Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Star Alliance lounges at ICN (Seoul-Incheon) -- with pics

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2007, 1:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold MM, AA EXP, Delta Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HHonors Diamond, Natl EE, Hertz Platinum

Just back from a trip to Seoul, I thought I would post some impressions and pictures from the Star Alliance lounges in Seoul. After checking with ANA at the "Economy - Star Alliance Gold" check-in area, I was given a small map to the Singapore Airlines lounge.

Singapore Airlines Lounge
At the door to the lounge (photo), I was welcomed in and directed upstairs to the business/Raffles lounge (photo). As you might expect, the lounge was great. There was an area with internet-access PCs and areas to plug in laptops. Several flat screen TVs throughout the lounge were playing CNN and a soccer match (photo). While most of the lounge was open (photo), it did have small semi-private areas, which is always a plus. The food selection was second-to-none (photo); it included drinks of all varieties, sandwiches, cakes, pies, ice creams and a number of hot selections including pan-seared chili-sauce white fish, vegetable samosas, white rice, and steamed vegetables with a hollandaise sauce. After having my fill of this (photo), I topped it off with some green tea ice cream. If all that doesn't float your boat, the topper was the sheer lack of people in the lounge. I counted four.

Asiana Airlines Lounge
Needless to say, after all that, the Asiana lounge would have big shoes to fill! I headed over there about 45 minutes before my flight for a look-see. The lounge arrangement was similar with a check-in desk downstairs and the amenities upstairs (photo). While I might argue the Asiana lounge was slightly better designed/decorated (photo), it lacked the food selection of the Singapore lounge (photo). Sure, it would blow away any RCC, but after a restaurant-quality meal 15 minutes ago, this was weak at best. Furthermore, the lounge was much more crowded (photo) than the Singapore lounge -- I don't wonder if some of the other Star Alliance airlines direct their premium passengers here instead of Singapore. I had a quick drink and then left... next stop: Osaka.
Old Jan 20, 2007, 10:12 pm

Programs: BA
asian lounges are always better than american ones.
Old Jan 20, 2007, 10:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold MM, AA EXP, Delta Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HHonors Diamond, Natl EE, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by hakgwai
asian lounges are always better than american ones.
And even that is perhaps an understatement. (Even the Asian lounges in Asia are better than the Asian lounges in the U.S.)
Old Jan 21, 2007, 10:27 pm

Programs: AC SE100*1MM; Spire Ambassador
thank you for the beautiful photos! I always stopped by Singapore's lounge (since I usually connect between Singapore Air, Thai, or Air Canada), and always like Singapore's Lounge. But it appears that Asiana's lounge is even better. (Pitty that I could not have a chance to use it).
Old Jan 21, 2007, 10:42 pm

Programs: ROP Gold, BD Gold, Asiana Club Silver
JohnnyP, good summary of the differences in the two lounges. I also prefer the SQ lounge and have never seen it crowded, even right before an SQ flight leaves. Plus they keep the same level of service at the lounge even after the SQ flight leaves, which is often not the case with other lounges. The food can't be beat, with always a great selection of food and beverages. BTW, TG uses the SQ lounge, meaning for passengers who aren't *A Gold, but traveling in C on TG, they have no choice but to use the SQ lounge. It seems likely that TG will be modifying their BKK-LAX non-stop to include a stopover in ICN, which will likely mean that the SQ lounge will get a bit busier in the future.
Old Jan 21, 2007, 10:49 pm

Programs: ROP Gold, BD Gold, Asiana Club Silver
Originally Posted by lespoir
But it appears that Asiana's lounge is even better. (Pitty that I could not have a chance to use it).
Why not? Your profile says you're Aeroplan Super Elite. Isn't that *A Gold? AFAIK, any *A Gold traveling the same day on any *A carrier should be able to get into the OZ lounge being OZ is part of the *A.
Old Jan 22, 2007, 11:42 am

Programs: AC SE100*1MM; Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by Soju
Why not? Your profile says you're Aeroplan Super Elite. Isn't that *A Gold? AFAIK, any *A Gold traveling the same day on any *A carrier should be able to get into the OZ lounge being OZ is part of the *A.

Because I have never flied Asiana, whose lounge is actually located the right wing side of the airport. My flights are always on the left-wing side, with Air Canada, Singapore, Thai.
Old Jan 22, 2007, 6:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lespoir
Because I have never flied Asiana, whose lounge is actually located the right wing side of the airport. My flights are always on the left-wing side, with Air Canada, Singapore, Thai.
There are no barriers, security or immigration which block you from walking around the airport at ICN. Sure, it's not convenient to the left-wing of the airport, but if you want to stretch your legs before your flight, it's a healthy walk away!
Old Jan 22, 2007, 7:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for the pics!^ My experience at ICN has been the same as yours. I FAR prefer the SQ lounge, but that is just my preference.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.