Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

4 Points Pineville, NC (CLT) - An alternate universe! [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

4 Points Pineville, NC (CLT) - An alternate universe! [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2009, 3:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Platinum
Arrow 4 Points Pineville, NC (CLT) - An alternate universe! [Master Thread]

Needed a one night, “early AM flight” stay w/ an inexpensive rate. CLT 4Points is awful, Sheraton isn’t much better at twice the price. Decided to try this location….

Front desk: courteous, friendly, & recognized status. Went thru the “details” of the hotel quickly and concisely, offering me free breakfast. Asked if needed luggage assistance.
Room: clean and recently remodeled. “Starwood Guest” floor. On the lines of an Embassy, Hyatt Place, or Summerfield Suites room. Spotless bathroom.
Overall property: Clean, neat, and well kept. Sunday nite @10PM and did not see overflowing outdoor trash cans, newspapers strewn everywhere, etc. Glass elevator did not have handprints all over it. Small lobby type restaurant/bar. Very tiny “store” with snacks and HBA type stuff – but well stocked with a nice selection.
Pool/Work-out Room: didn’t use. Would guess both would be rather small, as entire hotel was on the smaller side; not a converted Sheraton.

Other: Restaurant/bar was closing, but offered (!) to make me something to eat if it could be cold. Ordered and left to take luggage to room. Before I could return, there was a knock and my meal was being delivered. Nicely done club sandwich, arranged attractively with fruit and chips. Included a bottle of water. All when she was supposed to be off!
AM: too early for breakfast, still being set up; but coffee was in little store. Supposed to pay $1. Front desk clerk who would not take money – said they never charge. A huge basket of fresh fruit – with a sign: Thank you for being our guest. Please enjoy a piece of fruit with our compliments. Then breakfast person comes over, asks if I would like to take something with me. Brings me a little bag with some easy to transport/eat breakfast items.
Had a $75 gift check. Desk clerk was unsure how apply. Told me a manager would call me by noon. Handled without issue….even correctly applying points to full charges, not final balance.
Was trying to juggle luggage, coffee, newspaper, (and breakfast!) as well as checking out. Without my asking front desk clerk came around, and helped carry everything to the car.

If all 4Points were operated in this manner, they would be a leading hotel chain! Great service came from all personnel, IMO a sign of a true customer focus. Not the Ritz; but at under $100, a great value and certainly above average. I have paid a lot more and received a lot less! . The hotel is in a slightly odd location (hidden behind a shopping center); but isn’t too far from 6Flags. Lots of shopping and chain restaurants in the area. For a family weekend, this place is a bargain. Too bad they don’t have a Park n Fly package!
Old Oct 25, 2009, 6:24 am

So nice to read a report like this. I wonder if you'd drop a note to the hotel management to express your feelings. I am sure they would appreciate it very much and will do their best to keep up the good work.

Originally Posted by sophiegirl
Needed a one night, “early AM flight” stay w/ an inexpensive rate. CLT 4Points is awful, Sheraton isn’t much better at twice the price. Decided to try this location….

Front desk: courteous, friendly, & recognized status. Went thru the “details” of the hotel quickly and concisely, offering me free breakfast. Asked if needed luggage assistance.
Room: clean and recently remodeled. “Starwood Guest” floor. On the lines of an Embassy, Hyatt Place, or Summerfield Suites room. Spotless bathroom.
Overall property: Clean, neat, and well kept. Sunday nite @10PM and did not see overflowing outdoor trash cans, newspapers strewn everywhere, etc. Glass elevator did not have handprints all over it. Small lobby type restaurant/bar. Very tiny “store” with snacks and HBA type stuff – but well stocked with a nice selection.
Pool/Work-out Room: didn’t use. Would guess both would be rather small, as entire hotel was on the smaller side; not a converted Sheraton.

Other: Restaurant/bar was closing, but offered (!) to make me something to eat if it could be cold. Ordered and left to take luggage to room. Before I could return, there was a knock and my meal was being delivered. Nicely done club sandwich, arranged attractively with fruit and chips. Included a bottle of water. All when she was supposed to be off!
AM: too early for breakfast, still being set up; but coffee was in little store. Supposed to pay $1. Front desk clerk who would not take money – said they never charge. A huge basket of fresh fruit – with a sign: Thank you for being our guest. Please enjoy a piece of fruit with our compliments. Then breakfast person comes over, asks if I would like to take something with me. Brings me a little bag with some easy to transport/eat breakfast items.
Had a $75 gift check. Desk clerk was unsure how apply. Told me a manager would call me by noon. Handled without issue….even correctly applying points to full charges, not final balance.
Was trying to juggle luggage, coffee, newspaper, (and breakfast!) as well as checking out. Without my asking front desk clerk came around, and helped carry everything to the car.

If all 4Points were operated in this manner, they would be a leading hotel chain! Great service came from all personnel, IMO a sign of a true customer focus. Not the Ritz; but at under $100, a great value and certainly above average. I have paid a lot more and received a lot less! . The hotel is in a slightly odd location (hidden behind a shopping center); but isn’t too far from 6Flags. Lots of shopping and chain restaurants in the area. For a family weekend, this place is a bargain. Too bad they don’t have a Park n Fly package!
Old Oct 25, 2009, 11:45 pm

Thanks for the review.

I agree, if you feel the stay was outstanding let the hotel know.
Old Oct 26, 2009, 2:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Platinum
Instead of a letter....

Provided the manager with the site addresses of FT and tripadvisor....and suggested they search for their property.

(but I did send a letter to *Wood Corporate CS)
Old Oct 26, 2009, 11:32 am

Location: (not Montana. Nor is my name really Helena, nor am I female)
Programs: Delta, USAirways, Starwood, Priority Club, Marriott, Amex
Anyone know about the suite situation at this property? I occasionally need a cheap overnight for the family in Charlotte and would value another option where I could find a suite with a door between the bedroom and the sofa bed.
Old May 13, 2013, 7:22 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, National Executive
I am headed to Asia in late 2013 and projected I will be one stay credit short of Platinum status when I arrive in Thailand. Since I was passing through the Pineville area I checked in on a Saturday evening for a stay credit on a C&P rate.

In an effort to be a good FT citizen I went up stairs and checked out the room instaed of checking in and leaving right away.

-Property looked fairly modern, well maintained.

-Surrounding area was quiet. Two malls were close by. Carowinds is maybe 10 minutes away. CLT airport? Perhaps 15.

-Check-in was quick. I was recognized as a SPG Gold and one of the first questions was if I needed a late check-out. I can't recall ever being asked that before.^

-Lobby was small. A cozy bar was located off to the left.

-My room was on 5, marked as a SPG floor. The room was large, looked more like a one room suite. Sofa, nice bathroom, I tried out the bed and it was comfy. Maybe I should have taken a quick nap!

Nice 4 Points property, nay, a nice property in this niche.

Last edited by Gamecock; May 14, 2013 at 8:31 am
Old Jul 14, 2013, 3:35 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, UA LT Ag, Marriott LT Ti, Hyatt Glob, Avis PC, Busted-Knuckles Club Grand Poobah.
I just checked in. No Plat upgrade and I think there's only a couple of suites. The standard room is like a mini-suite anyway with a sitting area. I was here last year and didn't get a suite then either but the standard room is fine, and the property is in much better shape than the 4pts on Woodlawn. That used to be my usual place but it's really showing its age and my suite there last week managed to be clammy and damp despite the roaring central AC.
Old Oct 19, 2014, 8:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ua mm, aa plat, starriott LTPP, ihg plat, hh gold.
I've had several stays here over the past month to shore up my platinum status for next year...at 2000 points and $35 it's a great deal if you need a few nights.

They do have "suites", but not really, so don't get upset if you don't get one. I had SNAs that were set to expire so I used one. Total waste. Seriously, it would have been better to let it expire.

The 'suite' is is essentially identical to the other rooms, but has a slightly different layout and incrementally larger kitchen. (All rooms I've stayed in have a microwave and a small fridge and a little bar sink.) Really, really not worth it. Also, it's next to the elevator--all the suites are at the front of the hotel, so you get elevator noise and noise from whoever is parked in front of the hotel with the radio blaring which you don't get further down the hall.

Debated asking for my suite night award back, but the front desk has been so lovely I didn't want to make a fuss.

The hotel itself is perfectly fine although one of my stays I was on the fourth floor--not the fifth, which based on my experience is where they usually put plats--and there were a bunch of teens running around in the hallway all night. (Subtext: try to get on the top floor.)

All in all, it's a fine place if you have to be in the area, or if you need a few inexpensive nights. I'd stay again.
Old Jan 18, 2016, 5:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ua mm, aa plat, starriott LTPP, ihg plat, hh gold.
mine is the last post in the thread, but i'll add this for anyone considering the property.

everything i said above is still true, with one addition: i recommend avoiding the 'suites' at all costs. they're too far from the router and the internet in both xx00 and xx01 suites is either bad or nonexistent...plus they're not really bigger than the other rooms and the layout is weird--first thing you see when you walk in the door is the toilet.

other than that, this remains a fine little property with a generally good staff, a variety of nearby dining options and is typically the most reasonably priced starwood in charlotte.

rather than bump the thread, edited to add: they just did an upgrade of the lobby, and it's really lovely. no idea if that's to blame for the (new) lack of C+P availability, or if that's a marriott thing, but this is still a sweet four points with a good staff and now a spiffy lobby. rooms haven't changed, so here's hoping the category won't, either.

Last edited by karenkay; Jul 23, 2016 at 1:33 pm Reason: new info
Old Aug 31, 2017, 10:50 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Stay Report - 8/30 - 8/31

Location: The hotel is located on Pineville-Matthews Road (NC-51) just off I-485. Across the street from the hotel is the Carolina Place Mall and there are also a number of restaurants around, several of which deliver through Postmates. Downtown Charlotte is 25 minutes away and CLT is 20.

Hotel: The hotel is only 16 years old and is in pretty good shape. The lobby layout is odd and cramped thanks to a large stairwell going up to the second floor and the elevator banks. On the right side of the lobby are the check in desk and a sundry store and on the left is a bar which also serves breakfast and dinner. The hotel also has room service. When I arrived there was coffee, fruit infused water and smoothies available for free in the lobby which were a nice touch.

Check In: Hurried and no SPG Gold recognition. I don't know if I got the Welcome Amenity points as I wasn't asked if I wanted them or points. I also mentioned I was alone and didn't need the room with two beds I booked but I didn't get moved to a King.

Room: I was on the 5th floor which is the SPG floor. The room was pretty impressive for a standard room. There was a living room area, kitchenette with microwave and fridge and work area. The only complaints are the fact that the wifi was nearly unusable from 6-8 PM and the conditioner container in my shower was empty.

Breakfast: I paid $5 extra for a AAA Breakfast Rate. There were cheese omelets and two kinds of sausage as well as waffle makers, cereal, fruit, yogurt and pastries. Service in the breakfast area was fairly nonexistent.

My rate was $98 and this hotel is perfectly fine for an overnight in Charlotte and certainly better than many other 4Ps I've stayed at.
Old Apr 28, 2018, 7:14 pm

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
a great stay!

I discovered this place by accident - completing a 3-night mattress run near CLT. On check-in, I was given a Platinum amenity (snack box) and offered both the points and buffet breakfast. The breakfast was awesome - hot and cold (cereal) options, scrambled eggs, sausage links, bagels, wheat bread and grits, along with fruit cups and yogurt. My room was very comfortable, modern and @ $71 it was the best deal of 3 in Charlotte!
Old Nov 23, 2019, 3:45 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Stayed here again this week. Used an expiring SNA and got a slightly bigger room than I did last time I was here (see pictures). I was offered breakfast or points as a Titanium and was given a snack box with granola bars and trail mix as a welcome amenity as well. Once again there was no conditioner in the shower and the toilet didn't flush well. It would take 5 or 6 flushes for anything to go down.

Breakfast options included scrambled eggs, bacon, potatoes and cold items like cereal, breads, yogurt and fruit. The breakfast area is tiny and service is not very good. There is a pretty good bar though and they serve dinner until 10 PM (bar is open until 11 PM). This remains a good cheap option in Charlotte.
Antonio8069 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.