Wiki Posts
Search

tip for room service?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2006, 6:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: POS, Delta Skymiles, IC Plat Amb., Hilton Gold, SPG gold
tip for room service?

do you all tip for room service? like the delivery person?

the rate shows 20% gratuity already added - i assume that is enough

i dont get room service often but it should be here in 10 mins

heh

thanks
Old Jan 16, 2006, 6:28 am
Suspended

Programs: UA-1K, Marriott-Gold, SPG-Gold, IC RA/Plat, Amtrak Select
If the tip is inclucded most of the time that is all I give. Sometimes they also add a delivery charge. If it is a holiday or the server is very nice I will add a few dollars.
Old Jan 16, 2006, 6:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: POS, Delta Skymiles, IC Plat Amb., Hilton Gold, SPG gold
man the guy wanted a tip "is that all sir?"

i said yes

pancakes, bagel for later, small oj and water - $34.50!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OMG
Old Jan 16, 2006, 2:59 pm

I would be interested in the practice of others on this matter.

Of course, room service food is overpriced. Universally, I believe.

And it seems common at *wood properties I frequent to add a service charge (19% or so) and a flat delivery charge ($3 or so.)

Fine.

Then when the bill is presented, there is a line for "Additional Gratuity."

I guess I am a coward: I nearly always add a couple of bucks on that line. Otherwise, why would they have the line?

Advice would be gladly received.

Thanks.
Old Jan 16, 2006, 3:13 pm

Programs: SWA, UA, Delta, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by observer
I guess I am a coward: I nearly always add a couple of bucks on that line. Otherwise, why would they have the line?

Thanks.
they have that extra line because they are hoping you don't notice the tip was already added in.

you shouldn't feel bad...unless that delivery person did something extra special for you, there is no need to double tip.
Old Jan 16, 2006, 3:14 pm

Programs: AC:E, SPG:PLAT, FPC:Premier, HH:G
Zeeeeero. The flat delivery charge of $3 + 20% is plenty IMHO. It's more than I'd tip in a restaurant, so why pay more than you need to for bad food?

...unless the food is delivered by a very attractive woman - then I'm a chicken - but it hardly ever is.
Old Jan 16, 2006, 3:24 pm

Programs: DL DM,Marriott Plat
Delivery charge + 20% automatically added. They already got their tip, so no more from me. If they do want/expect more, they'd better be back to provide free refills of my coffee or soda when my glass is empty.
Old Jan 16, 2006, 3:39 pm
In memoriam

Programs: Kimpton IC, Hyatt Diamond, Gold Marriott, Lifetime Platinum Starwood
A tip is for extra good service. Since the 19% and delivery charge are already included I never tip extra unless they have done something extra. After all - all they are doing is bringing the food up in the elevator from the kitchen and placing it on the desk
Old Jan 16, 2006, 3:49 pm

Programs: SWN, UAL, AA, DL
I usually add an extra tip of one or two dollars depending upon how nice the person is to me. This is what I tip a pizza delivery man.

Steve
Old Jan 16, 2006, 3:53 pm
DJZ

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Silver, former UA 1K, SPG AMEX addict
i think the hotels just hope we're all on expense accounts. at 19% and a delivery charge, there's no reason for the "tip" section to exist...except for me to cross it out and write the total underneath.
Old Jan 16, 2006, 4:12 pm

Location: MHT, DL DM & now KM!/ formerNW Plat /HH Diamond/SPG plat
Just put an asterisk (*) on the line for "Tip" and then put another one
next to where they have "service charge & delivery".

Old Jan 16, 2006, 4:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP
How about just circle the service charge and cross out the additional gratuity line?
Old Jan 16, 2006, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
I've always wondered -- but never enough to actually ask a hotel person -- whether the service charge does in fact take care of the person delivering? Do they see any of it? If they do I'd feel comfortable not adding a tip. If they don't I'd actually want to. But my own ignorance means I don't really know what to do...
Old Jan 16, 2006, 4:28 pm

Originally Posted by gleff
I've always wondered -- but never enough to actually ask a hotel person -- whether the service charge does in fact take care of the person delivering? Do they see any of it? If they do I'd feel comfortable not adding a tip. If they don't I'd actually want to. But my own ignorance means I don't really know what to do...

Yes, I would be very interested to know myself. I assume it varies from property to property.
Old Jan 16, 2006, 5:18 pm

Originally Posted by gleff
Whether it is without tact or what, I always ask this question--although my stays previous to now have always been at Marriotts. The majority have replied that they get most of it. Several have replied that they get it all. One lady replied that she got 10% of it because taking the food around was not her normal job.

So, at least at Marriotts, they do get taken care of. IMO, I don't think we need to be squeamish about asking this question.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.