Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Le Meridien, Abu Dhabi, UAE United Arab Emirates [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Le Meridien, Abu Dhabi, UAE United Arab Emirates [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2012, 9:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: Star Alliance Gold, Skyteam E+, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Arrow Le Meridien, Abu Dhabi, UAE United Arab Emirates [Master Thread]

Surpised to see that this hotel don't have it's own master thread as well, along with the Sheraton Deira.

Staying here now, on a cheapish beatthetimer-rate, and were upgraded to a deluxe suite on the 3rd floor. Sure, the hotel is not uber-renovated, as others state, but it is a nice hotel. Nice and warm.

My suite is large and not that outdated, everything is in working order: large bathroom with separate shower and tub, large living room with dining area and a large bedroom with lots of drawers and walk in closets. Two separate balconies are also attached.

The hotel grounds are beautiful - 3 swimming pools, a large private beach (sure, the beach look into construction work on the other side, but who cares? The beach are clean and well kept), pool bar, there are also parrots and turtles on the hotel grounds.

There are several bars and restaurants to chose from, at least 10-12 outlets. I tried the Italian eatery and tbe British pub, both were nice.

The Royal Club is a nice place to have a drink. Soft drinks, coffee and snacks all day long. Breakfast in the morning. And happy hours from 7PM till 9PM. They have some sandwiches and two hot dishes during happy hour. Beer, wine and hard liqour as well (I think I counted like 19 different sorts of hard liqour).

The location is very good - Abu Dhabi mall with it's food court, cinema and 250 stores are 200 metres away.

Staff are eager to please. Some of them are pretty clueless, but at least they do their best.

Given 9PM check-out without any hassle Huge plus point!

I have no idea why most people seem to "hate" this hotel, maybe I dont have very high standards, but I think this is a very good hotel and a GREAT value. I will definately return to this hotel when visiting Abu Dhabi.

Bad: no wifi in the room....
Old Jun 6, 2012, 3:46 pm

fully agree with you - a nice hotel with some patina and a great garden and restaurant area...
Old Dec 15, 2012, 8:18 am
Suspended

Programs: ゴールデングローブ
Which bus goes from the Abu Dhabi airport to the Le Meridien Abu Dhabi?
Old Sep 21, 2013, 9:04 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
I sure hope they have wifi now!

btw, how is the location? Did you think the Westing or aLoft had better locations for some reason? Not sure how easy/hard it is to get around Abu Dhabi.
Old Sep 21, 2013, 9:56 am

Programs: EK Gold, SK*G, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
I sure hope they have wifi now!

btw, how is the location? Did you think the Westing or aLoft had better locations for some reason? Not sure how easy/hard it is to get around Abu Dhabi.
Westin is located close to the airport and 20km from downtown, Aloft is connected to the conference centre and 10km from downtown. Le Meridien is definitely a better location (unless the above fits your needs) but needs some refurbishment soon...
Old Dec 26, 2014, 7:18 am

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Any updates on this property?

Got a good rate and then was offered an upgrade for 100 AED to a club room with club access, breakfast in the restaurant, plus 250 points per night, which seems cheap.
Old Apr 14, 2015, 4:02 pm

Programs: AA PPro BA Bronze SPG Gold HH GLD Hyatt Exp
Any recent stays here? I was eyeing this property for the middle of June.
Old Apr 14, 2015, 6:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by saltytheseagull
Any recent stays here? I was eyeing this property for the middle of June.
Going back there next week - for 5 nights. Will report back.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 1:20 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
Stayed here a couple of months ago and reported my thoughts in another thread.

I found the rooms quite lacking and old, same goes with lobby etc which are 1-2 notches below Le Royal Méridien.

What this property has going for itself is a lot of F&B outlets and a man-made beach.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 5:44 am
E1A

Programs: Hyatt, Starwood, Ritz, Accor, Hilton, Etihad, Emirates
Hi,

This property is a bit old.
Has an exceptional spa complex that is relatively new and is built like a cave with hot springs

It is a very very lively hotel due to its F&B venues, sports bars, Irish bar, beach lounge and club. Attracts a ton of non hotel guests.

Very central location in downtown Abu Dhabi and close to the Reem business district.
Adjacent to a big mall with cinemas, more restaurants and large deprament and grocery stores.

Lounge is small, often crowded but adequate.

Again a tired property but still super popular and often great value for money
Sheraton nearby is almost identical in every way except Spa isn't as good, it's not as lively and the rates are a sliver higher.

Royal Meridien is newer (total age) and fresher (recently renovated comprehensively) and has its own Irish bar and is also quite lively and very central as well. Rates are usually on par with Sheraton (they're walking distance from each other) but LRM has no beach if that's what you are after.

If you can stretch a bit, stay at the St.Regis Corniche. Phenomenal spa and beach club, phenomenal lobby and views, also attached to a mall, right on the promenade but unless you have a corporate or HotEsc rate, it is usually twice as much. With a corporate, summer or HotEsc rate, it can often be just 50 USD above the LM/LRM/Sheraton.

They don't have a lounge but will offer drinks in their full bar!
Old Apr 22, 2015, 5:39 am
Original Poster

Back at the hotel now...got upgraded to a VERY nice suite on the 5th floor (right down the hall beside the club lounge). Sure, the rooms and the hotel as a whole is a little outdated, think Le Meridien Morocco a la 1984. But it has it's charm, and I do like it a lot personally. Everyone seems to be helpful.

Like others have pointed out - the beach and pool area is a going point. It is vast and kept very clean. Not too much people around here now, so very easy to find an empty spot. There is a beach bar, and there is also WIFI by the pool and the beach. The pool/spa/beach area closes at 8:30PM.

Lot's of F&B outlets as well...they have this Irish/English pub, which does feel like an authentic pub....a pint of beer is 30-something dirham. Then there is an italian restaurant, greek restaurant, Latest Receipe, a waterside cocktail lounge, etc. These places are all crowded at night, so it seems to be very popular among the locals as well. I mean, since the hotel is not fully occupied - still they dont seem to have trouble filling up their F&B outlets. The courtyard is very nice, so I fully understand that locals and expats alike come here.

The breakfast at Latest Receipe have been updated since last time. Breakfast is not served in the lounge, but in this restaurant. It is VERY nicely prepared and displayed. Everything seems to be fresh. I really enjoy the way they present the food. It's all very inviting.

The lounge itself is small, but sufficient. There are all day finger sandwiches, cakes, soft drinks, juices and coffee. There is a balcony, which makes sense when its not to warm or humid outside. Beer and wine is served from 6PM till 8PM. Nice to sit on the balcony with an icecold beer. The lounge close at 8PM though.

All Platinum guests receive 500 points - since the breakfast is included with the lounge access.

Sure, its old and not shiny like St. Regis, but for me this is the perfect hotel. They treat platinums very well. Charming and welcoming. Lively and peaceful. Centrally located. Cheap rates can be had as well....I am paying 270 dirhams per night, plus taxes. Great value.

PS! Quirky thing that I have mentioned before - make sure to visit the parrot house in the garden And, some rooms do have some noise, coming from the disco and the pubs, so make sure you have a quiet room if you are a light sleeper or like to sleep early.

Also, the pizzeria offers a 20% discount for SPG members, and the beach lounge offers 20% discount on cocktails for SPG members too. Make sure you present your card before paying.
Old Jan 9, 2016, 5:41 am

Programs: AC SE100K, AA EXP, SPG Plt, HH Dmnd
This hotel is abysmally old and outdated. Rooms smell gross, reminiscent of the musk from inside the Pyramids. Some service issues as well,

- Aren't Gold members entitled to some form of amenity choice, even on an award booking?
- Don't Gold members get access to 'premium' internet (even on an award booking made by calling in) instead of the 'standard' internet offering?
- Why should Golds have to specifically ask for an upgrade, and then have to wait while a manager is asked - isn't this supposed to be substantially more proactive on the part of the hotel? And then only reluctantly given and to a room that is no different than a standard room, except 2 floors higher.
Old Jan 9, 2016, 12:17 pm

Given that in AUH we have:

- Le Royal Meridien (almost always similar or cheaper rates to the LM) which is nicer in every way possible, having been recently renovated;
- The Aloft which must be one of the nicest in the world (including surprisingly excellent PLT recognition incl upgrade to their largest rooms, an alcoholic drink coupon per person per night, 250 points and full breakfast); and
- The StR Corniche which is not even remotely in the same class, yet often demands surprisingly little premium over the LM...

... I honestly think you have to be slightly crazy to go for the LM. The only way I would darken the doors of the LM is mattress running during the summer, and even then only if they were considerably cheaper than the others (unlikely given Aloft goes as low as 190AED per night).
Old Jan 9, 2016, 12:51 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, AA EXP, SPG Plt, HH Dmnd
Originally Posted by stargold
Given that in AUH we have:

- Le Royal Meridien (almost always similar or cheaper rates to the LM) which is nicer in every way possible, having been recently renovated;
- The Aloft which must be one of the nicest in the world (including surprisingly excellent PLT recognition incl upgrade to their largest rooms, an alcoholic drink coupon per person per night, 250 points and full breakfast); and
- The StR Corniche which is not even remotely in the same class, yet often demands surprisingly little premium over the LM...

... I honestly think you have to be slightly crazy to go for the LM. The only way I would darken the doors of the LM is mattress running during the summer, and even then only if they were considerably cheaper than the others (unlikely given Aloft goes as low as 190AED per night).
Beach. Or I would have, believe me. So much about this hotel makes me cringe.
Old Jan 9, 2016, 2:08 pm

I totally understand that a lot of people place an importance on beaches, but we're talking about a small stretch of sand overlooking a (admittedly impressive looking) man-made island less than 500m away, with construction of a bridge going on next door. I'm not even sure whether it should even qualify as a beach!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.