the airport.

As UpgradeMe has indicated, do a FT search and you'll find many, many topics on this property.
Old Jul 14, 2005, 8:48 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum (2.6 Million Miles), Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, & Hertz Platinum
I've stayed there many times last year. I agree, it's an excellent Sheraton Hotel for the price. I was gold last year and was consistently upgraded to a corner room. These rooms are slightly bigger, with a small type of entryway that leads to the bed area. Never tried the restaurant because there are too many better choices only blocks away. You must drive to get to the restaurants. The parking is far away and I don't suggest valet, not worth it. Always appeared to be a very corporate hotel with little kids present. Would definitely recommend this property.
Old Sep 18, 2006, 12:18 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, UA Gold/MM, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Diamond/Ambassador, Hyatt Explor
Kansas City Sheraton Overland Park Hotel, feedback?

Any feedback from this particular property? I did a search, but couldn't come up with anything.

Feedbacks on other SPG properties in KC will be appreciated as well.

Thanks.
Old Sep 18, 2006, 1:07 am

Programs: AA EXP
It's a nice enough property with free parking. However, there are no suites to upgrade to. SPG Plats get free internet access IIRC, and on weekends they give breakfast buffet vouchers since the club room is closed.

The Sheraton Suites is not bad, but not great, but I've had terrible experience with the Westin Crown Center -- specifically not getting the room type I reserved.

The Sheraton Suites and the Westin CC are close enough to be roughly interchangeable location-wise, but a pain in the behind if you want to be in the Overland Park (or farther south) area.

To be honest, the last few times I've been to KC (have family in Olathe and Lenexa) I've actually been using Priceline and getting the Radisson at 95th for $45/night (weekends) which is half the typical $99 rate at the Sheraton OP. I like status but it's just not worth it.

Steve
Old Sep 18, 2006, 8:05 am

Programs: SPG Plat, CO Gold, AA Plat, Marriott Silver, HH Gold, Citigroup Chairman
I stay at this property regularly. I have never used self-parking but I do not believe it's free. I usually Valet.

I have been upgraded about 80% of the time to a small one bedroom suite. It's fine. Typical Sheraton. Lounge is okay. If you're going to Sprint, it's just down the road.

They have a large conference center there..

There are some good restaurants not too far away. Otherwise, the hotel is just what you would expect from a decent US Sheraton. If you have any specific questions, please fire away.

I definitely prefer this hotel to the Westin Crown Center which has seen much better days.
Old Sep 18, 2006, 3:29 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, UA Gold/MM, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Diamond/Ambassador, Hyatt Explor
Originally Posted by jayzee9

I have been upgraded about 80% of the time to a small one bedroom suite. It's fine. Typical Sheraton. Lounge is okay. If you're going to Sprint, it's just down the road.

The other poster said there were no suites to upgrade to. Are the suites something new to this property?

How is the breakfast for platinums during weekends?

Thanks again.
Old Sep 18, 2006, 3:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
The Westin is definitely in need of a facelift. Right now, the entire place screams 1983. That said, I've never had any real problem there. My wife and I stay there 3-4 nights a year, mainly because of the location. Walking distance to the Crossroads, etc. It's about worth the 3,000 Starpoints. I've never actually paid the $129 plus tax or whatever they typically ask for it.

Sheraton Overland Park is a very new property and quite nice as a suburban hotel goes. Right now, it's probably the best full-service property in that part of the city. It is physically attached to the OP Convention Center and close to all of the businesses along College Boulevard, including Sprint and Yellow. Other full-service options out there are a Marriott and a Doubletree - both seem to me to be OK. I've stayed in each of them once. Only downside is that you are smack in the middle of American suburbia. Regarding parking, every time I've attended anything there, I've parked for free in the big Convention Center lot.

Sheraton Suites on the Plaza is probably the best of the bunch in terms of the combination of nice hotel and good location. Also tends to cost a few bucks more and is a category higher than the Westin (3 vs. 2).
Old Sep 30, 2006, 5:34 pm

Programs: Delta SILVER Medallion; Alaska Mileage Plan; HiltonHHonors GOLD; Starwoods GOLD
Shearaton Overland Park Hotel at the Convention Center

Calling all FT'ers, I'm heading to Overland Park, KS in a few weeks for a meeting planners conference (we get terrific room rates as meeting/event planners) and was curious what this property is like? I'm a HiltonHHonors Gold, but have started to accumulate some Starwood Points, as most of our recent conferences have been at Shearton Properties. Part of our meetings will be at the Convention Center. I'm staying on a couple extra days and am wondering if there is shopping, galleries, etc. within walking distance of this property? I won't be renting a car, will do a shuttle from MCI that the conference is arranging for us. Thanks!
Old Sep 30, 2006, 6:47 pm

As I recall there is virtually nothing of interest within walking distance. The hotel is nice enough, but it is in the middle of an office park with the convention center and a couple of (more downmarket) hotels.
Old Oct 1, 2006, 6:58 am

The property is very nice...

...based on my only stay a few years ago, which was less than a year after the hotel opened. I was platinum at the time, and my upgrade request at check-in granted my wife and I a very nice suite. Yes, it was a slow weekend night, but it was a great room. The GM also sent us bottle of Spanish cava (sparkling wine) with a nice note.

Overall the property seemed very nice - I recall it being the new style of Sheraton, closer to upscale Westins where I have stayed - but as noted above there isn't much in the immediate area to walk to. Overland Park has some terrific shopping and restaurants (a Dean & Decluca, the wonderful bistro 40 Sardines, etc.) but is suburban and not a pedestrian area. This Sheraton is perfect for convention center biz, though.

If you have extra time, I suggest you take another shuttle into the city (KC, Mo.) and stay around the Plaza area. You can walk to plenty of places in the area and see a nice part of the city. I once stayed here at an older Sheraton and it was nothing special but the location was great. I recall some Hilton properties and Marriott properties nearby along with one or two smaller boutique-style hotels.
Old Oct 6, 2006, 9:50 am

I lived in the OP Sheraton and OP Marriott for almost a year while I was working there on a project. Near the end of the project, I ended up switching to the Sheraton Suites Country Club Plaza because there is very little to do in Overland Park (at least compared to The Plaza).

If you have any questions about what to do in the area, feel free to post in this thread or send me a PM.
Old Aug 1, 2007, 3:37 pm

Sheraton Overland Park KS

Has anyone else stayed here recently?

I had the pleasure of being one of the first people to stay at this hotel, actually booking the same room for 80+ nights consecutively back when they opened a few years back. Granted, they rarely managed to get a bill correct in those days but at least the service was prompt and always with a smile.

I frequently travel to the same area and have been disappointed to find the quality of the staff, service and rooms has gone way down in the past year. Dirty rooms, rude and slow desk staff, not a smile to be found anywhere ...

Is this just my impression? I have been asked to recommend a nearby hotel for a rather large gathering and am wavering.
Old Aug 1, 2007, 3:42 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, CO Gold, AA Plat, Marriott Silver, HH Gold, Citigroup Chairman
Try Sheraton Suites

I have given up on the Sheraton Overland Park. It is your average Sheraton and there is nothing to do in the area at night. I have a customer in the area, but now opt to stay in the Country Club Plaza Sheraton Suites. It's a nice hotel and you can walk to several restaurants/bars/coffee shops/movies from this location. It's about a 20 minute drive to OP. There is some freeway construction going on, though, so YMMV.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.