Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Shunde, China [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2010, 9:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT, B6 Mosaic, Marriott Platinum, FPC/Accor Platinum, HHonors Diamond

Can anyone help with best directions from HKG (Airport preferably) to the Sheraton Shunde? There appears to be a ferry at least from the city that arrives very close to it but there isn't much info in the way of maps, etc. on the web that I could find. Private car or bus option?

By the same token, if we make it, what's the best way back from Shunde to Macau?

Anyone have the Sheraton Shunde email address? (Contact us link goes unanswered)...or for that matter any info on this hotel?

Thanks!
Old Dec 3, 2010, 11:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT, B6 Mosaic, Marriott Platinum, FPC/Accor Platinum, HHonors Diamond
OK since there seems to be no info on this property I thought I might provide some.

Transfer from HK this is what the hotel offered:
"1) external car rental from Honk Kong airport to the hotel - total cost 2500rmb to be paid in cash directly to the driver. (LOL!)
2) by taxi from Hong Kong airport to China Ferry to then take the boat from there directly to Shunde. An economy ticket would cost 175rmb and a first class 200rmb. The departure times from Hong King to Shunde are 7.30am, 8.30am, 11am, 15.20pm & 18pm. Once in Shunde the distance from our hotel is no more than 8 minutes by car. The fee either by taxi or hotel car would be 50rmb net."

Notes: We took the ferry. It was painless, comfortable but you might want to get the tickets in advance. We went an hour early for the 8:30 and it was sold out, we went at 11. I doubt that a taxi is 50 rmb from the ferry port, but it was nice to have a hotel car there.

To/from Macau:
"Our hotel driver will be able to take you to Zhuhai border gate with Macau on the 19th October 2010.The cost would be 950rmb by Buick van and 1150rmb by Mercedes Benz.Once in Macau you can take a taxi to your local destination."

Notes: we hired a private car that a lively employee offered. He took us to the Macau gate for 300rmb (1.5 hours). We also used this same guy for r/t to Guangzhou for 500rmb. I didn't haggle (I know I should have). At the border gate you have to lug your luggage across an esplanade to the border crossing. It's pretty big - 20 lines or so - and crowded. Then again to the Macau immigration post. Then pick up a taxi to your hotel on the other side or take one of the many, many shuttle buses that a lot of the hotels offer.

Hotel stay
Big, modern, brand spanking new. We were upgraded to an executive suite overlooking the Pearl River. Awesome room, awesome bathroom. Breakfast was included for Platinums in the lobby restaurant. It's a big and varied buffet, and pretty good, too!. Lounge available and is decent but nothing special, some canapes in the evening with drinks. There is a full Chinese restaurant and a "Japanese" restaurant. We did not eat at either but the Chinese has a rather extensive menu. We did eat at the buffet restaurant in the lobby for dinner one night, I ordered à la carte and it was quite acceptable.

There really isn't anything to do in Shunde if you don't have business there or in Guangzhou - this hotel was $100 vs. $400++ during the fair for the hotels in Guangzhou, and what we got for $100 was amazing. The Qinghui Garden is pretty much the only worthwhile sight to see and that will take a 20-30 rmb taxi ride each way and about an hour(?) to see.

Guangzhou is about 45 mins from the hotel. The hotel also has a shuttle bus to Guangzhou during the fair. I do not recall what it cost (I think there was a room rate that included it) but it wasn't much.

Very worthwhile. If you are going to the fair in Guangzhou this is a very convenient hotel to use both in terms of commuting to Guangzhou and connecting to HK or Macau. It really couldn't have been easier. And the price is hard to beat!

Last edited by pjoalfa; Dec 3, 2010 at 11:47 am Reason: many times to figure out how to get the pics to display
Old Jul 6, 2011, 9:45 am

Programs: BA Silver, PR Elite, Avis Preferred Plus, PC Diamond Ambassador
Adding to pjoalfa's info

Stayed here mid June and can add to the excellent info above.

Yes the location is a bit isolated but it is upscale. It is barely 5 minutes and a 20-25 Rmb taxi fare from the new Ronggui station on the high speed line from Guangzhou South to Zhuhai North (Zhuhai proper is another 30-40 minutes by taxi). Taxis seem readily available at the station, which as of mid June the exit at road level was still in need of finishing of the layout. Taxis from the hotel can be a real problem, I waited over 30 minutes on a Sunday afternoon and the concierge insisted on sending me to Shunde bus station and not Ronggui railway station despite me showing the railway station name in Chinese symbols!

It has a nice riverside location.

Left out of the front of the hotel and right at the lights will take you to a couple of smallish malls and plenty of restaurants. allow 15 minutes+ walking - and remember you will arrive wet either through perspiring in the high humidity or getting rained on most of the year.

There are shops on the ground floor level of the enormous new development of very upscale condos minutes left of the hotel.

The Qinghui Gardens is as described, but it is in the middle of Sundhe and the town is interesting and genuinely Chinese, pretty much untouched by foreigners. Interesting and very very cheap shopping.

The hotel staff speak English but their level of understanding is not to the same standard (see comment above about taxi to the station). I also downgraded from a club floor room to a standard room on the last night (decided to go to Changsha the next morning rather than overnight there) they insisted on me changing rooms but then quite ridiculously moved me to the identical room two floors lower.

In the room there is a bank of connectors - VGA, RCA, HDMI etc - to connect to the TV. In both rooms only the VGA worked!!! They clearly are ornamental. I called an engineer and he bodged sound by connecting a phono to the iPod dock!!!

In both rooms the door to the balcony had an additional security fitting which was effectively a bent and rather rusty wire.

Good value, interesting location but for Westerners it needs a bit of interpretation - but hey the place was full of Chinese tour parties and receptions on the Saturday and Sunday morning, they don't need Western custom.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.