Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Air China Bus class *A lounge: Beijing

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2009, 8:55 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

This is a nice LOOKING lounge, but in terms of food and beverages, they are following the the UA Red Carpet Club example, alas. Quite a disappointment as most *A lounges in Asia are much better in that regard.
Old Apr 14, 2009, 11:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Platinum
Smile

Don't be distracted by the beverage bars and apple chips...keep walking 'till you can't get any further ;-)

Seriously, did you see the buffet hidden away in the far back corner? It took me 3 times in the lounge before I realized there were soups, sandwiches, dumplings, and various forms of fried foods all the time and around lunch and dinner, they have a more hearty spread of chicken and beef dishes. Granted, it's lounge food but I think it's a semi-decent variety (at least).

I really seems like they hid it away on purpose.
Old Apr 14, 2009, 11:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Platinum
OMG. I just realized and can't believe I defended Air China....I've been living in Beijing way too long ;-)
Old Apr 15, 2009, 2:13 am

Programs: AC*SE 2MM, Asia Miles, SPG Gold (life), HH Gold, Golden Circle Jade
Originally Posted by bjexpat
OMG. I just realized and can't believe I defended Air China....I've been living in Beijing way too long ;-)

Nevertheless you are right, they have food, and now they have food outside of meal hours too! It's not great, but it's better than many other lounges.
Old Apr 15, 2009, 7:19 am
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
I like the Air China lounges (domestic and international)--hot food is FAR better than United's domestic lounges!

Food is OK in international lounge too, in fact I would say better than the offerings in UA RCC Hong Kong lounge. Glad to see that there are more offerings outside of meal times -- but as was noted, you have to walk past the first drink/food offerings and go way back before you get to the real food--you might miss it if you don't tour the whole lounge!
Old Apr 16, 2009, 10:49 pm

Programs: AC *G; TG *G
i would agree with Bjexpat and Blondbomber.

no matter if you ended up in the first or biz lounge in PEK, you have to walk all the way down the lounge to find the food section. just don't be mislead by the beverage corner close to the seating section.

i find better lounges at BKK, HKG with Thai and SIN with Singapore, but PEK lounge with Air China is to my opionion not bad at all.
Old Apr 17, 2009, 3:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
I was in the PEK *A lounge last week awaiting a flight to BKK. Indeed, there was food in the back along the window-ed 'wall', although the dim-sum kinda sucked. Also, if you walked around there was some bottles of booze, not easy to find unless you were wandering.

I had the opportunity to purchase an upgrade to first on TG and decided against it as the lounge, IMHO, wouldn't be up to first snuff. Yes, the lounge did factor in my decision.
Old Apr 18, 2009, 1:23 am

Programs: UA, CX, BR
C'mon people, the China Airlines / *A lounge in PEK may not compare to the Ritz; it may not be the best bus lounge in the world--but it's pretty damn good. The buffet food is certainly much better than any airline food in economy (so you can stock up your stomach and just sleep on the flight); the self-serve bar acceptable (I do hate Johnny Walker tho); the seating comfortable; there are a couple sleeping couches....
Old Apr 18, 2009, 11:39 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I found two buffets -- one near the entry and one in the way back, past the restrooms. Neither had food other than some terrible pieces of sandwich with nothing in between. There was a sign at the entrance desk saying dinner was served from 5-7 pm but I was there at 10am before the noon UA PEK-SFO flight.

So there was a third buffet I missed? Darn!
Old Apr 19, 2009, 2:11 am

Programs: UA, CX, BR
Sorry: yes, they are meal-time buffets. Lunch has come out right at noon when I've been there. Fresh, not too bad for a buffet. But the in-between meal snacks are not so great.
Old Apr 19, 2009, 2:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Whenever I fly Air China to Hong Kong and Singaproe from Beijing, I would eat at the lounge (time permitting) before I board the plane. The food is better than Air China catering.

SQ uses another lounge at PEK, it is nicer than the Air China lounge, IMHO.
Old Apr 27, 2009, 2:18 am

Programs: AA/UA/DL
Originally Posted by taipeipeter
C'mon people, the China Airlines / *A lounge in PEK may not compare to the Ritz; it may not be the best bus lounge in the world--but it's pretty damn good. The buffet food is certainly much better than any airline food in economy (so you can stock up your stomach and just sleep on the flight); the self-serve bar acceptable (I do hate Johnny Walker tho); the seating comfortable; there are a couple sleeping couches....
They are discussing about the lounge of Air China but not China Airlines.
Air China - a China based airline and also a *A member.
China Airlines - a Taiwan based airline.
Old Apr 27, 2009, 4:47 am

Programs: LH SEN, DL G, Marriott Gold, HH G, Europcar F
Yep but if you take the 2am CA-flight PEK-FRA there's hardly anything to nibble on (except for the instant soups and some dry muffins and if you are lucky an old sandwich)... as all other retail and restaurants close around 10pm, there's not much to buy, eat, or do anyways except for using their free internet.
Old Apr 30, 2009, 3:38 pm

Programs: UA MP 1K
I have a couple of trips coming up to/via China. One I know will qualify for entrance--on UA to PEK from IAD and then onward to Chongqing (CKG) on Air China. Then in June I fly as *G from IAD to PEK (C class) and then, alas, onward to Ulan Baatar on Mongolian (the Air China flight doesn't connect). Having arrived in PEK on UA and as a *G, what are the chances I can spend the several hours at the Air China lounge rather than simply hanging out at the airport? If I can't get in, any other options at PEK airport other than sitting around?
Old Apr 30, 2009, 4:51 pm
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
You can try with (same day boarding pass) but they might exclude you.

Lounge access used to be pretty cheap in Beijing. It has been a while since I paid for lounge access but you might try to pay at one of the many private lounges if you have enough hours to justify it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.