Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Dubai Four Points Downtown [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Dubai Four Points Downtown [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2008, 9:06 am
Original Poster

Arrow Dubai Four Points Downtown [Master Thread]

I recently had the pleasure of spending a night at the Four Points by Sheraton Downtown Dubai (opened in Nov 2007, I gather), and as I haven't seen anything about it on FT I figured I'd write it up.

So, it's brand new, modern, and very stylish -- the pictures on the official site do it no justice. (My attempts can be found here, and a longer trip report on Dubai itself here.) Check-in was a little slow, with one frazzled clerk attending to four guests simultaneously, but the room was great: spacious, big comfy beds, little sofa-and-table area, powerful shower, plasma TV, and all of it squeaky and new. Internet access is a rather steep 80 dirhams/day (~US$20), but at least it was fast.

The next morning, I hit the gym, which was quite spacious and well-equipped with a good selection of treadmills, stationery bikes, exercise machines, in fact pretty much everything except heavy free weights. There was even a European lady seemingly employed to run the center! The dressing rooms have a decent little sauna, and up the steps is a slick rooftop pool that would have been just amazing a little later in the year... but I was visiting in January and the 10 deg C water was, um, on the refreshing side.

My rate didn't include breakfast, but I did get three "treat" coupons, redeemable for various things like beer and pretzels, fruit platters, muffins etc at the restaurant and bar downstairs. The only catch was that they could only be used between 11 AM and 8 PM, and I'd checked in at 10 PM and was leaving at noon the next day... but I tried the "sandwich and drink" at the hip little cafe (complete with pop art comic panels on the walls), expecting a saran-wrapped white bread triangle, and was fairly shocked to get what amounted to a freshly made club sandwich (minus the bacon) with piping hot fries. ^

Overall, there are two negatives to the hotel, and one big positive. The negatives are that 1) the hotel isn't close to much of anything, although you can walk to the Creek in ~20 min if you've got time and the weather permits, and that 2) there really isn't the slightest hint of Arabia to the entire place: it's totally anonymous modern style. However, the big positive is the price: my stay, booked just a few days ahead, was Dhs 550 (before taxes), or around US$150, when most Dubai hotels I looked at were anywhere from 2-4x that much. Given that the hotel is just ~10 min from the airport by taxi, this was perfect for a one-day transit stop, and I'd definitely recommend it for people with a little sightseeing time on their hands.
Old Jan 29, 2008, 12:46 pm

Programs: AA 3MM EXP, SQ Solitaire, LH SEN, CX DM, Hyatt CC, Marriott LT Titanium
I stayed here last week as well.. I also agree that the rooms are quite nice and modern... The only negative for me with the stay is that it was quite difficult to catch a taxi at the hotel... The bellboys at the hotel were less than helpful in that regard as well, and suggested to use a limo service.. I stood there for half an hour waiting for taxis to come by at 11am..
Old Nov 19, 2009, 11:43 pm

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Just completed a stay here. My first stay since becoming a Plat and was upgraded to an executive suite and had a roll away brought into the room as I was staying with a friend of mine. Very nice room. 2 full baths, kitchenette etc...... Was given 3 treat coupons as previously reported and that is a nice touch although breakfast wasn't part of the rate nor plat benefits. I didn't check the internet prices but it wasn't complimentary, except in the lobby areas. Great price 550 dhs..... and 150 usd a.i.
Old Nov 20, 2009, 3:06 am

Programs: IHG Pl. Amb / Accor Gold / Hilton Gold /FB Gold / M&M SEN
Staying here for a seminar I am organizing in 10 days, good to see some positive feedback already. Will post my experience when I get back.
Old Nov 20, 2009, 5:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
i've stayed at this property over a dozen times & find it very good value for the price....will be staying here next week & then again next month....have got a great rate of AED 337.50 (about $90) per night....as mentioned before, the only problem is getting a taxi....since i am in dubai once or twice a month, i have the number of a local taxi driver & i always call him whenever i need to go somewhere....in the event he is not available, it can get tough getting a taxi near the hotel....
Old Nov 20, 2009, 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by saad
i've stayed at this property over a dozen times & find it very good value for the price....will be staying here next week & then again next month....have got a great rate of AED 337.50 (about $90) per night....as mentioned before, the only problem is getting a taxi....since i am in dubai once or twice a month, i have the number of a local taxi driver & i always call him whenever i need to go somewhere....in the event he is not available, it can get tough getting a taxi near the hotel....
That is a very good rate for this time of the year. Nice property for the money.
Old Nov 21, 2009, 7:26 am

I totally agree. Stayed there a week or so ago.

Great service, nice suite upgrade, free food coupons (pretty well enough for a light dinner, with a beer...), all for a rate of about $125 U.S. Only there from mid-evening to morning, so really didn't even step outside.

Still, all in all a really enjoyable evening, especially for the price!

Cheers,
Old Dec 7, 2009, 7:34 am

Programs: IHG Pl. Amb / Accor Gold / Hilton Gold /FB Gold / M&M SEN
Typing this message from the 4P, quick preview
Rooms are great and HUGE. Very clean, comfortable, very satisfied!

Food is absolutely terrible though (Both room service and lunch in restaurant - have a business meeting here). Breakfast is good.

Will write the full review when I get back

EDIT: Absolutely no taxi issues, staff is very helpful in getting me and my clients taxis.
Old Apr 7, 2010, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Do they leaving anything in the room for Plats? wine/water/fruits, etc in addition to the treat coupons? Do the treat coupons work only for food and beer or other mixed drinks/wine in the bar?
Old May 31, 2010, 1:31 pm

Four Points Downtown Dubai [Master Thread]

Staying here this coming weekend on my corporate rate for 297 a.i. which is roughly 80 bucks. I have gotten suites both times previously here thus I'm hopeful for another nice one this time.
Old Jun 13, 2010, 5:48 am

Programs: SPG Platinum
re:

Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
Do they leaving anything in the room for Plats? wine/water/fruits, etc in addition to the treat coupons? Do the treat coupons work only for food and beer or other mixed drinks/wine in the bar?
I'm a Plat, and I got a bottle of water each night and 3 treat coupons (I stayed 4 nights) which could be used for food/beer/wine late morning (10 or 11am) to early evening.
Old Jun 13, 2010, 7:24 am

Originally Posted by theTrotter
I'm a Plat, and I got a bottle of water each night and 3 treat coupons (I stayed 4 nights) which could be used for food/beer/wine late morning (10 or 11am) to early evening.
10 am to 10 pm I believe it says on the vouchers. Not a bad deal considering you don't get breakfast complimentary (not expecting it).
Old Jul 3, 2010, 11:42 am

OK #1 don't order the cookies off the complimentary vouchers for snacks they give out. They are small boxed hard as a rock stones.

#2 Insist on a junior suite when they say they don't have any. I stayed 2 different one night reservations this weekend and I didn't get an upgrade to a suite the first night but insisted and waited about 30 minutes after arrival the 2nd night to get one. They are very nice with a kitchenette and washer and dryer even. This 4 points reminds me of a Le Meridien actually (in a good way).

#3 It takes a while to hail a taxi from here as they are just off the road. Thus call down before you leave your room to have them get a metered taxi waiting for you.
Old Sep 24, 2010, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by schley
...#2 Insist on a junior suite when they say they don't have any. I stayed 2 different one night reservations this weekend and I didn't get an upgrade to a suite the first night but insisted and waited about 30 minutes after arrival the 2nd night to get one....
I guess you really need to fight hard to get an upgrade here. I checked in at 1130PM and was advised that I was upgraded to Preferred Room which as all FTers know are regular rooms with a nice plaque when you exit the elevators.

Asked for Studio Rooms or Suites and was told that they provide one category upgrade. Told the clerk that is not correct and I should be upgraded to Studio Room or Suite if available. Then I was told none was available. Of course, after I got to my room and checked spg.com, I can book multiple Studio Rooms and Suites. I was too tired to fight for room change. If you want a suite upgrade, arrive early and be ready for a fight.
Old Sep 27, 2010, 12:42 am

Programs: EK Gold, EY Gold, Bonvoy LT Titanium, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
I was given the one category upgrade quote at this hotel also, given a preffered room, but insisted on a junior suite as they were showing. Then the next morning paid the difference for a suite.
When i was quoted the one category upgrade by the front desk manager.. I told her thats not how SPG scheme works and could she give me it in writing so I could forward to SPG corporate!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.