Community
Wiki Posts
Search

So when will CX join *A?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2017, 6:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
So when will CX join *A?

In the past year +/-, Cathay Pacific has partnered with Air Canada, Lufthansa+Swiss+Austrian, and Air New Zealand; *A member Air China is also one of its largest shareholders.

At the same time American Airlines recently purchased a stake in CAN-based Sky Team-member China Southern.

Given that HKG+CAN are proximate, these changes imply an alliance shift for CX. Not to read too deeply into the tea leaves..but any bets in terms of when?
Old Apr 6, 2017, 6:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I don't see SQ and CX in the same alliance.
Old Apr 8, 2017, 1:50 am

Programs: UA *G 1MM LT United Club & Global Entry
Originally Posted by worldwidedreamer
Given that HKG+CAN are proximate, these changes imply an alliance shift for CX. Not to read too deeply into the tea leaves..but any bets in terms of when?
CAN and HKG are proximate in geography only.

SL
Old Apr 8, 2017, 10:11 am

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by worldwidedreamer
any bets in terms of when?
Never (±1 day).
Old Apr 10, 2017, 2:06 am

Programs: OZ Diamond (*G), KQ Asante Gold (ST+), Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Gold
So many things point to them joining. They have partnerships with numerous *A carriers, and even have an unofficial partnership with United. In fact, flying CX from HKG-BKK last night, the flight attendant thanked us for flying a Thai Air codeshare 😉 only later correcting it to Bangkok Airlines. That seems as yet another sign. 😉😉
Old Apr 10, 2017, 4:06 am

Programs: BA CX DL KE OZ*G PR QF QR; SPG IHG MR HH
Originally Posted by Kacee
Although SQ and CX are often seen as rivals, their networks do not overlap as much as other competitors. I myself am choosing OZ and BR instead of CX, and I know people who are choosing NH more. Based on the proximity of their hubs and especially for the Asia to North America routes, the airline that will be most affected if CX joins *A will probably be BR rather than SQ.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 7:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
With CA and Shenzhen airlines on the mainland and BR (and TG, SQ and NH) nearby, it is not going to happen. There is no need for further Asian members and I guess the other Asian members will not be in favour of CX joining. Dream on...
Old Apr 15, 2017, 1:07 am
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
I think many *A members will gladly trade SQ for CX, given how SQ always try to limit/deny *A benefits to non-SQ members.

LAX
Old Apr 15, 2017, 1:13 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by LAX
I think many *A members will gladly trade SQ for CX, given how SQ always try to limit/deny *A benefits to non-SQ members.
If the question here were, "which airline would you rather have in *A?" this would be a good answer. But that's not the question.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 7:06 am

Programs: RJ Gold, AZ E+, Air Asia Platinum
Thinking that because CX has partnerships with some *A carriers means that they will join *A is just primitive thinking.
Old Apr 16, 2017, 10:04 am

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Never (±1 day).
+1
Old Apr 17, 2017, 2:01 am
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
If the question here were, "which airline would you rather have in *A?" this would be a good answer. But that's not the question.
But I wasn't responding to OP's question. I was responding to your comment about SQ and CX not belonging to the same alliance, which I agree with. Thus, my comment about CX replacing SQ in *A. Now, I don't think it will ever happen even though I still believe many *A members wish that would happen, myself included.

LAX
Old Apr 17, 2017, 3:40 am

Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
How many people believed SQ and TG could co-exist in Star Alliance two decades ago?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.