Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Charleston Airport Hotel, SC [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sheraton Charleston Airport Hotel, SC [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2002, 3:23 pm
Original Poster

Arrow Sheraton Charleston Airport Hotel, SC [Master Thread]

Would appreciate any comments from anyone with recent stays at this Category 1 hotel. I just booked an award stay for late March.
Old Dec 14, 2002, 8:21 pm

Programs: Delta, UA, SPG
I stay here a couple times of here. Not bad - Not great.

If I remember right my last trip in August/September they were remodeling the rooms and lounge. Not a terrible lot around that area but it is convienent to the airport.

The Westin (Francis?) down by the historic district is wonderful!!

Edited to add: If you are taking the shuttle to the airport don't expect departures to be as scheduled. I arrived at the lobby 7 minutes early for a shuttle and was told that it had left already. I asked about the timing and was told "all the clocks are different - she'll be back in 10 minutes. 22 minutes later I was finally on my way concerned about the security line at CHS - it was terribly long as expected - just made final boarding call.

[This message has been edited by ME1st (edited 12-14-2002).]
Old Dec 16, 2002, 12:19 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
I've stayed here three times over the past few months (including just last Thursday night) and it's okay. The public areas are very nice, but the rooms definitely need a freshening.

The big plus is they have those comfy new Sheraton beds!

Considering I usually get a AAA rate of $71/night during the week with a free buffet breakfast, you should definitely check the rates before spending the points!
Old Dec 16, 2002, 12:22 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
BTW, this hotel does have a Club Floor, which they've always put me on (once without asking, the other two times I just had to ask) and the Lounge has decent evening snacks and breakfast, including a daily "happy hour" with free alocoholic beverages (5:30 - 6:30 I believe, I've never gotten in early enough to take advantage of though).
Old Jan 20, 2003, 11:41 am

Any plans for Charleston

With the departure of the Francis Marion from the Starwood family, the only Starwood alternative in the area is the Sheraton North Charleston. After my recent disapointing stay, all I can say is that I won't be returning and I would think that that hotel will soon be a 4 Points or worse.

Does anyone know if Starwood is planning to acquire or manage another good property in Charleston?

Thanks.
Old Jul 10, 2005, 10:32 pm

Programs: MR PL, Hyatt GP Diamond, HH Gold, UA Silver, WN A-LIst, National EE
Does anyone have an update on this property. I am planning a two-night weekend reward stay at the end of July. This is usually high season for this area, and I would much prefer to part with my points than my $$$ and use the money for good eatin', like Jestine's.

If I understand correctly, I would be able to use 4,000 points for two weekend nights, get back 500 of those as my plat welcome amenity -- making a two-night, high season stay only 3,500 points. That seems like a decent deal, unless the hotel is an absolute (Austin 4P-esque) dump.

I will be traveling with a pretty low maintenance buddy, who when spending his own cash is not averse to staying at a Motel 6, so this doesn't have to be The Plaza.

Thanks, in advance, for your help.

Stevekoe
Old Jul 11, 2005, 12:23 pm

I have stayed here a couple times over the last year, mainly for nights/stay credit and then switched to the Renaissance downtown by the market as that is closer to my client and to the restaurants. They recently finished remodeling the lobby and public areas, so they are pretty nice. However, the rooms do leave a lot to be desired and room service is not very good. Also, there is very little around the hotel. It definitely is not very close to the downtown area. As a platinum, I have been upgraded every time I have stayed. The staff is pretty friendly and accomodating.

I frequently was able to get the room for around $75 - $80 (AAA rates), so I would save the points for somewhere nicer or more expensive.
Old Jul 11, 2005, 1:28 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HH Gold
I stay at this property a few times each year, mainly for business purposes. I have been upgraded about 50%, although I am only at the gold level. The rooms are fine, but the location is the biggest drawback if you are trying to enjoy the "historic/downtown area" as you would have to drive and then try to find parking.
Old Jul 11, 2005, 10:01 pm

Originally Posted by TPA_Flyer
I frequently was able to get the room for around $75 - $80 (AAA rates), so I would save the points for somewhere nicer or more expensive.
As this is a summer weekend in Charleston, the best rate I have found for this hotel is about $119/night. That works about to be 1.5 cents per point return on the award night. That doesn't seem like such a poor redemption rate. I saw one guy value Marriott points on their board at about a penny/ea. -- so, if a MR point is a penny, I would think that 1.5 is not so bad for SPG, no?

If we are going to be in Charleston, I am not going to worry about poor room service at the hotel. There is just too much good stuff to eat in town. If we are a little ways away, that won't be too inconvenient.

Thanks for the updates, folks.

Stevekoe
Old Aug 30, 2005, 8:40 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, UA LT Ag, Marriott LT Ti, Hyatt Glob, Avis PC, Busted-Knuckles Club Grand Poobah.
well, I'm there right now and I'm not happy. the first room they gave me on the club floor was stifling and smelled of cat pee. I asked for another and was offered one next door, but then I asked if there was a suite. Yes there was, on the sixth floor. so why wasn't I given the suite in the first place? even this room has a broken AC unit in the bedroom which "engineering" is supposedly checking out as I type in the bar. so we'll see.

the rooms are tired and grubby, to reiterate what's already been said. The suite is OK in the living room with decent furniture (but no desk) but the bedroom looks just like the cat-pee-smelling one I rejected. at least it doesn't smell like cat pee

the halls are really hot and sticky too. ugh.

I give it a three. I thought the Winnipeg Sheraton was ratty but this one's worse.

Last edited by born sleepy; Aug 30, 2005 at 8:59 pm
Old Sep 1, 2005, 3:10 pm

I had a pretty positive experience there. It is not the shiniest new Sheraton, nor does it claim to be. It is a convention area hotel with not much else in the North Charleston area. But, it is only about a 15 minute drive to downtown, which I found to be pretty convenient.

Maybe I just got lucky, or had lower expectations, but I found nothing wrong with this hotel, and found the staff to be quite accommodating. I would stay there again, if the price was right.

Stevekoe
Old May 4, 2008, 2:31 pm

Programs: Starwood life Plt, AA Gold.,Delta . ,Priority Plat,IC Ambassador
Sheraron North Charleston Stay Report

Greetings:
Stayed on 05/26/08, a Sat,one night. I am Plat.
Price 180++, highest I have ever paid (Did not check bill until home) In the past price here has run from a low of 79 to 149.00, don't know why it came in so high this stay..my fault.

Parking: C
Check in: A
Upgrade: F
Room: C
Club: C or -C
Internet: A
GiftShop: F
Pool: A
Dinnig Room: C (Service A)
Room Service: C
Bar: ?
Gym: ? (They do have one)
Service: B
Over all: C+

Location: Right off I 26, can see hotel from highway, 15 min. from downtown and 15 min from airport.

Parking: Average hotel outside parking

Checkin: Nice greeting,cheerful,professional, my Plat. folder all set, took time to tell us about club hours, local eating place, recieved "the 500" Five min+
check in.

Upgrade: I have only recived a suite one time out of 10 or so stays.No chance tonight due to two weddings. I have also noticed that a number of folks are taking a cruise the next day, when we stay on a weekend.They put you on the SPG Floor thus no upgrade.

Room: Your average SPG floor room, nothing special but nothing bad. It did have free internet. One bottle of H2O

Club: Small ,on 8th Floor, seats 13 by count,PM two free drinks (Wine or beer) sode,water two hot snacks (Warm), other finger stuff, AM decent cold cont. breakfast, Hours 5-8PM and 6-9AM Service average.

Pool: Indoor - outdoor, good for kids, not bad over all, the sitting area has the best furniture I have seen in a long time....excellent!^^^

Dinning Room: Nothing special, food was fine,price not that bad and service was excellent.

Bar: Sport bar...did not use

"Gym"; Did not use

Room Service: Did not use this stay but in past has been OK, no problems and price about what you would expect at a Sheraton

Note: They offer a shittle in to CT with a pick up...last pick up around 10PM I think. Very nice if you want to drink...but early night. Also have van running to airport, I don't know if it is pick up.^^^^^

Thats it.....enjoy your stay...............

Last edited by SanDiego1K; May 4, 2008 at 5:14 pm Reason: dupe
Old May 4, 2008, 6:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Lifetime / Annual Titanium; Massively Missing Starwood
I've been wondering about this hotel for a while...thanks for the report.
Old May 4, 2008, 9:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 2MM/GS; SPG Lifetime Plat; MHC Lifetime; Tar Heel forever; and I "Dig the Pig" at Piggly Wiggly
I have stayed at this property several times. But only upon a late arrival at the airport or before an early departure.

It is such an "average" property, and so far away from downtown (with very little to do in the North CHS area), I will stay downtown or IOP or similar instead of at this property.
Old May 5, 2008, 6:14 am

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Lifetime / Annual Titanium; Massively Missing Starwood
The distance from downtown is the sole reason I've not stayed here before. It is amazing to me that Starwood has so little in this town. There are Hiltons and Marriotts in the heart of the city but ever since the Westin went away (still there, just not a Westin) Starwood has missed out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.