Wiki Posts
Search

It's here! The energy surcharge.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2001, 10:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA LTG, AA LTG, Bonvoy LTP, IHG Plat, LHW Sterling
It's here! The energy surcharge.

Just looked up a weekend rate at the Westin Salishan Lodge in Oregon and in addition to the $6.00 resort fee... there it was... a $2.50 energy surcharge!
Old Mar 7, 2001, 11:05 pm

This is B.S. If they need to raise their rates, so be it. that's fine. but a SURCHARGE? give me a huge freakin break.
Old Mar 7, 2001, 11:35 pm
KC

Programs: Southwest A; Marriott Platinum
So the NW is finally feeling the burn? I saw the energy surcharge ($2, IIRC) at the Westin Long Beach about a month ago. I'm not so opposed to it (of course, I wasn't paying for the trip). I'm guessing that the hotels that add it are hoping it will be a temporary increase rather than a full rate increase.
Old Mar 8, 2001, 12:54 am
Suspended

That is what I read also, that it was temporary due to the "energy crisis" in the West.
Old Mar 8, 2001, 5:06 am
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
ATTN: STARWOOD!

Stop adding silly 'surcharges'. Just increase the room rate $5-$10 where needed and be done with it. There's a huge disparity in all the available rates at any given property anyway. If the energy rates fall, then take the rate back down.

I'm sure you can see, after reading these message boards, that people absolutely despise being nickle and dimed after believing they are paying one rate for a room, but then being hit with add-ons.
Old Mar 8, 2001, 8:40 am

Picture this. You have two choice, say, a Westin and a Marriott. You do a just simple calling around, and the Westin is 300 dollars. The Marriott is 290. You go to book the 290, then get told of the $10 resort fee. The hotels have done research that shows that you will book the Marriott, because the rate is lower, not thinking about the other fees.

I agree, I would much rather see everything in one package, inclusive of taxes and everything. A lot of big resorts do this (Westin Rio Mar comes to mind) The rate is 1000 dollars for three nights, and comes with these ammenities. The hotel will split it up on their level, such and such room rate, this goes for transportation. You dont see that, you just see the price.

Starwood does not want to create a discrepancy in their rates, and the rates of other hotels.
Old Mar 8, 2001, 10:58 am

I saw in the SF Chronicle a couple of weeks ago that the Westin St. Francis has also added the $2.50 surcharge to the guestroom bill, also I have heard that many restaurants in SF are raising entree prices $1-2 dollars due to energy bills that have doubled esp. natural gas.
Old Mar 8, 2001, 2:08 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, WN CP, Latin Pass Bonus
Maybe they need to advertise the rooms at $35 per night. Then surcharges for:
Bed $15
Towels, etc. $10
Furniture $20
Maid Service $10
Utilities $5

Then they could compete with Motel 6 on Price and still make money!
Old Mar 8, 2001, 9:39 pm

When it's charged separately... it sounds optional. I've heard people can avoid resort fee if they refuse it at check-in. Maybe the same thing for energy surcharge? Please turn off the light and heat in my room, I just need cold running water.

Let's see if they are able to do that to individual room. If not, they might have to shut the power down on whole floor. That way, they cannot charge you since you didn't require electricity and heat and they provide it anyway.
Old Mar 8, 2001, 9:45 pm

As a loyal Starwood platinum member I completely agree that an energy surcharge is outrageous. I also suspect it's a way of raising rates with corporations who have otherwise locked it prices.
Old Mar 9, 2001, 12:06 am

I have NO problem with businesses raising rates when their costs go up. for that matter, I have no problem with businesses raising rates even if their costs DON'T go up. If the market will support it, more power to them. What I have a problem with is the backhanded nature of SURCHARGES. You don't normally find out until you show up, locked in, that you'll be charged this new fee. It's not a part of the advertized rate. It's like bait and switch. Like a grocery story marking one price on the shelf, and once you've loaded up your cart with what you need, telling you they're charging you 10% extra for use of the cart.
Old Mar 9, 2001, 10:15 am

Programs: UA/1K, DL/PM, AA/PLT, NW/SLV; SW/PLT, HH/DIA
I think Hobson's right -- this way they can get the contract-rate guests. Oftentimes, 30%+ of the guests in a hotel will be on contract rates, which the hotel can't just raise whenever it feels like it.

The hotel can, however, add surcharges...
Old May 25, 2001, 1:37 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
While my recent stay(5/25) at the SFO Gateway airport hotel was a very nice one in terms of comfort, amenities, etc. I was a bit dismayed to see a $2.50 energy charge, plus $.25 energy surcharge tax, as well as a $1 tourism assesment charge(local tax).

So - when checking my bill on the TV menu and seeing these charges, I went back to my email confirmation from Starwood from the reservation back in mid-April. It noted my rate, and a 10% state tax. Nothing else.

So, I logged into the starwood.com website and did a search for the Sheraton Gateway SFO. The web page, too, only stated the 10% state tax under the heading 'taxes and other charges'. I printed both my reservation confirmation and this starwood web page and took them to the front desk for my checkout.

When I got my printed bill and saw those 'other' charges that were never disclosed to me, I politely informed the clerk that I was not made aware of these charges at any point prior to or during my stay. She got the desk manager, who agreed to remove the energy charge, but not the tourism assessment charge. Granted - it's $3, but the principle stands - this property needs to clearly state all the charges on the web page and reservation confirmation.

I showed her the printouts, and she said she'd make sure the web page was updated, but still did not budge on the tourism assessment charge. It's not worth it for me to fight for $3, but it definitely left a sour taste in my mouth about this company.

I will reiterate what others have said - ADD THE ENERGY CHARGE TO THE ROOM RATE. It's taxed like anything else on the bill, so I don't understand why the base rates are not simply adjusted.
Old May 25, 2001, 3:56 pm

Location: KEWR / SPG Plat, HH Diamond, DL Plat, ZE 5*, AA Plat, UA Nobody
Originally posted by SAPMAN:
[B]Maybe they need to advertise the rooms at $35 per night. Then surcharges for:
Bed $15
Towels, etc. $10
Furniture $20
Maid Service $10
Utilities $5
B]
Going back a few weeks....how about:

Room Charge.....35 dollars
Lock on door.....17 dollars
Light switch....21 dollars
Place to put your suitcase....8 dollars
Lights that work....48 dollars
Bed with pillows.....56 dollars
Sitting on the toilet with a 5 dollar surcharge and taking a dump.....PRICELESS

Old May 28, 2001, 7:32 pm
Original Member

Programs: Hilton: Gold, Starwood: Platinum, Hyatt: Platinum, AS: MVP Gold
Amazingly, the "place to put your suitcase" isn't that far off. I just checked out of the Hilton NY and there is a mandatory charge of $2 per piece for checking items at the bell desk.

First time I've run into that. Amazing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.