Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

HNL-SIN UA First or NH Biz w/Infant?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2017, 9:44 pm
Original Poster

Currently booked in United first connecting in NRT to ANA first both on 777s with my wife and one year old.

I noticed today that ANA now has availability in biz on a 787 connecting on to the same 777.

I am a bit concerned over the 777 first squares for my wife and child as they seem to be so enclosed going to be hard for one of us to signal the other if lets say the baby falls asleep or something and the other one can't move to lean around the barrier.

Yet, with UA first going away this would likely be our last opportunity to try it. And of course NH first looks great too. We have never sat in first before on a three class. Although our flight out of Singapore is in suites to CDG so that will be great.

It would save 40,000 miles and $300 total to switch to the ANA flights.

Anyone have an opinion on what they would do here? Is first a much better experience on these flights? If switched into business class would we have access to an ANA lounge in NRT?

oh, gross ANA has a recliner on the 787.

Who installs recliners on 787 long hauls? Decision made. first it is.

Last edited by beckoa; May 7, 2017 at 9:04 pm Reason: merged consecutive posts
Old May 7, 2017, 9:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
As this is comparing two *A carriers, we'll move this to the *A forum.

~beckoa, co-moderator Information Desk
Old May 8, 2017, 3:08 am

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
For the sake of everyone around you who takes First for peace and quiet, no infants please, regardless of UA or NH. Sorry to sound insensitive, but when your child starts the inevitable screaming in F class, I wouldn't be the only unsympathetic ear you'd encounter. You'd get a much warmer reception in C class.
Old May 8, 2017, 3:48 am
Original Poster

Yeah...im sure the people going 4 in a row with shared armrests sitting backwards in a way too crowded united C cabin are going to be so happy about a screaming infant. They will be overjoyed that we chose C over flying with 6 other united employees flying non rev in the first cabin. They are going to be so happy when instead of being able to stretch his legs and have space to stand near our feet in our own pods, the baby will be able to instead shimmy up and down the 4 across seats in C bumping everyone's feet on the way. When he needs a diaper change, they will be so sympathetic that we chose not to sit in the airy cabin where no one else would smell the diaper, but instead decided to cram him in to the united C cabin where you can smell the persons breath sitting next to you. When he cant fall asleep due to the fact that the seats are not roomy enough in the C cabin, they are going to be so happy.....

If you are too cheap to buy noise canceling headphones on a 5+ hour flight in 2017 you deserve to be "unsympathetic" all the way to your grave....hopefully without procreating someone who apologizes for "sounding insensitive" and then continues on rambling like an old fart giving out advice that wasnt asked for...before you get there.
Old May 10, 2017, 2:32 pm

Programs: AA, DL, Avis, Enterprise, National, IHG, HH, SPG/MR
Originally Posted by dvs7310
For the sake of everyone around you who takes First for peace and quiet, no infants please, regardless of UA or NH. Sorry to sound insensitive, but when your child starts the inevitable screaming in F class, I wouldn't be the only unsympathetic ear you'd encounter. You'd get a much warmer reception in C class.
This. I'd even say coach is the best place for this, not business.
Old May 10, 2017, 8:21 pm

Programs: M&M SEN, Amex Plat, Club Carlson, Marriott, HHonors & Accor Gold, Velocity Silver, Qantas Bronze
Originally Posted by dvs7310
Originally Posted by kb9522
Obviously you do not have kids...
Old May 10, 2017, 8:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by vbroucek
Obviously you do not have kids...
I think it's more about being considerate. To be honest, my wife and I have already discussed this - when/if we have kids, and we have to do a 15-hour longhaul to China to see her relatives, we are going to suck it up and sit in Y+. I would only bring a kid into J or F if they were at the age that they wouldn't start randomly bawling.
Old May 10, 2017, 8:43 pm

Programs: M&M SEN, Amex Plat, Club Carlson, Marriott, HHonors & Accor Gold, Velocity Silver, Qantas Bronze
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
I think it's more about being considerate. To be honest, my wife and I have already discussed this - when/if we have kids, and we have to do a 15-hour longhaul to China to see her relatives, we are going to suck it up and sit in Y+. I would only bring a kid into J or F if they were at the age that they wouldn't start randomly bawling.
I would never do it. I am 56 and have been in F or J with screaming kids too many times to be myself considerate to those who had not been to me... TBH, I think one year old will probably be much less issues than 3-5 yo. One year old will most probably sleep most of the time, while those other little brats will be running around, climbing seats etc. Benn there seen that...

Plus, if I can afford to pay F or J class, really honestly, why should I suck it up and go in whY.

Finally, adults can be much more menace on flights than kids are - been recently on BKK-VIE in C where couple of old farts spent all ~11 hours yelling at each other (hearing problem?) even after being repeatedly asked to tune it down by the crew... Another example was woman on LHR-SIN in C. In her 60ties (guessing), getting up every 90 minutes to have a 10 minutes walk in the cabin, regularly banging to my seat with her walking stick. Someone complained and she loudly explained to everyone that she is scared of DVT and she must walk every 90 mins... She even suggested we all should do it instead of sleeping...
Old May 11, 2017, 8:18 am

I would never do it. I am 56 and have been in F or J with screaming kids too many times to be myself considerate to those who had not been to me...
Be the change that you wish to see...

You're correct, I do not currently have children. That said, I would sooner suspend vacations that involve travel than bring a young child onto an aircraft.

Taking a small child on a vacation is a rather selfish act IMHO... Let's be honest, is the child really going to remember anything about it when they grow up?
Old May 11, 2017, 6:14 pm

Be the change that you wish to see...

You're correct, I do not currently have children. That said, I would sooner suspend vacations that involve travel than bring a young child onto an aircraft.

Taking a small child on a vacation is a rather selfish act IMHO... Let's be honest, is the child really going to remember anything about it when they grow up?
For everyone their own... And well, your solution may work for you, but not for everyone... There are thousands of families if not millions, that live across the globe (e.g. my wife and I live in Australia, but the rest of our families, parents, brothers and sister, live in Europe) and we would consider selfish denying them to see their grand kids, nieces etc. We are the lucky ones to afford to travel (in F and J), they are not... And significantly, it is cheaper for us to travel back to Europe than for all of them to travel here...

Well, according to your above post, it does not belong to the aircraft at all... But honestly, if you really needed to travel and could afford C or F, where would you sit? I bet I know the answer... And keep in mind, it is much easier to handle child where there is enough space, compared to being like in a tin of sardines...
Old May 12, 2017, 1:35 am

Programs: OZ Diamond (*G), KQ Asante Gold (ST+), Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Gold
Are you sure ANA has recliners on THAT 787? They have multiple versions of the 787, a regional configuration and an international configuration. I've only ever seen the latter fly into the US.
Old May 12, 2017, 11:22 am

For everyone their own... And well, your solution may work for you, but not for everyone... There are thousands of families if not millions, that live across the globe (e.g. my wife and I live in Australia, but the rest of our families, parents, brothers and sister, live in Europe) and we would consider selfish denying them to see their grand kids, nieces etc. We are the lucky ones to afford to travel (in F and J), they are not... And significantly, it is cheaper for us to travel back to Europe than for all of them to travel here...

Well, according to your above post, it does not belong to the aircraft at all... But honestly, if you really needed to travel and could afford C or F, where would you sit? I bet I know the answer... And keep in mind, it is much easier to handle child where there is enough space, compared to being like in a tin of sardines...
I can't help but notice your post is riddled with "me, me, me"... My counterpoint throughout has been what about others?

I'm not here to argue about values... Your question was is it better to travel with an infant in F or J, and my response was neither. You have the option of accepting this input, which you solicited from the community no less, or moving on.

I suspect you will keep moving on until you get the answer you want.
Old May 12, 2017, 6:42 pm

I can't help but notice your post is riddled with "me, me, me"... My counterpoint throughout has been what about others?

I'm not here to argue about values... Your question was is it better to travel with an infant in F or J, and my response was neither. You have the option of accepting this input, which you solicited from the community no less, or moving on.

I suspect you will keep moving on until you get the answer you want.
Obviously you are blinded by your desire to push your own opinion on everyone. Otherwise you would know that it was not my question. I reacted to those who were telling the OP (original poster) who asked that question to go to whY...

My opinion is that OP should travel with his child in whichever class he wants to.
Old May 13, 2017, 6:54 pm

Obviously you are blinded by your desire to push your own opinion on everyone. Otherwise you would know that it was not my question. I reacted to those who were telling the OP (original poster) who asked that question to go to whY...

My opinion is that OP should travel with his child in whichever class he wants to.
Whoops. You're absolutely correct. My apologies.
Old May 14, 2017, 1:06 am

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
Originally Posted by zeer0
Are you sure ANA has recliners on THAT 787? They have multiple versions of the 787, a regional configuration and an international configuration. I've only ever seen the latter fly into the US.
I'm not going to look it up right now, but fair chance NH does have the cheap seats to HNL. I know they used to run them to YVR as well but that may be upgraded now. I suppose fewer premium business pax on those routes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.