Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SPG Cash and Points cheaper than best rate.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2011, 10:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Amex Centurion, SPG Gold, HHonors Diamond, OneWorld Emerlad (CX)
SPG Cash and Points cheaper than best rate.

First of all I would like to say sorry for my bad english.

I am from Montevideo Uruguay, I am SPG Gold thru ICCD Amex Plat.

I stayed on November at Sheraton Libertador in Buenos Aires Argentina, I booked the cheapest room and I was upgraded to a Club Suite, a really nice suite on the club floor.

I will be going to argentina in 2 weeks so I decide to check the prices and rates on the SPG site... I also check how many points do I need to do the Cash and Points reservation.

The cheapest booking options is 179 USD for a Classic Room
For point and cash is 45 USD + 2800 points.

As I have 2700 the system offer me to buy points, i have over 200.000 on my amex so I wasnt interested but i clicked by error and read about buying points.

the price was 500 points for 17.50 so each point cost 0.035 USD

I realize that is cheaper to book a room buying points and doing the cash+points reservation than a regular booking

2800 points needed for the reservation: 98 USD
cash: 45 USD
Total: 143 USD

I checked this with other hotels and its the same....
Can anyone tell me if I am wrong? So its cheaper to buy points and do a booking instead of just book with cash?
Sorry again for my bad english, maybe my explanation is wrong.

btw if i go to the hotel with a cash and points booking may I receive an upgrade on the front desk as I receive when i done a just cash booking?

thanks to all!
Old Feb 8, 2011, 10:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Yes, it is often cheaper (even if you value your points at 3.5 cents each, which apparently is what you can buy them for) to do Cash & Points than to pay the best available rate.

At some properties, the "Points" portion of the cash & points rate can work out to a 10-cent-per-point value.

Standard upgrade privileges apply.

I am a huge fan of Cash & Points and find that it is usually the best use of my Starpoints.

Also, the cancellation policy is usually very favorable.
Old Feb 8, 2011, 10:54 pm

Programs: UA 1k, SPG/Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by cyberaver
First of all I would like to say sorry for my bad english.

I am from Montevideo Uruguay, I am SPG Gold thru ICCD Amex Plat.

I stayed on November at Sheraton Libertador in Buenos Aires Argentina, I booked the cheapest room and I was upgraded to a Club Suite, a really nice suite on the club floor.

I will be going to argentina in 2 weeks so I decide to check the prices and rates on the SPG site... I also check how many points do I need to do the Cash and Points reservation.

The cheapest booking options is 179 USD for a Classic Room
For point and cash is 45 USD + 2800 points.

As I have 2700 the system offer me to buy points, i have over 200.000 on my amex so I wasnt interested but i clicked by error and read about buying points.

the price was 500 points for 17.50 so each point cost 0.035 USD

I realize that is cheaper to book a room buying points and doing the cash+points reservation than a regular booking

2800 points needed for the reservation: 98 USD
cash: 45 USD
Total: 143 USD

I checked this with other hotels and its the same....
Can anyone tell me if I am wrong? So its cheaper to buy points and do a booking instead of just book with cash?
Sorry again for my bad english, maybe my explanation is wrong.

btw if i go to the hotel with a cash and points booking may I receive an upgrade on the front desk as I receive when i done a just cash booking?

thanks to all!
Welcome to Flyertalk cyberaver!
You are not wrong, you can book a room using this method and save vs buying a room. You will not earn any points or stays towards elite status on a points stay. However, your upgrade chances should be the same on a cash+points stay vs a regular paid stay. Have a nice time in BA!
Old Feb 8, 2011, 11:22 pm
Original Poster

Wow! thanks for your comments

Im really happy also about the upgrade!
Old Feb 8, 2011, 11:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by cyberaver
Wow! thanks for your comments

Im really happy also about the upgrade!
Just remember that the upgrade is by no means a guarantee. As a gold, all you are 'entitled' to is a better room, such as a deluxe room or a higher floor. A club suite is the sort of upgrade one would expect as a platinum. If you get the upgrade, great - just don't expect it.
Old Feb 8, 2011, 11:52 pm
Original Poster

Yes I already know that plat friend... I have hopes as I already stayed on this hotel and I was moved to a Club Suite as I mention on my first message.

thanks again.
Old Feb 9, 2011, 8:18 am

Programs: Affiliated with all, participate in some
A similar opportunity with Hyatt Hotels is to purchase stay certificates at a rate often below the lowest available paid rate. This can result in a far cheaper hotel night if you prefer to save money over earning points and hotel stay credit.

https://www.certificates.hyatt.com/p...CertsStay.aspx

Here is an article I wrote last month regarding Hyatt Stay Certificates.
Old Feb 9, 2011, 12:01 pm

Bienvenido to FT! Indeed sometimes this is a good option as everyone explained!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.