Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Star Alliance Gold lounge entry vs flying business class (no status)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2017, 5:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum

LH/LX - Star Gold will get you Senator lounge; business class will get you business class lounge (Senator lounge better).

SQ - at least in Singapore - business class flight on SQ will get you into SQ business lounge; Star Alliance Gold flying any airline cabin (outside of premium cabin on SQ) will get you lounge for Star Alliance Gold. Kris Flyer business lounge better than the Star Alliance Gold lounge.

Any other examples?
Old Jan 5, 2017, 5:53 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
There are some airports where the contract lounge for airline(s) differs for *G versus business class passengers.
Old Jan 5, 2017, 5:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Yes. The new United Polaris lounges (ORD only so far) will work just like the SQ lounges - international business - yes; *G - no, you get the United Club.
Old Jan 6, 2017, 2:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
I seem to vaguely remember ET operating two lounges at ADD: one mediocre lounge for *G members and one slightly less mediocre lounge for C/J guests.
Old Jan 7, 2017, 2:12 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold, TK Elite +, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Jasper2009
I seem to vaguely remember ET operating two lounges at ADD: one mediocre lounge for *G members and one slightly less mediocre lounge for C/J guests.
Both lounges are equally mediocre, with the exception being that the J lounge has a very slightly better food selection.
Old Jan 7, 2017, 6:46 pm

I seem to remember at TPE they have a separate lounge for *G not flying business class with Eva.
Old Jan 8, 2017, 12:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Originally Posted by FlyerGoldII
SQ - at least in Singapore - business class flight on SQ will get you into SQ business lounge; Star Alliance Gold flying any airline cabin (outside of premium cabin on SQ) will get you lounge for Star Alliance Gold.
At SIN, you will also have access to SQ Silver Kris lounge when in premium cabin on most other *A partners. It is not restricted to SQ premium pax only.

SQ has many flights around midnight (e.g. to Europe and Australia) and it makes sense to offer a decent dining option at the SKL for premium pax who wish to sleep right after take off.

Anyway, I'm more in favour of the "SQ model" than the LH/LX lounge access rules. I fail to see why (frequent) travelers on dirt cheap Eco tickets should have access to better lounges than premium pax who one way or the other paid for premium product/service. Just me two cents...
Old Jan 8, 2017, 7:28 am

Originally Posted by SK AAR
Anyway, I'm more in favour of the "SQ model" than the LH/LX lounge access rules. I fail to see why (frequent) travelers on dirt cheap Eco tickets should have access to better lounges than premium pax who one way or the other paid for premium product/service. Just me two cents...
With business class products continuing to improve overall and elite benefits being slowly whittled away, I expect fewer instances of elites being able to access a higher-end lounge than Business Class. There are definitely times where it is understandable why (Oneworld Emerald, for example, can access the first class lounge when flying BA JFK-LHR, even on a $400 'we're matching Norwegian' eco fare, while a $10k last minute business class passenger cannot).

Polaris Lounges are continuing that trend which many other airlines already do, as you mentioned. I believe AA is changing their Flagship Lounges to allow business class passengers as well, rather than just OWE and F pax.
Old Jan 8, 2017, 9:34 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by SK AAR

But with LH/LX this isn't done to reward *G, it's done to keep *A pax out of the FCL/FCT.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 11:28 am

Programs: UA MP, NW WP, AA
Originally Posted by theworld
I seem to remember at TPE they have a separate lounge for *G not flying business class with Eva.
In TPE there is a separate lounge for BR's own elites, *G and J class flyers get another lounge.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 12:15 pm

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by LAX/HKG
In TPE there is a separate lounge for BR's own elites, *G and J class flyers get another lounge.
Correct, however they're pretty much all the same lounge. Same food, just different design and decor.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 3:19 am

Programs: BA, CX, OZ
With some airlines offering higher-end lounges to *G's and some merely offering lower-end non-business class lounges, just out of curiosity, does anyone know whether the airline I hold status with (my 'home carrier' so to speak)would be charged differently?
e.g. AC lounge vs LH Senator lounge at FRA, or the Royal Orchid vs BR lounge at BKK.
Old Feb 6, 2017, 10:07 pm

Programs: TK M&S, LH MM, Global Entry, Hertz Gold, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by MrChrisC
With some airlines offering higher-end lounges to *G's and some merely offering lower-end non-business class lounges, just out of curiosity, does anyone know whether the airline I hold status with (my 'home carrier' so to speak)would be charged differently?
e.g. AC lounge vs LH Senator lounge at FRA, or the Royal Orchid vs BR lounge at BKK.
I've been curious about how airlines work that out between each other anyway.
i.e. Will EVA charge TK if I use their lounge at TPE, for example?
Old Feb 7, 2017, 4:12 am

Originally Posted by gr8pirate
I've been curious about how airlines work that out between each other anyway.
i.e. Will EVA charge TK if I use their lounge at TPE, for example?
Since you're relatively new to FT, let me preview the messages that will be coming in reply to yours (based on tens of similar threads in different fora):

- About half will be saying that the lounge owner picks the tab, the other half maintain that the airline issuing the gold card pays.

- About half have their info from somebody high up in a FF program while the other half have the info from a lounge dragon,

- About half say that if one exaggerates (s)he risks loosing the gold card, the other half say this will never happen.

- About 20% will just bring the same argument they used a few posts up escalating it saying that in the meanwhile they asked the CEO of that airline...

Of course you are free to translate CEO into a bloke at work, or anybody else.

Let's see whether I'm correct t!
Old Feb 7, 2017, 4:20 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by FlyerGoldII
LH/LX - Star Gold will get you Senator lounge; business class will get you business class lounge (Senator lounge better).

SQ - at least in Singapore - business class flight on SQ will get you into SQ business lounge; Star Alliance Gold flying any airline cabin (outside of premium cabin on SQ) will get you lounge for Star Alliance Gold. Kris Flyer business lounge better than the Star Alliance Gold lounge.

Any other examples?
BA does something similar to LH with higher tier elites getting access to better lounges (even when flying coach) than those traveling on paid business class tickets. IIRC AA also gives EXP access to FC lounges when flying international coach, although that might be an alliance rule.

In SkyTeam, IIRC the only separate FC lounges would be AF at CDG and KE at ICN. I don't think there are any arrangements for the use of paid contract or other airline FC lounges. An unusual case would be the separate international business class check in lounge at LAX, but there I think the rule is that 360s (the unpublished invitation only revenue based tier above Diamond) can use it before international flights in coach. However, it's a small lounge without many of the usual amenities such as alcohol.

There are also some anomalies involving DL's bilateral partnerships with VS and VA. For some lounges, just Gold status isn't enough, with Plats and Diamonds getting access to better lounges.

Last edited by MSPeconomist; Feb 7, 2017 at 4:29 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.