Wiki Posts
Search

Hotel Hopping

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2013, 10:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Tit, Hyatt Diamond, AA EXP, UA Silver, IHG Plat
Hotel Hopping

This question is directed to Gold and Plat members. Do you find a difference in your treatment when you are staying at a place for one night versus two, three or more? I just made platinum, through the challenge, and thought I would ask.

My reasoning goes like this. If I am staying for one night, versus 7, then it's more likely there will be a suite available for that one night than for 7 consecutive nights. On the other hand, if I am there longer, then perhaps they will value my stay more and try to ensure I receive better overall service. So, while I may not get as much of an upgrade, I would be given all my plat amenities, without having to ask (as I understand is often the case).

If it matters, I have an upcoming trip in the UAE, and I enjoy hotel hopping. I get to see different parts of the city and I can choose the lowest rates for each night. It is sort of a pain, but worth it imo. I have already made plat this year and am not trying to inflate my stay count.
Old Jul 31, 2013, 10:48 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by drewp123
This question is directed to Gold and Plat members. Do you find a difference in your treatment when you are staying at a place for one night versus two, three or more? I just made platinum, through the challenge, and thought I would ask.

My reasoning goes like this. If I am staying for one night, versus 7, then it's more likely there will be a suite available for that one night than for 7 consecutive nights. On the other hand, if I am there longer, then perhaps they will value my stay more and try to ensure I receive better overall service. So, while I may not get as much of an upgrade, I would be given all my plat amenities, without having to ask (as I understand is often the case).

If it matters, I have an upcoming trip in the UAE, and I enjoy hotel hopping. I get to see different parts of the city and I can choose the lowest rates for each night. It is sort of a pain, but worth it imo. I have already made plat this year and am not trying to inflate my stay count.
Here is some previous discussion:
Is it worth hotel hopping for the 500 pt plat amenity?
Crazy SPG hotel hopping experiences

I find no difference. If I'm in a city for the first time, I hotel hope to see which property I would like best.

I generally think there are a lot of variables, when it comes to upgrades, but I think one night stays increase your chance.

As a leisure traveler, I hotel hop to work toward platinum and the 500 amenity per check-in helps.
Old Jul 31, 2013, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
I don't think I've been treating differently from an attitude, service level, etc. perspective. But the basic math/numbers say there's a better likelihood of 1 night suite availability than multiple consecutive nights.
Old Jul 31, 2013, 2:46 pm

Programs: SPG LT Plat, Hilton G,Priorty Club G, AC E
The only thing thats happened on longer stays is...

...they might move me to a better room/suite on night 2 or 3 if one comes available.
Sometimes you check in and there isn't much inventory.
They will just block the better room for you as soon as it come available.
I've had this happen at vacation properties when we are staying a week.
Old Jul 31, 2013, 3:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: ゴールデングローブ
Originally Posted by drewp123
This question is directed to Gold and Plat members.
Right buddy, so it is directed to me! I suggest NOT to hotel hopping because it is bad for the environment! Think about this!
Old Jul 31, 2013, 4:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TallestHotelInJapan
Right buddy, so it is directed to me! I suggest NOT to hotel hopping because it is bad for the environment! Think about this!
It's complete fine. I buy carbon off-sets for all my travel
Old Jul 31, 2013, 5:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HomerJ
...they might move me to a better room/suite on night 2 or 3 if one comes available.
Sometimes you check in and there isn't much inventory.
They will just block the better room for you as soon as it come available.
I've had this happen at vacation properties when we are staying a week.
Will they put it in their notes to check each day, or do you have to kind of stay on top of them to see that its done?
Old Jul 31, 2013, 5:56 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

The majority of my stays are business related and I have no desire to pack up my belongings every night and move hotels just for the fun of it. Since I am traveling for business I don't "need" a suite and don't go beg at the desk for one even though it is in the T&C. I want a room with a good layout and if I will be entertaining clients I wouldn't be taking them to my hotel because I am not a hooker.

I have occasionally left hotels after one night (was supposed to be a multi-night stay) because I found the hotel unacceptable (4pts Pittsburgh) and moved to a more suitable property.
Old Jul 31, 2013, 5:58 pm

Originally Posted by KENNECTED
If I'm in a city for the first time, I hotel hope to see which property I would like best.
A most appropriate Freudian slip!

Cheers,
Old Jul 31, 2013, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TallestHotelInJapan
I suggest NOT to hotel hopping because it is bad for the environment! Think about this!
Except that if, because of not hotel hopping, you don't get Plat status (getting SPG plat can take twice as many nights if you don't hotel hop), and so every day you drive somewhere to eat breakfast instead of getting breakfast free in the lounge, that ends up being bad for the environment too!

And how exactly is it bad for the environment???

If you don't decline housekeeping, then your room gets the same number of housekeeping servicings each day whether you stay one day or many days.

If you have to leave to go to work every day anyway, and the other hotel is the same distance away, there's no additional driving related to hotel hopping. You take your stuff with to work, then after work to the other hotel.

If you agree to get your hotel statements electronically (does every SPG hotel support that?), then you don't even have environmental waste of that extra folio every night under your door.

And, if intsead of hotel hopping, you have to spend more nights in SPG hotels to get Plat status, and to spend more nights you have to do mattress runs like you were talking about in the other thread, then that's the supreme waste of the environment! So in that example case, it would have been less wasteful of the environment for your friend to have hotel hopped to Plat status in 25 one-night stays than to have to have (tried to) mattress run a 7-night stay for no other purpose than to get that status.
Old Jul 31, 2013, 6:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I'm waiting for someone to claim that SNAs are bad for the environment.
Old Jul 31, 2013, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by prncess674
The majority of my stays are business related and I have no desire to pack up my belongings every night and move hotels just for the fun of it.
No one does it for the fun of it. If I hadn't done it, I'd have 3 years toward my LT PLT status, so at least 7 years to go. Instead, I'll be there by the end of the year.
Old Jul 31, 2013, 9:02 pm

Programs: AA Plat + SPG Plat
Question

<deleted by author>

Last edited by coastalguy; Aug 1, 2013 at 1:17 am
Old Jul 31, 2013, 9:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I'm waiting for someone to claim that SNAs are bad for the environment.
That SNA's cause global warming was decisively decided here:

www.flyertalk.com/forum/imaginary_thread.php
Old Jul 31, 2013, 9:07 pm

Programs: M&M FQT, BA G, Bonvoy LTT, WoH GLOB
Hotel Hopping

+1 that hopping is bad for the environment, and for me one reason to avoid it. People here should be able to figure out the why, but I am not surprised that this comment received the replies it did.

That said, if you don't get to 50 nights then you need to hop for the stay count.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.