Wiki Posts
Search

United upgrades using LH (Miles-and-more) points

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2017, 7:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: LH Silver
Question United upgrades using LH (Miles-and-more) points

I am a LH Silver (Frequent Traveller) Status and I usually don't fly United unless I can't avoid it.

Now I am flying United on Business (FRA to EWR) and I purchased an Economy ticket for my wife to join me during the official trip.
I wanted to see the possibilities of upgrading her using miles. I don't have any MileagePlus, but I have plenty of LH Miles-and-More miles.
Is there any way I can upgrade or at least be wait-listed for it? On the United site, I don't see any other options. Will it help to call UA directly?

Not sure if it matters, but the UA economy tickets are K and L for the outbound and return respectively.

Plus: If I nicely ask at the check-in and at the gate if they can provide a complimentary upgrade for my wife so we could travel together, how good are my chances?

Thanks in advance!
Old Sep 14, 2017, 11:57 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by kaps7
I am a LH Silver (Frequent Traveller) Status and I usually don't fly United unless I can't avoid it.

Now I am flying United on Business (FRA to EWR) and I purchased an Economy ticket for my wife to join me during the official trip.
I wanted to see the possibilities of upgrading her using miles. I don't have any MileagePlus, but I have plenty of LH Miles-and-More miles.
Is there any way I can upgrade or at least be wait-listed for it? On the United site, I don't see any other options. Will it help to call UA directly?

Not sure if it matters, but the UA economy tickets are K and L for the outbound and return respectively.

Plus: If I nicely ask at the check-in and at the gate if they can provide a complimentary upgrade for my wife so we could travel together, how good are my chances?

Thanks in advance!
Welcome to FlyerTalk, kaps7!

You can only upgrade more expensive economy tickets on a partner airline (i.e. UA) with points from another program (i.e. Miles and More). Upgradable booking classes are usually B and Y. K and L are discount booking classes but you can call UA and ask if you can upfare to B or Y booking class. It still does not guarantee you will be able to upgrade with M&M miles.

If you have plenty of Miles and More points you should have tried to find awards on the same UA flights you are travelling on. You won't find UA awards on the M&M website but if you can find a Business Saver Award on united.com there is a chance that an M&M agent can book the award using M&M miles.

Unfortunately there is (next to) zero chance asking nicely for a complimentary upgrade will work.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 1:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: LH Silver
Thanks, NewbieRunner!

I have been lurking on FlyerTalk for some time now, but it is the first time I created an account and actually posted something.

Yeah, I should have realized while buying the cheapest economy ticket that upgrades would not be possible.
I could have tried using my M-and-M miles to get an award ticket instead, but I had to use a voucher from UA so I was confined to using voucher+cash only.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 4:04 am

Programs: M&M SEN, Amex Plat, Club Carlson, Marriott, HHonors & Accor Gold, Velocity Silver, Qantas Bronze
You have higher (by magnitudes) chance to win big in lottery.

Thanks, NewbieRunner!

I have been lurking on FlyerTalk for some time now
You have not been lurking properly. Otherwise you would not ask these questions...

Also, you would know that I am not the first and not the last who will suggest that you give your wife your C boarding pass and you take her whY boarding pass and let her enjoy C while you suffer in whY

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.