Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Starwood Privilege programme Asia Pacific [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Starwood Privilege programme Asia Pacific [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2005, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 2MM/GS; SPG Lifetime Plat; MHC Lifetime; Tar Heel forever; and I "Dig the Pig" at Piggly Wiggly
Exclamation Starwood Privilege programme Asia Pacific [Master Thread]

In a thread about the St Regis Beijing, someone posted the following:

On the positive side, the St Regis Beijing does participate in the
Starwood Privilege programme which entitle members discounted
dining at the property.

Now, I thought that Starwood had finally realized how important I am and had already given me every benefit of every program!

But who knows about the Starwood Privilege program, what are the benefits, and why not me? Is this a gifted level, similar to UGS at United?

cheers
Old Dec 7, 2005, 11:52 am
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Here is one of many past threads on this subject that you may find helpful:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...eferrerid=4179

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders
Customer Service Coordinator
Starwood Preferred Services

[email protected]
Old Dec 7, 2005, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 2MM/GS; SPG Lifetime Plat; MHC Lifetime; Tar Heel forever; and I "Dig the Pig" at Piggly Wiggly
Thanks for the info. As always, FT is helpful.

I did not realize it was a programme focused on Asia. I've stayed at no more than 15 of those properties during the years, and then only on vacation.

I thought it was intesting that they do not list the membership prices. You have to fill out the application first.

Lurker.......happy holidays.
Old Dec 7, 2005, 2:00 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by kevinsac
...Lurker.......happy holidays.
LOL. Careful now. You might get accused of being anti-Christmas.

Happy Holidays to you and yours!

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders
Customer Service Coordinator
Starwood Preferred Services

[email protected]
Old Dec 7, 2005, 5:40 pm

Contrary to the posts above, I have been quite happy with the Starwood Privilege Program. However, I reside, and most of my stays occur, in Asia, and the rates given to me have been good. They are at least 10% off the BAR rates, and sometimes as much as 20% (even though the program officially states 10% off BAR). I don't do my bookings via the Privilege program website's booking engine. I just go directly onto spg.com and then enter the "PRV" code as the promotional code. That seems to work all the time. Of course, at checkin, I'm supposed to show the membership card, but no one has ever asked, so....

In addition, I make great use of the dining discounts. Usually, I dine as a party of 2-3, so the 50-33% off is a good savings. I have EASILY recouped the Privilege Program membership fee in the first 2 months of use.

The only negative point is that the card was supposed to be transferrable (as per Y2005 T&C). However, I just received a letter in the mail along with a redesigned card stating that the card was no longer transferrable.
Old Dec 7, 2005, 5:59 pm

Programs: United GS, Fairmont Platinum,SPG LTPlat, Hilton Diamond, MarriottGold..like the rest of the world
anyone remember the Sheraton Platinum Privilege in the US?

Right before the *wood days when SCI ruled the roost. Man, I loved that program -- all corporately owned properties participated (Sheraton owned) and perhaps others did, too.

Some of the details now escape me, but essentially for something like $100 a year, one received a FREE NIGHT at any of the properties, plus (I think) a SCI50 award for another night and then a punchcard for BOGO meals in any of these hotel restaurants for any meal. That was a steal! I remember using this at the former (and plenty nice) Sheraton Conquistador in Tucson where the program was coordinated and run and the Sheraton MSY on Canal St -- also a great dinner oceanfront at the Sheraton Bal Harbour where we had some of the best calamari of our lives.

Sure wish they'd bring it back!
Old Dec 8, 2005, 7:49 pm

Programs: Darth Vader of AMEX, A ladys best friend of Hilton, Pt78 of SPG, *G ,*S, ANA VIP
different programms

i checked on several of this memberships.

australia seems to be good value getting this asia pacific vouchers.

different countries different prices???

and different benefits?? this is just confusing...

dp
Old Dec 9, 2005, 12:58 am
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
I too agree that the new scheme is much harder to use than the old one - and I had a few problems with that.

My view is that the new scheme is almost impossible to use and often renders much higher rates than are available via the web site.

I won't be renewing in 2006.
Old Dec 14, 2005, 9:40 am

Programs: Starwood, Delta, and AA
Outside US Only

I got all excited and checked out the website immediately....then found out it was for outside the US....then was sad ...then read the rest of the posts...and now I don't care anymore!
Old Feb 19, 2006, 12:48 pm

Programs: SQ PPS Solitaire - BA GGL - AF Plat - LH Senator - EK Gold
Originally Posted by crimyla
I got all excited and checked out the website immediately....then found out it was for outside the US....then was sad ...then read the rest of the posts...and now I don't care anymore!
well, it's not only outside US, it's acutally only for residents of Asian countries.. I do find this very user unfriendly and this might be a reason why I won't move my business to SPG at all. I was actually planning to move major part of my business to SPG from Hyatt. But since I'm used to "Club at Hyatt", a 50% off for dinning programme, I was very positive to the privilege Starwood programme, which is basiclly the same like Club at Hyatt.

But after finding out that I have to be resident of any of those participating Asian countries, I thing I won't move lot of my business over to SPG since this benefit is crucial to me (dining quite often with clients all over the Greater China region..)
Old Feb 19, 2006, 8:31 pm

Programs: LH SEN , UA 1K, SPG Platinum, HH Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Silver, GHA Black
Sign-up

Does anyone know how to sign-up in different countries? i am currently signed up in Australia but I never use the coupons bc I never visit Australia - are there any Privilege programms in China or Hong Kong? ( iheard there is one in Thailand)

Thanks
Old Feb 20, 2006, 12:19 am

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
This is a disgrace to *wood. It is poorly run, as mentioned - contracted out - with no oversight or apparently accountability to *wood.
It is NOT just for residents of Asian countries (altho the participating prop are all Asia/Pacific). The rules are made up "on the spot" by unknowledge workers who are almost impossible to contact - at least in Malaysia. It is poorly advertised and many participating hotels don't have a clue how to join or who to contact to get that information.

That said - it can be a good deal (esp if you eat at the part. hotel's restaurants as 2 or more people b/c 2 people get a 50% discount, but a single only gets a 20% discount - no matter how much they eat ) If *wood puts their name to it I would wish they would exercise more "quality control" AND if you can actually USE the free night (there apparently are capacity controls even when the hotel is relatively empty), etc.
Old Feb 20, 2006, 10:08 am

Programs: It's Complicated...
Originally Posted by UA 100K
Does anyone know how to sign-up in different countries? i am currently signed up in Australia but I never use the coupons bc I never visit Australia - are there any Privilege programms in China or Hong Kong? ( iheard there is one in Thailand)

Thanks
You can email this address for info on the one being sold from Thailand, [email protected]. They will send you an application form and a documetn with the details.
Old Feb 20, 2006, 10:15 am

Programs: It's Complicated...
I had a different experience with the card and sign up process than some others, more positive. I was told when I signed up that if I didnt live in Asia the card may not be beneficial and that I should review the benefits before making a decission. I had already reviewed the benefits and was interested. I bought the Australian version and although I will probably be trading or giving away my coupons to some other members I have gotten my mony back in discounts and food. Me and my wife eat the hotels we stay in a lot....so the 50% savings is huge for us. Yes there are times when promo rates are better than the "best available rate" - 10% but I have gotten savings on rooms as well and since I do not book prepaid rates it sometimes gives me a flexible rate close to some of the pre paid rates.

It may not be fore everyone....read the benefits of what you are getting and decide for yourself but it has been a good program for me.
Old Nov 21, 2006, 8:54 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by estnet
The rules are made up "on the spot" by unknowledge workers who are almost impossible to contact - at least in Malaysia.
I almost renewed my membership today but after an unpleasant conversation with the manager (new team based at Westin KL), I decided not to renew eventhough it would work for me. She was unhelpful, obnoxious, rude, loud and has no idea how Starwood reservation system works.

It used to be quite a good programme and well marketed when I first enrolled in 2000 at the Sheraton Imperial KL .........

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.