Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Star Alliance Lounge in Bangkok

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2012, 4:54 am

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum
My wife and I will be transiting twice in Dec. We will be flying business class on TG - both incoming and outgoing flights on both occasions - first time flying between ICN and PER, and the second time flying between PER and SIN. We are also both Star Alliance Gold members.

So there is one SQ SKL we can use. Which are the best TG lounges we can use?

Through the Canadian AMEX Platinum card, we have Priority Pass privileges - with free access to the lounges. Are there any lounges there worth going to, that are close in quality to the other lounges we can access?

Are we allowed to lounge hop-go from lounge to lounge?
Old Sep 15, 2012, 4:15 pm
soy

Programs: various
No problem lounge hopping, but all the TG lounges at BKK are much the same, so I would not bother.

Maybe hit the SQ lounge (better food) and then go to one of the TG lounges
Old Nov 19, 2012, 11:28 am

Programs: AA, Hilton, PC
BKK lounges

My parents are I are flying Business class on 3 separate award tickets BNA-Krabi, Thailand in Feb. 1 US, 1 UA, 1 Aeroplan award ticket.

We land at BKK at 9:25PM and the Krabi flight doesn't leave until 7:xx. 10 hour layover.

None of us have status with any airline.

1. Do we get any lounge access for being business class passengers on *A?
2. Would we be better off getting a nearby hotel for the night?
3. If yes to #2, can someone make a property recommendation that offers a quick shuttle? Hilton, Starwood, Club Carlson, or Marriott pts preferred.

Thanks
Old Nov 20, 2012, 7:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
You will have lounge access as business class passengers on *A, but they are not open 24hrs. (close around 1AM).

With a 10 hour, overnight layover I would definitely recommend leaving the airport.

You can search around for a bit for threads regarding nearby hotels. At that time of night you should not have much traffic and could even make it into Bangkok pretty easily I would think. Much better than camping out overnight at BKK.

I am not aware of hotel shuttle options, but for 3 of you a taxi makes the most sense. Very reasonably priced and easy to do.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 2:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
With a 10 hour transfer I would not stay at the airport. Hotels in BKK are quite cheap and it will take you approx ½ hour to get to a hotel downtown BKK. A taxi to downtown BKK will be max. 15 USD. You could also consider the nice and convenient but very expensive Novotel at BKK airport, but there are several other, much cheaper hotels available near the airport. Most provide shuttle service; otherwise taxi is very cheap.

There are no Hilton, Starwood, Club Carlson, or Marriott near the airport (all are downtown BKK), but several other nice properties. Try a search on Agoda.com

You should note that if you decide to leave the airport you will have to pay airport tax THB 700 (appr. USD 22 per pax). Your tickets most likely do not include the airport tax with only 10 hour transfer at BKK and are based on the assumption that you stay airside. Once you leave the transit area, the airport tax will be collected upon your return/at check-in.

Yes, you have access to the TG lounges but no lounge will be open during the night; the TG lounges are closed from 1AM (or 2AM?) to 5AM (I am not sure about the domestic TG lounge). Please try a search in the TG forum for further information.
Old Nov 23, 2012, 8:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by baxterboy12
My parents are I are flying Business class on 3 separate award tickets BNA-Krabi, Thailand in Feb. 1 US, 1 UA, 1 Aeroplan award ticket.

We land at BKK at 9:25PM and the Krabi flight doesn't leave until 7:xx. 10 hour layover.

None of us have status with any airline.

1. Do we get any lounge access for being business class passengers on *A?
2. Would we be better off getting a nearby hotel for the night?
3. If yes to #2, can someone make a property recommendation that offers a quick shuttle? Hilton, Starwood, Club Carlson, or Marriott pts preferred.

Thanks
If the flights are in C then you'd get lounge access in BKK but the lounges are not open 24/7. You would also need to head over to the domestic side and the lounge is several steps below the international offerings.

Get out of the airport and head into town.

No shuttles but 3 people should be able to fit into a taxi assuming you don't have substantial amounts of luggage.

Originally Posted by SK AAR
You should note that if you decide to leave the airport you will have to pay airport tax THB 700 (appr. USD 22 per pax). Your tickets most likely do not include the airport tax with only 10 hour transfer at BKK and are based on the assumption that you stay airside. Once you leave the transit area, the airport tax will be collected upon your return/at check-in.
You are not correct on the departure tax. What you talk about is the cost for leavign the airport on an int-int itin. OP is on a domestic connection and this will have no bearing upon them. Further, though irrelevant to this discussion, the cost is up to 800 THB now.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 6:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
dsquared37, you are perfectly right. Sorry, I overlooked that the OP was connecting to a domestic flight. Obviously, the int. dep. tax is not applicable.

Thx, I didn't know that the tax has been increased to THB 800. It is quite high; certainly compared to the general level of costs in TH
Old Dec 11, 2012, 9:36 am

Programs: Star Alliance
Baggage check SFO-DEN-FRA-CDG-ICN

Flying biz class in a combination of UA, LH, OZ flights, longest layover is 6 hours in CDG. Is it worth checking in bag that is also carry on size?
Old Dec 16, 2012, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Jet_Fuel_Perfume
Flying biz class in a combination of UA, LH, OZ flights, longest layover is 6 hours in CDG. Is it worth checking in bag that is also carry on size?
1) Why would you check a bag that you can carry with?

2) What does this have to do with *A lounges in BKK?
Old Dec 17, 2012, 11:47 am

I'm flying out of BKK on TG in F. I'm assuming that the TG F lounge is the one I want to use? In other words, the best one available to me? Or should I be trying a different lounge?

My other TG flight out of BKK is domestic (in J), so I know my options are limited then.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
You are correct. Best lounge for you to use is the TG Royal First Class Lounge.

Directly across the hall is the Royal Orchard Spa. As a departing TG F class passenger, you can enjoy either a 1 hour full body massage, or two half-hour massages (feet + head and shoulder). A very nice experience before a long flight. You can make your appointment the day of travel...at either the check in desk or the First Class lounge (I have had them arrange it both ways in the past).

Enjoy.
Old Mar 16, 2013, 4:02 am

Programs: Star Alliance, EuroBonus
Originally Posted by goodeats21
Welcome to FlyerTalk !

The Thai Airways lounges all close around 1 AM and reopen around 5AM. So, no Star Alliance lounges will be open during the time you need to cover.

If I recall correctly, there is a contract lounge that is open all night that you could pay a fee to use. I have not been there, so you will need to search a bit for some information to see if this would be worthwhile.

If you do not want to go to the paid lounge, check around on the departure level for some comfortable chairs. There are groups of comfortable recliner type sleepers in some areas that would be much better than other options.
I am flying business class out of BKK to Copenhagen on SAS tomorrow. Can I access any of the Star Alliance lounges at BKK ? Being a newby, what do I need to do before travelling? Do I have to sign up with Star? TIA.
Old Mar 21, 2013, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PATRICKPOWER
I am flying business class out of BKK to Copenhagen on SAS tomorrow. Can I access any of the Star Alliance lounges at BKK ? Being a newby, what do I need to do before travelling? Do I have to sign up with Star? TIA.
This response is too late to help you in this case but here goes.

You do not need to accrue miles with any *A airline in order to access the lounges and you will have access through a business class ticket. In a case like this you simply need to show up to the lounge and present your ID and BP.
Old Apr 10, 2013, 8:25 pm

Programs: HHon Diamond, IHG Plat, SPG Gold, TG Gold, QR Plat, OZ Gold, AF Silver, Hertz #1 Gold, Priority Pass

Being BKK based, it is not usual for me to transit through BKK or have much time to lounge hop as I am a last minute kind of guy and normally just head to the TG lounge closest to gate.

However today is different, having come in on a red eye to transit onto a TG flight with 3 hours in-between. I first headed to the TG lounge closest to gate. Had a shower in a room that was terribly cramped and had the air con vent 50cm right above my head in front of the shower and wash basin, there was nowhere to hide from the blast chiller effect. Then sat down for some much needed calories and being on Gluten free diet, realised that (as it has always been), TG only have unhealthy pastry or less unhealthy version with limited other items. Staff were either walking around like zombies, following you around like you are an infant or having a "hushed" banter right in front of where you are seated.

Fed up, I recall this thread and made my way all the way to A side (having walked from A to E earlier and will need to hike back to E later) an what a pleasant surprise in the SQ lounge! Access was no issue, food is plentiful and the two Thai reception girls are delightful and seem to be far more professional than most Thai staff I have encountered. Not only that but carpets, counters, soda all seem newish and clean!

Well done SQ and shame on TG in their home, most of their lounges except the spa are in shambles.
Old Apr 14, 2013, 10:58 am

Programs: All Accor Plat, 1865 Voyager, AE E35K, HH Gold,Hyatt, Hrtz Gold, Marriott Gold, NEXUS
I am flying into BKK on TG F and going onward to KUL on TG J. Will I be able to use the First Class lounge and spa in BKK or will I have to use one of the business class lounges?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.